Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Train Fever

Releases September 4th, currently in Beta.

Steam Store Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/304730/
Official website: http://www.train-fever.com/
Interactive Guide that explains a poo poo ton of things: http://trainfeverguide.26miledrive.com/

What is Train Fever?

It is a game about trains and transit, including trucks and buses.
It offers a more realistic and larger scale approach than, say, Railroads!, presenting you with vast maps that you can plow through with trains and cars. This is like a more modern and spergy take on Transport Tycoon with a larger scale, better graphics and steam support.

It also takes the sperginess to the point of building signals, train yards, switch tracks and other similar things and does not just let trains run on a shared track willy nilly. The game requires a fair deal of planning and structure to make sure everything flows fluently.

The graphics are not grand, but rather on a Banished level, in other words a regular indie game.
The official website says this. Shameless copy paste since this does sum it all up very nicely.:

quote:

It’s the year 1850, and there are great times ahead! Establish a transport company and be its manager. Build infrastructure such as railways and stations, purchase transportation vehicles and manage lines. Fulfill the people’s needs and watch cities evolve dynamically.

Keep damage away from your company and master the vagaries of the historical context. Earn achievements and collect experience points. Build the largest and wealthiest transport empire the world has ever seen!
Features:

Randomly generated, modifiable terrain with realistic dimensions
Advanced passenger simulation
Dynamically simulated urban development
Procedurally generated buildings
No grid – that is, the game world is not limited to 90 (or 45) degree angles
Vehicles from more than 150 years of transportation history
Achievements and experience points
Passenger and freight transport
Detailed 3D graphics
Freely adjustable zoom factor

Advanced passenger simulation

Each person is individually simulated. Given a home adress and a working place, people decide whether to travel by foot, by car or by using public transport. The method to choose one of the three options is as simple as effective: Take the fastest and cheapest, that’s it!

Of course, it’s in your hands to build a powerful transport infrastructure to help people to decide which option to take.

Dynamically simulated urban development
People look for workplaces. The more workplaces they can reach within a limited traveling time, the more attractive is their living address. More attractive means a higher land price, leading to higher urban density and growth.

Therefore you can greatly influence urban development. Build a new bus line into an unconnected quarter, the quarter will grow! Build a railway connection to a neighbor city, both cities may grow!

Procedurally generated buildings

As opposed to the majority of other titles, buildings are not premodeled and instanced. In our game world, you will never see the same building twice. There is always something never-seen-before to explore!

An advanced land use simulation decides whether to build residential, industrial or commercial buildings. For instance, residential areas don’t like industry air pollution, but they want to quickly reach lots of workplaces.

Gameplay is shown in these videos from beta LPers.

So is it good? Yeah man, you can be cautiously optimistic. The beta players like it and it does seem okayish. Besides that, teh developers are very open to suggestions, such as a cooperative multiplayer/shared company in the way of Anno, down the road.

This is in English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-8ijI3RU9E

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there an end date or scenario mode to manage? Or do you keep building until you run out of money/get bored?

It looks to be up my alley.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Harlock posted:

Is there an end date or scenario mode to manage? Or do you keep building until you run out of money/get bored?

It looks to be up my alley.

Apparently Banished served as a bit of an inspiration according to a dev, where the game is ended by the player's whim. Or death.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Oh hey pre-ordered this 3 weeks ago.

One more week to wait :goleft:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is there freight transport or it's just passengers?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Judging by the screenshots and videos, there is freight.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

HardDisk posted:

Is there freight transport or it's just passengers?

Yes. Industries grow slowly by themselves, but you can influence their growth with freight, too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So when you say more spergy than TT, does that mean it is way more difficult?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been looking forward to this, it's like a simple TTD with a lot less features but also a lot less impenetrable sperg. I'm pretty sad it looks like they radically scaled back the procedural cities thing. In the "technology" preview video procedural buildings were being built in all sorts of odd shapes to fit every scrap of land, but in every beta video I've seen it's all square buildings fitting along curved roads with a lot of wasted space between. Doesn't look like a packed in european town, looks more like a US suburb.

The amount of vehicles and industries and cargos is very limited too. Just passengers plus maybe 3 two-step production chains. But, this is a very small indie game and they've clearly kept it simple to actually be able to create a polished product, and boy does it look nice and polished! I just hope in the future mods or expansion packs will add more complexity to the economy.

I also worry with such simple production chains and no real goals (just sandbox) once you quickly master how to set up basic lines and watch the trains go you'll get bored. But hopefully unlike banished they won't take 12 years to release any sort of modding tools. This is the sort of game I'd also be happy to buy DLC for. Vehicle packs, new industries. All they need to do is keep adding to the game following the features of TTD or other tycoon games. Coal mines, power plants, farms, just more stuff.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 28, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

So when you say more spergy than TT, does that mean it is way more difficult?

I thing TT is more difficult per se, but this game is more about trains that are actual length and realistic grades of the track and setting up proper signaling. And train yards that turn trains, comparing that to the admittedly difficult nature of TT; but where the actual tracks and trains are fairly arcade and simple.

Kinda in the same way that Arma 3 might be more realistic, but Cod 2 on hardcore is more difficult.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 28, 2014

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

Yes. Industries grow slowly by themselves, but you can influence their growth with freight, too.

I hope this game is fun, then. I really want a Transport Tycoon sequel that doesn't suck, even if there's only trains.

Kilonum posted:

Judging by the screenshots and videos, there is freight.

Videos and screenshots are just a little too much conspicuous for me to check at work, and I couldn't find anything in text last time. Oh well.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I've been looking forward to this, it's like a simple TTD with a lot less features but also a lot less impenetrable sperg. I'm pretty sad it looks like they radically scaled back the procedural cities thing. In the "technology" preview video procedural buildings were being built in all sorts of odd shapes to fit every scrap of land, but in every beta video I've seen it's all square buildings fitting along curved roads with a lot of wasted space between. Doesn't look like a packed in european town, looks more like a US suburb.

The amount of vehicles and industries and cargos is very limited too. Just passengers plus maybe 3 two-step production chains. But, this is a very small indie game and they've clearly kept it simple to actually be able to create a polished product, and boy does it look nice and polished! I just hope in the future mods or expansion packs will add more complexity to the economy.

I also worry with such simple production chains and no real goals (just sandbox) once you quickly master how to set up basic lines and watch the trains go you'll get bored. But hopefully unlike banished they won't take 12 years to release any sort of modding tools. This is the sort of game I'd also be happy to buy DLC for. Vehicle packs, new industries. All they need to do is keep adding to the game following the features of TTD or other tycoon games. Coal mines, power plants, farms, just more stuff.

With a game like SM Railroads! I found myself coming back time and time again. The game is not super deep and it has limited options, but building trains, like cities, has a special allure for me. I have put more than 500 hours into SM Railroads! with the only wish of it being more realistic. If this game lets me build trains that move stuff around, I am happy.

I do wish it will actually offer a multiplayer for me and my wife down the road, since that is what shines in Railroads for me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What I haven't seen any mention of is competitors, AI or humans. Even if the game is nominally sandbox there still needs to be something to measure yourself against, either dynamic goals of some sort, or other players in the market.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nielsm posted:

What I haven't seen any mention of is competitors, AI or humans. Even if the game is nominally sandbox there still needs to be something to measure yourself against, either dynamic goals of some sort, or other players in the market.

I agree. The big problem is that AI is usually super dumb, and makes up for it by cheating. If this is an indie game, I'm guessing that the AI is subpar as usual, or missing altogether.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vahakyla posted:

With a game like SM Railroads! I found myself coming back time and time again. The game is not super deep and it has limited options, but building trains, like cities, has a special allure for me. I have put more than 500 hours into SM Railroads! with the only wish of it being more realistic. If this game lets me build trains that move stuff around, I am happy.

I do wish it will actually offer a multiplayer for me and my wife down the road, since that is what shines in Railroads for me.

I loved RRT 3 but put maybe 2-3 hours into Railroads! before the lack of complexity eliminated all replay value :( It was just all too easy to have perfectly balanced networks. Factory A always needs 1 of input C. City size X can always connect to this many cities of size Y. Everything was so perfectly quantified you'd often get into situations where things were so perfectly balanced any expansion would simply throw that balance off. In a good transport simulator the more you grow the more your entire network should change. RRT3 had such a better industry/freight system, and like Train Fever goods would move slowly on their own even without you.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I agree. The big problem is that AI is usually super dumb, and makes up for it by cheating. If this is an indie game, I'm guessing that the AI is subpar as usual, or missing altogether.

I'll rather do without AI than with a poor one. I can't imagine it being any sort of simple to make a good AI for building in a free-form world like this.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
This looks interesting. I'm a bit worried it might be too simple, though. One thing I really love about TTD is the ability to make train highways with like 5 tracks in both directions running across the map to accommodate the majority of your lines, and major stations with one or two input/output lines and signals to distribute incoming trains to an available track in the station. With no mixed-use stations and seemingly only one type of signal, it would seem like these kinds of intricate systems wouldn't be possible in this game.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Shame they didn't go for Simcity style 'toy town' graphics for this, that style always suits these games far more than the weird 'realistic' ones that are always attempted (CiM2 was absolutely hideous). Also as previously mentioned the procedural stuff seems to have change significantly since they started. There's some nice looking features like the routes stuff and autoseperation, which makes it far more accessible and less annoying that OpenTTD, but other than that it seems pretty basic.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I would imagine the cartoonish style of SimCity 2013 was pretty demanding.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Metrication posted:

Shame they didn't go for Simcity style 'toy town' graphics for this, that style always suits these games far more than the weird 'realistic' ones that are always attempted (CiM2 was absolutely hideous). Also as previously mentioned the procedural stuff seems to have change significantly since they started. There's some nice looking features like the routes stuff and autoseperation, which makes it far more accessible and less annoying that OpenTTD, but other than that it seems pretty basic.
Whatever could you mean?

I was going to hold off to see if this was actually poo poo (because, I mean, the Steam store page has it as "casual", though that may be just from the user-submitted tags) because I'm not sure how much I'm going to get out of it. But the talk about switches and signals and that has me thinking about pulling the trigger on the pre-order.

I'm not even like Baronjutter in that I can be pretty satisfied even if things aren't simulated to the degree of a Borges map *.

The trailers look good but they seem to only cover the basic stuff, not any real mechanics of setting up routes and managing logistics.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I always liked that toon graphics set in TTD somehow.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I've gone against my better judgment and pre-ordered. I'll probably regret it, but if there's still something I'm willing to take a gamble on, it's an updated TTD clone. Thanks for the heads up btw, this game completely slipped under my radar.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Can you build spergy and insane track/signal stuff like you can in OpenTTD?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

While the game seems to only have "one kind of signal", that's honestly all that should be required, if the dispatcher/route-setting code for trains is sufficiently smart. In real world railroad signalling, there's rarely more than one or two types of signals. You probably can build lots of odd switching systems and all.
On the other hand it seems the options for building stations are really limited, and that might limit what you can do of interesting things.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

nielsm posted:

While the game seems to only have "one kind of signal", that's honestly all that should be required, if the dispatcher/route-setting code for trains is sufficiently smart. In real world railroad signalling, there's rarely more than one or two types of signals. You probably can build lots of odd switching systems and all.
On the other hand it seems the options for building stations are really limited, and that might limit what you can do of interesting things.

One thing I like doing in OpenTTD is building monster Ro-Ro stations with bay platforms and goods depots attached, hopefully something approaching this is eventually possible in Train Fever.

(the less loving around with entry/exit and path signals, the better)

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
This sounds like it was made for me. I can't say I'll preorder but I'm looking forward to what this thread has to say about it when the game drops.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If the game can handle this sensibly, with all signals being represented by a single type (in real-life, a signal signal-head type is sufficient) then all should be fine for me.

There's two potentially hard parts about this: First, trains need to "release" track after they pass it, so if a train enters track 2, then the moment it has crossed the switch point on the through-track, and the switch moved to straight position, the entry signal should be able to let a train into track 1 without the previous train being still or having crossed further signals.
The second is that trains leaving via exit B always need to go via track 0, so if the next train is going to exit B the entry signal must not turn green until it can set a route to track 0 and track 0 is clear.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The let's play I linked in OP shows the player talking and making signals and using them to make segments of track where the choo choos release them after passing the next signal.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Are there waypoints?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Metrication posted:

Are there waypoints?

Not yet, at least that's what I've gathered from the video. They're supposedly working on them?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I'm still not convinced the single signal type will be able to act as a pre-signal as well. One of the major components of making huge train networks is the ability to tell a train coming from a single input line to wait at a signal before a split/junction, so that it will automatically be given the next available spot at the station. What I assume will happen if you try and act as if a block signal is a pre-signal is that the "pre-signal" will go green as long as there are no trains in the space between it and the signals at the branches ahead of it, meaning an incoming train will go to one of the branches (and wait for that specific branch to become available) which is exactly what you want to avoid.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Joda posted:

I'm still not convinced the single signal type will be able to act as a pre-signal as well. One of the major components of making huge train networks is the ability to tell a train coming from a single input line to wait at a signal before a split/junction, so that it will automatically be given the next available spot at the station. What I assume will happen if you try and act as if a block signal is a pre-signal is that the "pre-signal" will go green as long as there are no trains in the space between it and the signals at the branches ahead of it, meaning an incoming train will go to one of the branches (and wait for that specific branch to become available) which is exactly what you want to avoid.

If you re-read my explanation/diagram above, the TTDPatch/OpenTTD notion of a "pre-signal" should not be needed at all. The main thing to consider is that signals should not be at the entry to the individual tracks, but only at their exits. (In the real world, a pre-signal is not a signal you stop at, but one that helps the train driver manage braking towards a main signal further down the line, he can't see.)

If you consider a signal that can turn green if it can make a valid, not-blocked route to any signal ahead of it, and ignores trains that may be in the same "block" but won't actually prevent the approaching train from reaching the next signal, then that lets you have a single signal control entry into a station with multiple tracks, selecting an appropriate and free track for each train as they arrive.

The TTDPatch notion of pre-signals really needs to go away, it's stupid and wrong.

Edit: :spergin: Whenever a train wants to pass a signal, it needs to reserve a path to a following signal (or to end of line). A path can only follow valid track and can not be occupied by other trains, or cross other reserved paths. When a path has been reserved, the signal can turn green and let the train pass. The switches on the track are changed to match the path. The train then drives along, and each time it leaves a track segment it releases the path for that segment. That means there is a path ahead of the train, but not behind it, and that the switches etc. leading in to the station are only occupied or reserved when a train is actively entering.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 29, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What struck me was the fact that upgrading stations is not a feature now. If you want a bigger one, tough tits.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This should be pretty interesting, but I will definitely be waiting for word of mouth.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm less :spergin: about signals and more just interested in running lots of different trains around. I saw "over 50 vehicles" being advertised, but that includes trams and road traffic and things seem staggered over several time periods-- does that effectively mean there's like maybe only 3 different locomotives available at any given time, or what?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Train engines can have half a decade of service, so the fleet should be tens of engines any given moment, I'd wager.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vahakyla posted:

What struck me was the fact that upgrading stations is not a feature now. If you want a bigger one, tough tits.

They've got a feature like in TTD where you can demolish a station and it leaves a little ghost icon. If you build a new station there within a few moments the system will treat it as an upgrade and all your existing trains will not need to be re-scheduled. Not as ideal as actual station upgrades, but it shows they've at least addressed the problem.

The track building looks very awesome and fun. I've always been less interested in signal sperging and more interested in surveying good routes, making choices between curves, grades, and expensive tunnels/bridges. Looks like they have enough signal options to get things done. I've been trying to get into openTTD lately while I wait for this game to come out and holy poo poo the signal system. There's like 10 types of signals and a bunch of other options. I'm sure you can get some cool stuff done but it's as intuitive as minecraft redstone, something you have to watch a bunch of awful youtube tutorials to even begin to understand.

I just hope they continue to develop the game after it's release via expansions or DLC or patches or what ever. It seems like such a good core to build more complexity upon.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Why pre-order?

There is no gain, dudes.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

Why pre-order?

There is no gain, dudes.

10% off :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU