Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vahakyla posted:

A dollar or two.

Or three! :eng101:

I'm waiting for release to see what other people think of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This game looks like it has solid bones but it really lacks meat. If mods/expansions/dlc fill the game out after release, awesome I'll pick it up. But if they're just going to pull a "banished" and release a bare bones game then seemingly vanish for half a year I'm not interested.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Vahakyla posted:

A dollar or two.

:10bux:

e: nvm, only retails for $35, I'll definitely wait to see if it has any replayability

ModestMuse fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 31, 2014

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Vahakyla posted:

Train engines can have half a decade of service, so the fleet should be tens of engines any given moment, I'd wager.
How could a single engine survive a whole 5 years?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Wipfmetz posted:

How could a single engine survive a whole 5 years?

Century. Goddamnit.

Maybe it is made in Italy?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
It's made in switzerland. The german-speaking part, even. Why Italy?

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 31, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Italy makes bad trains. AnsaldoBreda has a recent track record of delivering trains on neither time nor on spec.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The Pendolino trains delivered to the Finnish National State Railway were not on on time nor spec.

Also, after delivery to this notorious tropical climate, it was found out that they are abysmal in cold weather.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The Pendolino trains delivered to the Finnish National State Railway were not on on time nor spec.

Also, after delivery to this notorious tropical climate, it was found out that they are abysmal in cold weather.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
I'm hoping for something in the spirit of Railroad Tycoon 3 - the signaling complexity is there if you want it, but if you don't want to be a signaling sperglord you can do non-realistic stuff like let trains occupy the same track, etc.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Why pre-order?

There is no gain, dudes.
Because I'm starved for new train games and would've bought it on day 1 anyway. Also it's not a AAA title so it should be fairly safe.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
This guy's been doing a couple of multi hour playthroughs over the week or so. If you can understand german or just want to check out how the game plays, these videos should interest you : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTHcscbf3HJLzvjYu4Yau3vp6Av59wohf

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

nielsm posted:

Italy makes bad trains. AnsaldoBreda has a recent track record of delivering trains on neither time nor on spec.

As someone who lives in the Boston area (which got some AB trams ~10-15 years ago) I can confirm this

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I'm hoping for something in the spirit of Railroad Tycoon 3 - the signaling complexity is there if you want it, but if you don't want to be a signaling sperglord you can do non-realistic stuff like let trains occupy the same track, etc.

Fellow RRT3 fan! :):hf::)

I really just want a game that involves industry chains and logistics and doesn't look like it was made in the 90s, preferably one with single player campaigns and challenges. OpenTTD is a little too spergy for me.

This game looks more like the connections are an afterthought, and you'll just swim in money after 5 minutes.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I really just want a game that involves industry chains and logistics and doesn't look like it was made in the 90s, preferably one with single player campaigns and challenges. OpenTTD is a little too spergy for me.
Maybe Industry Giant 2 might be something then? You build farms and factories and shops and handle the transportation of your goods by train, trucks, ship and plane. It was done in the early 00s and looks like that: sprite-based, but kinda pretty sprites.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
maybe even something like factorio might be something for you (there are trains).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Volmarias posted:

Fellow RRT3 fan! :):hf::)

This game looks more like the connections are an afterthought, and you'll just swim in money after 5 minutes.

I bought RRT3 on Steam either before the "No Windows 7" warning went up or I didn't see it. Apparently the only way to get it work is digging all around the internet to pirate the expansion and hunt down a bunch of patches and... :effort:

EDIT: Maybe a fully fixed and patched version will show up on GOG someday.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
All I want is Simcity 3000 :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This is a train game, you should probably look elsewhere as it'll be very minimal on the city management aspects I believe.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

[nothing here]

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

I bought RRT3 on Steam either before the "No Windows 7" warning went up or I didn't see it. Apparently the only way to get it work is digging all around the internet to pirate the expansion and hunt down a bunch of patches and... :effort:

The fix here got it to work for me no problem in like 2 minutes.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/7610/discussions/0/846944689739633056/

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gman14msu posted:

The fix here got it to work for me no problem in like 2 minutes.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/7610/discussions/0/846944689739633056/

Tried it. The game looks like it's about to start and the computer makes the 'error fart' noise and I get a box saying "Failed to find Steam". Which is the same thing that happened with the other .cfg fix I tried. Thanks though. :unsmith:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's only four days out. On the fifth, I am sure someone here can post their feelings and then I will make the decision to buy. Goon testing, so to speak.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I did buy it already, because gently caress it'll probably still be entertainment for a week, if nothing else to discover all the ways the game is broken.

Edit: Hoping it's actually good though.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 31, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Here is the mod manager for Beta.

This is good news :frogsiren: since it means we can flesh out the game.

http://www.train-fever.net/filebase/index.php/Entry/5-Train-Fever-Beta-Mod-Manager-BETA/

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
With regards to modding if textures are changed easily I think something like this would be pretty cool:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=58526

Not sure how good you could make it look in full 3d unless you have correct lighting and shaders though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fintilgin posted:

I'm running Windows 7 64, and I'm able to run it. You need the patch from here, which I will briefly rehost here if you don't feel like emailing a dude for an account for a website you'll never use again. Make sure you've got a clean install, instead of using the patched exe, which is what makes the game not launch with steam.

You'll also want to look at the texture fix, but be warned that you basically can't use the single player screen with it or you'll crash. Scenarios work fine, as does starting a single player mission, saving, quitting, applying the patch, then loading the save.

