Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Lord Windy posted:

On the face of it, this looks fair. I do think people who pay into FICA should get paid more but SSI is completely unlivable.

Does America have something like Disability Insurance outside of SSDI? In Australia you have the basic Disability Pension of about $750ish a fortnight and if you were working when you became disabled, I think for any reason, you get a payout through your Superannuation insurance scheme (Superannuation is our compulsory Pensions. It's like a 401k). Mine was about $400,000 or I could take $2000 a month for the rest of my life.

If I'm wrong I hope somebody corrects me.

There are private disability insurers but they tend to vary from being much better to being much worse. Both in terms of payout and difficulty in getting approved. If you aren't paid in at all you can get supplementary income (SSI) based on your disability but it's like $600 at most and you need to be really broke to qualify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread