Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I've been through this process (SSDI) before myself and done a fair bit of research, so I can shine a bit of light and expand a bit on some core principles.

SSDI defines disability in a very specific manner. In order to be considered disabled, you cannot be performing what is known as "substantial gainful activity", which in 2014 means performing work that earns you more than $1,070 a month (if you're blind the number is higher) minus any impairment related work expenses. If you are approved for SSDI payments and begin making more than that monthly amount, you will lose your benefits after a trial work period expires.

You may be eligible to receive back-paid SSDI payments if approved which is good given how long the process takes, but mugrim is absolutely right that you'd better hope you have family that can care for you in the meantime if you can't afford to cover your own.

While there is an income limit there isn't an asset limit (unlike SSI) so at least that is a plus. Additionally if you are approved for SSDI you can sign up for Medicare coverage after a 24 month qualifying period (deducted from your SSDI payment) and even if you later become fit for work you can maintain that Medicare coverage (you'll be paying the premium out of your own pockets though). SSDI also offers work training and job placement opportunities for the disabled through the Ticket To Work program.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread