Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I doubt she'd be winning any nice person awards even without her involvement with the lord regent. Even though she clearly isn't as bad as the rest the traitors (she doesn't gleefully murder and/or torture people). The worst mission is the side quest where you put plague rat in the knockoff elixir. Not only are you actively spreading the plague by infecting the street gang you're also hurting a lot of innocent poor people who can't afford the real stuff. And you know just who you are helping by doing so. :gonk:

But yeah, Lady Boyle is one of the two people who deserves a mercy killing instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

double nine posted:

This mission makes me the most uncomfortable. Not only are you killing someone who is as close to innocent as you can get in this game, if you read up on her she is more or less coerced to associate herself with the Lord Regent.

Also the non-murderous option is arguably a fate worse than death so there really are no good options here.

Yeah... The Errant Signal video on Dishonored paints a rather terrifying picture of the game, showing it to be almost blatantly misogynistic.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

double nine posted:

This mission makes me the most uncomfortable. Not only are you killing someone who is as close to innocent as you can get in this game, if you read up on her she is more or less coerced to associate herself with the Lord Regent.

Also the non-murderous option is arguably a fate worse than death so there really are no good options here.
Actually which Boyle sister you're aiming to kill changes from game to game and each of them have very different motivations/personalities. IIRC correctly only one of the three sisters is being sort of coerced, the other two are just fine with it and only one of the sisters (one who's not being coerced) is really all that sympathetic if you read their diaries or use the heart on them. She's implied to be mentally ill in some way though I can't remember which exactly. I think maybe it was bipolar disorder?

And almost all of the nonlethal options are arguably more horrible than death. I can only remember that the Pendleton twins end up disfigured, with their tongues cut out and forced into slave labor in their own mine.

And I was kind of hoping he would go the nonlethal route, just to see how Corvo would justify it too himself. Seems like ripe ground for black comedy.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Really there are only two nonlethal assassinations where it isn't a fate worse than death, they just get imprisoned and (presumably) executed. the High Overseer gets cast out of his order and winds up a weeper infected with the plague, the pendletons are horribly maimed and sent to their own mines, and Boyle is given to a stalker.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
Look, if any of them are unhappy about it, they can come kill us in retaliation. Revenge solves everything.

The true tragedy of this mission is that Corvo didn't win the special prize for guessing which Boyle was who!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, I remember spending hours and hours on these missions before finally wimping out at the last mission because I couldn't hack it. I really can't wait to see how that goes. Go go Flash Corvo! Go go Perochial Joe!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

When Corvo's story is over maybe you can do the DLC from Daud's perspective?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wonder how will he be.
And if he'll be stealthier than Corvo.

drat it corvo stop warping about making scenes around the city.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

When Corvo's story is over maybe you can do the DLC from Daud's perspective?

That's something I'm looking at. I actually still need to buy the DLC but I've already got some ideas brewing for Daud.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Glancing over thread list, "perochialjoe doing Dishonored? This should be good."
Reading OP, "Freeman's Mind style, with some speedrunning? Yessssss!"
Every expectation exceeded.

The ridiculous moves makes it go by so fast but it's VERY efficient entertainment.

Also, since I'm caught up already, I'm now watching the Errant Signal video, and something in particular stands out to me

quote:

No one remembers Gunther Hermann as the guy who really likes orange soda
The gently caress you say?!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I kind of like how that's its own objective, called "process of elimination".

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The game is full of details like that. On my last playthrough, I found out that if you snipe Pedleton with the crossbow at just the right moment, Martin believes he hit him with his own shot.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, just noticed this today and wondered how a 3 page thread had hit gold already. Now I get it. I love ridiculous playthroughs like this.

Commentary/narrative thing you've got going on is pretty funny too.

Also I never knew Corvo could get poked in the eye with a key while looking through a keyhole. Makes sense though, the game is full of neat little details.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

The game is full of details like that. On my last playthrough, I found out that if you snipe Pedleton with the crossbow at just the right moment, Martin believes he hit him with his own shot.

That's amazing, I've never heard of that one before. There's actually dialogue for that? Wish I could find a video.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, this LP is my introduction to Dishonored.

I'm not sure if I want to see a 'proper' playthrough at this point, because this is just amazing.

Corvo clearly has magical prosthetic legs at this point because there's no way he still has knees.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

I'm not sure if I want to see a 'proper' playthrough at this point, because this is just amazing.

Corvo clearly has magical prosthetic legs at this point because there's no way he still has knees.

Cave Johnson figured out how to license Chell's leg prosthetics to other video game protagonists across other universes.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Shei-kun posted:

You do, because this is one hell of a game world and its careful handling of misogyny, cruelty to animals, morality, and human experimentation is fantastic, among many other things that you're missing here. It's the rare game that contains many horrific injustices and rarely tells you how to think about it (and when it does, it's often to trap you later). Characters sometimes praise or chide your actions, but you need to see their statements in the context of their own lives and ambitions.

When I got to Sokolov and listened to him talk to a victim of his experimentation and read the notes in his room, I went up to the roof and looked out at the water and just thought about the dire situation facing Dunwall and how to address it for a good fifteen minutes. The last game that happened to me with was Planescape (I still haven't answered her question).

Actually, I think you should just play it. It's a great game on every level. I just wish it had all of its features, AND Dark Messiah's.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 29, 2014

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

The Wizard of Oz posted:

When I got to Sokolov and listened to him talk to a victim of his experimentation and read the notes in his room, I went up to the roof and looked out at the water and just thought about the dire situation facing Dunwall and how to address it for a good fifteen minutes. The last game that happened to me with was Planescape (I still haven't answered her question).

If you're doing a "good" run, your first instinct would be to let the experiment victim out. But if you listen to the audiograph, her skin's going to slough off in a little while. Crossbow bolt to the back of the head. :smith:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alV-plZLauo
Pretty cool video that also is pretty much how pJoe plays.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Pretty neatly done! I do have to admit that Dishonored is more fun and dynamic when you're being murderous, but murderous stealthy is actually just about as nuts. It's ghosting that's slow, and that's just how ghosting is. I enjoy all of those play styles, and I'd love it if Arkane expanded on that.

There had been reports that Arkane was making Prey 2, which was - I didn't play Prey 1, but the Arkane cleverness in varied combat would seem well-suited to gravity constantly going nuts, so sure. From their jobs page, it seems they are gearing up to have a more substantial Austin studio (still small with 30 people), but the Prey 2 thing looks debunked. There's all sorts of dumb poo poo to speculate about, so we'll see how it goes. So long as Bethesda keeps their loving paws off, I'm excited for whatever they make next.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Haha this is hilarious, good job Joe! :haw:

e: What's the spoiler policy around these parts? The OP recommends Unfair's LP, so anything in there should be fair game, right?

I discovered this game through this LP, frontloading the Unfair one as per instruction, marathoned both, and now I have this terrible urge to gush about this amazing game. Hoo boy what a ride! This is extremely my poo poo. It's jam packed with ethical considerations and dilemmas, and choices are rarely easy or right.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 2, 2014

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

Haha this is hilarious, good job Joe! :haw:

e: What's the spoiler policy around these parts? The OP recommends Unfair's LP, so anything in there should be fair game, right?

I discovered this game through this LP, frontloading the Unfair one as per instruction, marathoned both, and now I have this terrible urge to gush about this amazing game. Hoo boy what a ride! This is extremely my poo poo. It's jam packed with ethical considerations and dilemmas, and choices are rarely easy or right.

Thanks a lot, great to hear you're enjoying it. As far as spoilers go, I'm pretty sure most people here have either played the game or watched a LP of it. Just incase, though, might as well stick to spoiler tags.

Also, will be updating the LP this weekend. I'm about to start learning the speedrunning routes for the DLC as well so we'll be seeing the end of Corvo's adventure and beginning the madness of Daud's pretty soon.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Corvo: End your revolution (or crack a safe) in 30 minutes or your money back... somewhat guaranteed.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Christ it's weird to see this game beaten in the cube root of the time it took me too. The commentary is hilarious too, by the way.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
See Corvo this is what happens you try to drink enough to keep up with people who have a tolerance.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sam is poor.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ManlyGrunting posted:

Christ it's weird to see this game beaten in the cube root of the time it took me too. The commentary is hilarious too, by the way.

Seeing entire gigantic sections that took me a half hour plus to stealthily poke my way through get skipped in literally a moment is mindblowingly cool.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, don't mind me, just sending out a transmission so we can take over the city. Keep talking into that microphone in blissful ignorance, you'll be fine.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Literally cracked up at the four guys attacking the piano and yelling "Think you're smarter than me?"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

EngineerSean posted:

Literally cracked up at the four guys attacking the piano and yelling "Think you're smarter than me?"
Sadly, it was.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Poil posted:

Sadly, it was.

But did it think so?

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
The Lord Regent was the only target I killed when I played the game. As soon as you get into the palace he walks by with a little entourage, and it's so easy to just zip up there and stab him.

Doing this still took me longer than the entire LP's runtime so far.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Striking Yak posted:

A real testament to the insanity of this LP.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
Loved Corvo's approach to safecracking. A real methodical sort, him.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
On the other hand it does demonstrate the wisdom of hiding your life-destroying confessions anything behind a 3-digit combination lock.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Striking Yak posted:

The Lord Regent was the only target I killed when I played the game. As soon as you get into the palace he walks by with a little entourage, and it's so easy to just zip up there and stab him.

He was one of two I killed and the only one I went anything resembling loud on. The allure of a dramatic chase to a rooftop panic room overrode my senses.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can you really open that safe just by clicking on it for a while?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yes. You can totally do that. It's the most tedious and unfun thing I could think of, but you can do it. You would need on average 500 tries, so that can be done in half an hout. I guess it's a good thing those aren't 4 digit locks.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Not even half an hour! With one attempt per second it would take just over 8 minutes on average. Still super boring though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I'm sad I only discovered this LP now. This is fantastic.

• Locked thread