Edit:

Wipfmetz posted:

Maybe Industry Giant 2 might be something then? You build farms and factories and shops and handle the transportation of your goods by train, trucks, ship and plane. It was done in the early 00s and looks like that: sprite-based, but kinda pretty sprites.

Mordieth posted:

maybe even something like factorio might be something for you (there are trains).

Thanks for the suggestions. Industry Giant 2 looks sort of interesting and the reviews aren't too bad, but I'm hesitant to plop down :10bux: for an ancient game on some random DRM'd website.

I've looked at factorio a year ago, but it seemed like something perpetually in beta. I'll give it another look, thanks!

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 31, 2014

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Volmarias posted:

I'm running Windows 7 64, and I'm able to run it. You need the patch from here, which I will briefly rehost here if you don't feel like emailing a dude for an account for a website you'll never use again. Make sure you've got a clean install, instead of using the patched exe, which is what makes the game not launch with steam.

You'll also want to look at the texture fix, but be warned that you basically can't use the single player screen with it or you'll crash. Scenarios work fine, as does starting a single player mission, saving, quitting, applying the patch, then loading the save.

Got it working. Thanks! Now to see if it's any good, as I never played it back in the day.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
OK, after having a look some of the German playthrough videos, I've decided to be an idiot and do the pre-order thing.

In reality, engines can have a 40-year lifespan if they're well maintained, so I dunno.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Most steam locomotives being designed and built in the early 20th century could have lasted 80-100 years with proper maintenance, the problem being that proper maintenance costs a shitload of money and as diesel became more powerful and reliable steam was quickly phased out. A lot of diesel locomotives built in the '60's and '70's are still in service today and likely will be for decades to come - albeit severely modified and likely refurbished more than once.

I've been following this game since I first came across it on Greenlight and considering I though it was a long shot way back then, I'm happy to see the guy followed through. It looks pretty bare bones but I've gone ahead and preordered it anyway in hopes that it'll be fun enough and there will be more to come. Also, I'm still getting my transport game fix from TTDLX and I find it ridiculous that I need to turn to a game I first bought in 1994 since there's been so little to choose from since then.

I do wish there was more (or any) North American equipment in the game, but I suspect if that isn't part of some DLC later on it will be quickly modded into the game.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Having the heartlands, rural towns and some murrican diesel engines would be the tits. If the mod tools are robust, I doubt we wait forever.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Taken from Reddit**

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jxxrhn43bM

In this video some mods are shown. First the cargo mod with new industries and production chains. Then they show some new trains and give some general information regarding mods.
2:40 - Cargo Mod - Features new industries and production chains
3:16 - Shows a factory for household items. These have to be deliverd to the towns. production inputs are: plastic, planks and steel
3:53 - Plastic factory; Input: refined oil
4:30 - Shows an oil refinery and an oil well
4:53 - Lumbermill (Sägewerk) and a forest (Wald)
5:28 - Production chain for steel is explained
Here is a part of the production chain for household items:
Coal mine --> cokery plant -> steelworks ---> factory for household items
Iron ore mine -> steel rolling mill --> steelworks --> factory for household items
7:34 - "Thus it's possible to mod any production chain one wants to have."
7:45 - shows that existing wagons are used for the new goods. But it should be possible to add new wagons.
8:30 - New vehicles - First one: Büssing D2U with animated doors and an animated frame
8:52 - VT137
9:20 - BR 420 in different colors
10:25 - ICE1
10:55 - shown Models were originally made for Cities in Motion with Blender and customized for Train Fever; Scripts are written in Lua. Other tools work as well as Blender, except for SketchUp.
13:30 - mentioning of mods that were developed by other beta testers: new stations, different user interface (large UI)
13:50 - talk about what might be possible: new industries, new buildings, new futuristic buildings, new signals, new tracks; modding is an essential part of the game and already in this beta version very easy
15:10 - talk about german community website http://www.wisim-welt.de/[1] (look here[2] if you want to see some other mods that are in development)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Sounds promising certainly.

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
I started playing Transport Tycoon when I was 5 years old. It was the second game I ever played after some Wolfenstein game which was terrifying for a kid. When I found a nice game about trains and airplains I was pretty happy. I can still remember launching that fucker through mother loving DOS prompt of all things. I am really loving excited to finally get a good 3D version of my favorite game ever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

drat that modding sounds great so far, hope this won't be too entirely dominated by the germanosphere to the point that finding mods/documentation in english is a chore. From all the videos I've seen my only complaint was "needs more production chains" and it sounds like modding has that on lock down already.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Baronjutter posted:

drat that modding sounds great so far, hope this won't be too entirely dominated by the germanosphere to the point that finding mods/documentation in english is a chore. From all the videos I've seen my only complaint was "needs more production chains" and it sounds like modding has that on lock down already.

In my experience with other games the Germans are generally pretty good about putting the thing out in English as well. They have a decent foreign language education system after all :v:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Anyway German trains are cool.

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
There are old train spergs and there are bold train spergs, but there are no old bold train spergs.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

In my experience with other games the Germans are generally pretty good about putting the thing out in English as well. They have a decent foreign language education system after all :v:
It's german swiss, not german. They're having three seperate languages in their very own country to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
When I think Choo Choos I think of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKmcJgwZg4U

Is this how the game is?

• Locked thread