Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I was just able to get SSI since my autism makes it almost impossible for me to hold a job right now or at any prior point in my life. Honestly though I think the only reason I was even able to get help was because I had letters from psychiatrists clearly outlining that with my current condition I cannot hold a job in any position I qualify for. If it weren't for that privilege I'd probably still have no stable income and I can see it being a hell of a lot worse for people in my situation without access to treatment and documentation. Even then it took about six months and multiple interviews. Also it's not enough to even help me out of the situation I am in at all. Basically it seems from my experience that even in the best case scenario it's a pain the rear end and the safety net is no safety net at all.

Honestly, I'd change SSI to make it easier for disabled people to move ahead with their lives, which would include removing the idiotic asset limit, which stops me from meaningfully saving for the future when MAYBE I can hold a job. I think that providing easier access to psychiatric services for low-income individuals, through some sort of government run and funded system would also go a long way towards helping people who have it worse than I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread