Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Hey, that three-digit lock would have been fine if those guards actually had human intelligence. Thirty minutes is more than enough time to gather enough men to overpower the skinny nerd trying to crack a safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The password to the safe is actually fixed and not randomly generated, so if you are speedrunning it is quite trivial to open it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I didn't realize it until you actually said so, but there actually is a dude constantly giving announcements in the Lord Regent's tower. That must be the weirdest job.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

I didn't realize it until you actually said so, but there actually is a dude constantly giving announcements in the Lord Regent's tower. That must be the weirdest job.

He probably just puts in the audiographs at regular intervals unless they're recording a new one. Or maybe he's stuck because the place is in lockdown.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Lord Regent is actually really, really easy to kill by accident. I remember deposing him peacefully - only to have the guards arresting him walk through a rewired wall. Oops.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ahah Corvo as an irritable psychotic force of nature I love it. Glitches aside I always felt that he had far more powers than the other characters/the game framework could handle.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Corvo has opponents with both bad sight and bad hearing and he has supernatural powers which help him in bypassing guards. If he does get caught, he has the fighting prowess to defeat multiple enemies at once and on top of that is given a lot of special weapons that aids him in combat. Finally, if he does get injured anyway, he has nine healing potions he can carry. Yeah, he has too many fail-safes.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dishonored is secretly a playground dressed up as a stealth game. I like stealthing around just as much as I love busting out what are essentially cheat codes for the game. I like that I can engage the scenarios in a bunch of different ways. I think a gadget run could be fun. No outsider powers, just use tools from the workshop.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Pvt.Scott posted:

Dishonored is secretly a playground dressed up as a stealth game.

That's fair to say. Demonstrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo4JH96KcgQ

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
This was the first I ever saw of Dishonored and it pretty much immediately convinced me to buy it. Game owns.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Playground sounds about right. I've always wondered if a game with Dishonored mechanics wouldn't have been even more fun in a sandbox setting rather than having stages. In particular, the chaos system would have been much more fun if you had more opportunities to just sit back and watch the disorder you cause.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Crystalgate posted:

Playground sounds about right. I've always wondered if a game with Dishonored mechanics wouldn't have been even more fun in a sandbox setting rather than having stages. In particular, the chaos system would have been much more fun if you had more opportunities to just sit back and watch the disorder you cause.

That would pretty much be playing a Whalepunk version of Prototype, so that would be cool. The discrete levels reward mastery and alternate approaches, so it's not all bad.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Hmm.. Maybe the Empress being assassinated was actually a good thing after all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I... I'm quite amazed at that speed. I'm never going to get used to it. :stare:

The spluttering was a nice touch.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I knew where you were the first couple minutes and then I completely lost you.

Goddrat you are fast.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'
Awww, RIP Terry.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

You can go right over that wall, are you kidding me?!

Glad to see you back, Joe

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Huh, you didn't have to take the Granny Rags detour?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The things I keep learning about how you can break this game are amazing.

I look forward to seeing when the game inexplicably shoves your gear back into your hands because there was clearly NO WAY you'd get to that point of the game without it so it just defaults to flagging it back on you.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
gently caress terry, I'm glad he's dead

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
How the gently caress did you get through that sewer gate? Doesn't it need a key?

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Crowetron posted:

You can go right over that wall, are you kidding me?!

Glad to see you back, Joe

Yeah, thankfully. That area sucks to go through normally. Great to be back as well. Lost track of how long I had been gone.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Huh, you didn't have to take the Granny Rags detour?

I never did any of the sidequests so that part doesn't exist.

Shei-kun posted:

The things I keep learning about how you can break this game are amazing.

I look forward to seeing when the game inexplicably shoves your gear back into your hands because there was clearly NO WAY you'd get to that point of the game without it so it just defaults to flagging it back on you.

Pfft beating the game without a sword? You'd have to be some sort of speedy man for that.

EngineerSean posted:

gently caress terry, I'm glad he's dead

I guess this proves that the Whack-A-Rat program really works.

warhammer651 posted:

How the gently caress did you get through that sewer gate? Doesn't it need a key?

If you mean the gate that leads to the area where the people were living, it doesn't need a key if you don't have the Granny Rags sidequest.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

perochialjoe posted:

Pfft beating the game without a sword? You'd have to be some sort of speedy man for that.
Oh my god I can hardly wait to see how you accomplish this.

Every single thing you've done so far has been golden, and I eagerly await the next exploit.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
In the time between this update and the previous one, I bought and beat Dishonored. I probably had the most trouble with this level, because the parts you skipped are really godawful for a wannabe ghost/clean hands guy. I think I probably ran out of tranqs, and started shooting people by the end.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It took me until the third run to find the side quest in the big open area with the train that dumps bodies between Daud and the severs.

Llab posted:

In the time between this update and the previous one, I bought and beat Dishonored. I probably had the most trouble with this level, because the parts you skipped are really godawful for a wannabe ghost/clean hands guy. I think I probably ran out of tranqs, and started shooting people by the end.
The only things godawful are your skills, or lack thereof. :smug:

Always try and go for the choke, save your tranqs as much as possible. Although I can't really give any advise on ghost since I suck at it. Trying to sneak past weepers is a pain in the rear. My hands are not only clean, they are cleaner and cleanest.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

perochialjoe posted:

I never did any of the sidequests so that part doesn't exist.

If you mean the gate that leads to the area where the people were living, it doesn't need a key if you don't have the Granny Rags sidequest.
I had no idea. :aaa:

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
I love how this game turned making soup into an ethics practicum. Pity we don't get to see how your Corvo would have approached it, perochialjoe.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Poil posted:

It took me until the third run to find the side quest in the big open area with the train that dumps bodies between Daud and the severs.

The only things godawful are your skills, or lack thereof. :smug:

Always try and go for the choke, save your tranqs as much as possible. Although I can't really give any advise on ghost since I suck at it. Trying to sneak past weepers is a pain in the rear. My hands are not only clean, they are cleaner and cleanest.

The problem in that area there is that the Whalers actually believe in the buddy system. I think it's nice that the only people that truly do know how to handle Corvo are the ones who have similar abilities to him.

(Is Slow Time 2 plus tranqs to the face massively inefficient? Yes. Is it cool as hell to take out multiple people in a blink of an eye? Hell yes!)

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

John_A_Tallon posted:

I love how this game turned making soup into an ethics practicum. Pity we don't get to see how your Corvo would have approached it, perochialjoe.

Oh but we did. Corvo isn't a fan of ethical dilemmas. Or ethics. So he skipped it altogether.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

perochialjoe posted:

Oh but we did. Corvo isn't a fan of ethical dilemmas. Or ethics. So he skipped it altogether.

"Granny Rags? Never heard of her."

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Llab posted:

Everyone can be choked out safely. EVERYONE.

I know because I did that on my No Kill, No Detection, Mostly Flesh and Steel.

And I'm still amazed at the speedy tricks you can pull in this game. I'll have to see if I can hop the wall on my high power/ high chaos run. I should get back to that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Blitzing Doud and getting the key was probably the highlight of that video. Did you, like, get out before the doors to the boss arena closed, or something?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Given that the dialogue from him says something about "running away?" I assume fleeing is actually a legitimate strategy, rather than fighting and leaving him a bloody mess only to "spare" him and pretending that's a legitimate non-lethal solution.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Nighthand posted:

Given that the dialogue from him says something about "running away?" I assume fleeing is actually a legitimate strategy, rather than fighting and leaving him a bloody mess only to "spare" him and pretending that's a legitimate non-lethal solution.
Stealth-ing the area, stealing everything and the key without Daud noticing is also supported as a legitimate strategy for this level.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Corvo is such a good person.

Remember to stick around for the DLC. Daud is itching for his turn in the spotlight considering he got all of 2 seconds of in-game time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Haha, holy poo poo. It's always amazing to see you pull off crazy poo poo like that, but breezing through the last level that fast is amazing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

perochialjoe posted:

Corvo is such a good person.

Remember to stick around for the DLC. Daud is itching for his turn in the spotlight considering he got all of 2 seconds of in-game time.

Having seen absolutely none of the DLC content, this will be a weird introduction.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

perochialjoe posted:

Nice!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Why did Corvo straight up butcher that one gal? Everyone else (unless the specific target) got to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Donkringel posted:

Why did Corvo straight up butcher that one gal? Everyone else (unless the specific target) got to live.

she was irish

• Locked thread