Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

mugrim posted:

2) Payouts - SSI is unlivable without outside help. SSDI is manageable for some, but for most it's still incredibly light.

This can't be overstated enough. I work with severely mentally disabled individuals that all require SSI to live independently from their families. Most receive around $900 a month, with those that are able work earning slightly more. The average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment around here is about $1,400 a month. They can't save more than $2,000 so any sort of unexpected expense is a tragedy.

This means they need to be supported by a dozen different agencies: supported living, SSI, housing assistance, food stamps, medi-cal, medi-care, regional centers, special needs trusts. There's endless time, effort, and money wasted on all the different federal, state, and county organizations squabbling over who is responsible for picking up all the tabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread