Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

mugrim posted:

I'm kind of surprised with the relative absence of posts. Is SS Disability not juicy enough for people?

I'm 55. I simply gave up on the whole system. It was so loving convoluted. I spent day after day interviewing and filling out and mailing forms away only to receive follow-up forms to fill out and mail back ad nauseam. It all culminated with a letter of rejection that brought me to tears. I've got years of diagnosed and documented mental issues. I have no left bicep and I am missing a ligament in my right elbow which basically renders both of my hands useless. I live by myself on the outskirts of St.Louis, Missouri. The system shouldn't be this difficult.

Each time I would go to the Social Security office, I would sit and listen to those around me. Eventually I would overhear people discussing ways to screw the system. Or I would see overweight, illiterate women surrounded by screaming kids there to pick up there benefits. Their husbands would be waiting for them out in the car, usually in the passenger seat smoking their Kool Menthols. I could see the problem. My shoulders began to sag.

A woman walked up and sat next to me. I usually wear slacks and a nice shirt, sometimes a sport coat. This woman told me that I was over-dressed. "You want help?" she asked, "You gotta look like you need help."

Then she leaned in and said, "She those kids over there?". She pointed to 5 screaming, dirty kids over in the corner. "Two of those are mine, the other three belong to my husband's sister. Next week, when she comes in here, she stops by my place and picks up my kids. You gotta work the system, honey."

I gave up. I can't fight it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread