Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

My mom has been unable to work since she was involved in an accident. I get so angry every time she tells me how things are going, because she has had to fight every entity at every step of the process. Her old employer's insurance carriers are being as uncooperative as possible, and her initial SS application was denied, so she finally had to take me up on my offer to loan her some money. She's "lucky" in that she was able to hire a lawyer on contingency, and is applying to SS with one of those companies that helps with that, but I almost can't imagine how awful it must be for people in situations worse than hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

mugrim posted:

It's less that she's 'lucky' and more that she has a real case. Typically you can find a lawyer for contingency if you have a case with standing.

Ehh, I'd still consider her situation pretty lucky, compared to what it could have been. There are a lot of other puzzle pieces than just the ones I mentioned, and even for the lawyer and insurance companies bit, it's very fortunate that she had the presence of mind (after getting a head injury :lol:) to hook up with a good law firm. If she hadn't, or if the circumstances of the accident had been even slightly different, she might have been forced to basically retire way early, with little in the way of income for decades.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 15, 2014

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

euphronius posted:

The max you can make on a ssa case is 6k except in rare circumstances. It is not a good way to become a rich lawyer.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear: the lawyers for my mom are going after insurance companies, not the SSA. I didn't mean to start a derail :v:

• Locked thread