Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

esquilax posted:

Being old and fat with diabetes, heart problems, back problems, and weight bearing joint problems typically does not permanently prevent you from performing the essential duties of your own occupation, let alone any occupation.

Man, you must live in a sheltered set of occupations. Tell that to guys like my dad, a trucker with 3 and a half million miles on his logs who spent the last ten years of his life working the door at walmart because diabetes meant he couldn't pass a DOT physical anymore, and injuries sustained over decades of trucking (and at least one rollover wreck) meant doing physical work on his feet all day just plain wasn't possible. Or any of the people in my old industry, where cooks burn out by 40 because their back, knees, and ankles are too wrecked to be able to stand 10 hours at a stretch while twisting and lifting. Hell, I'm in IT now, and the datacenter work I do would be impossible if I had any kind of further long-term joint injury beyond what I've got.

There are a ton of occupations that aren't sitting at a desk pretending to code while you jam cheetos into your face and drink cases of mountain dew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

esquilax posted:

Half of the at-work construction workers I know are old and fat with back problems, and most private companies that employ blue collar workers go to great lengths to manage their diabetics and heart patient employees to keep them well enough to stay at work. Being old and fat doesn't prevent you from working under "any occupation" like SSDI requires, although people may additionally have disabilities that do actually prevent them from working.

But thanks for ignoring the entire page and posting personal attacks

I ignored the entire page because, as Hieronymous Alloy and Mugrim have both pointed out, the definition of 'any occupation' you're using in no way matches the interpretation actually implemented by SSDI, and does not address the very point you tried to make. I was responding to the post I quoted, because things like diabetes (which invalidates a DOT physical even if manageable by drugs), and mobility/lifting restrictions can and do prevent people from "performing the essential duties of <their> own occupation."

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 6, 2014

• Locked thread