Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Toasticle posted:

As someone mentioned before, standing can vary wildly and the system doesn't want to take into account individual circumstances, like if your legs or back are so hosed up you can't stand for more than ten minutes of lift anything over ten pounds but the only work available where you live requires one or both. By the strict reading of the rules you have the ability to work but the people applying the rules don't care there's no available jobs you are physically capable of doing.

Lol, are you for real?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_(law)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Toasticle posted:

Are you complaining I used the wrong word (yes I shouldn't have used standing) or are you implying that what I said doesnt happen?

It appears as if everything is just flying over your head. Mugrim is not talking about having the difficulty to stand, but legal standing. It is easy to get a law firm to take your case on contingency if you have a real case (standing).

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Toasticle posted:

As I said I shouldn't have used standing the legal term nor was I using it in the same way as being able to stand up, I was saying you could very easily have a situation where the spirit of the system is ignored and the letter of the rules is used. I thought the example made that clear: You may be technically employable but there is no work available you are physically capable or doing and getting a lawyer to fight for you in that case is nigh impossible. It's hard enough to win in good situations, getting an attorney willing to take it on contingency when it's going to be a long difficult fight will be a bitch.

But thanks for the derisive dick replies.

No dude. For example, Binder and Binder (perhaps you've seen their commercials during daytime television? http://www.binderandbinder.com) have made MILLIONS off of representing the disabled on contingency. Firms like this are basically an unintended consequence of the labyrinthine bureaucracy surrounding SSDI.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

euphronius posted:

Which requires massive overhead and advertising costs.

Yes, hence Binder & Binder, and the 2004 law change that allows non lawyers to work on disability cases.

• Locked thread