Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

RPZip posted:

It's horrifying, but I know it makes me depressed and angry rather than just angry. It has that dint of the implacable, unchangeable, uncaring machinery of a system that can crush any objection. I don't know, maybe I'm projecting, but that's how I feel about it and I wonder if it's one reason why the thread isn't getting a lot of responses.

100% dead on for me. This and similar subjects like UI or just about any programs that exist to help the people who need it most are so loving rancid in they way they treat the very people who are depending on them to not die in a gutter is just.... I can't even come up with the right words.

Hell I had trouble even clicking the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

mugrim posted:

It's less that she's 'lucky' and more that she has a real case. Typically you can find a lawyer for contingency if you have a case with standing.

As someone mentioned before, standing can vary wildly and the system doesn't want to take into account individual circumstances, like if your legs or back are so hosed up you can't stand for more than ten minutes of lift anything over ten pounds but the only work available where you live requires one or both. By the strict reading of the rules you have the ability to work but the people applying the rules don't care there's no available jobs you are physically capable of doing.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Are you complaining I used the wrong word (yes I shouldn't have used standing) or are you implying that what I said doesnt happen?

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Lord Windy posted:

I thought the idea was you were meant to move to find those jobs. Like if you can do a job that is entirely seated, like a some office jobs, they expect you to move to find them.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just that is how I am interpreting them.

It is from my limited interactions but its also part of the issue. Someone who is at the point of having to apply for SSD or UI or SNAP or whatever is almost never able move, or they're already at the point living with parents or friends.

And poo poo sorry should have been one post

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Slobjob Zizek posted:

It appears as if everything is just flying over your head. Mugrim is not talking about having the difficulty to stand, but legal standing. It is easy to get a law firm to take your case on contingency if you have a real case (standing).

As I said I shouldn't have used standing the legal term nor was I using it in the same way as being able to stand up, I was saying you could very easily have a situation where the spirit of the system is ignored and the letter of the rules is used. I thought the example made that clear: You may be technically employable but there is no work available you are physically capable or doing and getting a lawyer to fight for you in that case is nigh impossible. It's hard enough to win in good situations, getting an attorney willing to take it on contingency when it's going to be a long difficult fight will be a bitch.

But thanks for the derisive dick replies.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

on the left posted:

This is exactly why they would be so successful. They can spend time and money exclusively on "sure thing" cases that will lead to government money. Having experience in which types of disabilities are getting through the system, and probably also having some complicit doctors on retainer is going to mean some easy cases and easy money.

They are lawyers tho. Give them the choice of 3 cases they think are easy winners or 3 (or even 1) that is not only going to be difficult but might lose I don't think anyone has to think more than 1/10 of a second which they'll take. They are in business to make money, and while you can find one if your lucky the ones that advertise on TV are the ones looking for quick easy payouts.

• Locked thread