Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
I reconnected recently with a friend who's on SSI/SSDI (not really clear which yet) and medicaid. She and her mother live together and are both on SSI/SSDI, but her mother was dropped from medicaid for some reason recently. She's been having some incredibly awful times with a re-evaluation, and she didn't approach me until she was way underwater. Furthermore she got a payment from social security which somehow made her ineligible for the private disability benefits she'd paid for (loving private sector scammers).

From everything I've read I can help her monetarily with everything except food and housing without a penalty to her SSI. Unfortunately she was severely overdrawn and facing eviction so I paid her rent directly and setup paperwork to have it structured as a loan (so it shouldn't reflect on her income, I hope). I've been sending her gift cards under the table so she can pay copays for medication and eat something other than food pantry mac 'n cheese.

What's worse is she went without a diagnosis for a long time, but she's effectively crippled. Without a diagnosis SSI refused to consider her disabled (as if someone would fake bi-polar disorder and being unable to walk).

The whole situation is infuriating because of how stacked it is against her and her mother. I'm trying to help as much as I can, and I've got the means to do so, but I can't even help her through a rough patch without being super careful not to knock out her future benefits.

Sorry for the ramble, but it seems like you need a PhD in social work to understand some of this poo poo. What is the best thing I could do to help her? Hire her a lawyer? Should I consider getting power of attorney over her to help more (she'd probably allow it). Unfortunately she lives about 1000mi away, so I can't help physically.

I want to do what I can, and see her get the benefits she's entitled to. I just get so goddamned furious at the whole situation.

Edit: Mugrim thanks for making this thread and supplying some good info, can you post some legit links to where someone can go to look this stuff up in plain english? Most of what I can find is outdated or trying to sell me something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread