Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

thuly posted:

Diablo 3s story is stupid

Sweet Lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Sharmat posted:

well I didn't expect it to be good, even by video game standards. I just need to know if it's so horribly written I'll spend all my time rolling my eyes and groaning instead of actually enjoying the game

SC2 felt like a Uwe Boll movie
since you compared it to that, a good way to put it is diablo 3 is basically uwe boll trying to ape m night shyamalan

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Click click click click clickclickclickclickclick clickclick click click click click clickclick click click click click clickclickclick click click click clickclickclickclickclick click click click click click click click click click clickclickclickclickclick clickclick click click click click clickclick click click click click clickclickclick click click click clickclickclickclickclick click click click click clickclick click click click clickclickclickclickclick clickclick click click click click clickclick click click click click clickclickclick click click click clickclickclickclickclick click click click click click

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
[looks upward into camera after feasting on own poo poo for hours]: I play videogames for the story

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

[looks upward into camera after feasting on own poo poo for hours]: I play videogames for the story
i said m night shyamalan, not david lynch jackass

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

thuly posted:

Diablo 3s story is stupid

yep. stupid act 2 minor boss kills the most important character in the series.

loving retarded.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The White Dragon posted:

since you compared it to that, a good way to put it is diablo 3 is basically uwe boll trying to ape m night shyamalan

so I won't be able to enjoy Diablo 3. good to know

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I22Ivb8ELzQ

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Diablo w/tits is my jam

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

The Sharmat posted:

so I won't be able to enjoy Diablo 3. good to know

theres a "skip all cutscenes" checkbox in the menu

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jackie D posted:

theres a "skip all cutscenes" checkbox in the menu

this should have been an option in SC2

should I try Diablo 3 then?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

this should have been an option in SC2

should I try Diablo 3 then?

yeah.

it's a fun game and you can skip nearly all the story, which i highly recommend doing. after you beat act 5 once you unlock "adventure mode" which basically breaks the game up by act and gives you 5 quests to do per act. you can do them in any order and they give you gold/exp as well as keys for rifts (randomly generated dungeons that have increased legendary droprate) and currency for gambling. doing all 5 in one sitting gets you a goodie box that can contain special legendaries. adventure mode is way better than the story and there's basically no reason to do anything aside from it once you unlock it

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lmao if you play diablo

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
Is Eastern Sun still a thing?

That was pretty cool.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Parallax Scroll posted:

lmao if you play diablo

lmao if you do anything at all except wait for the sweet release of death

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Diablo 3: Ultimate Fun Edition is more like it

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
i literally loving cried when the cartoon disney villain killed deckard cain with her butterfly attack while he was being held in place by a beam ripped right out of world of warcraft

a top ten gaming moment for me, for sure

california roll fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 29, 2014

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
Blizzard used to be cool and now they are gay

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Hoodrich posted:

Blizzard used to be cool and now they are gay

No joke this is legit and I've met so many people who are mad at what blizzard has become. They feel it's like the Simpsons where yeah it exists, but it's lost all of what made it good.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

No joke this is legit and I've met so many people who are mad at what blizzard has become. They feel it's like the Simpsons where yeah it exists, but it's lost all of what made it good.

i would argue not that blizzard is good now, because they aren't, but they aren't really as good as people thought they were in the past and a lot of their big hits were just flukes

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Striker posted:

i would argue not that blizzard is good now, because they aren't, but they aren't really as good as people thought they were in the past and a lot of their big hits were just flukes

They weren't flukes it was Blizzard North who did the good Blizzard games. Entirely different studio.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
warcraft 3 was good and so was sc and wow before they turned wow gay

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

WoW is going to be more awesome than ever when Warlords of Draenor is released.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Wormskull posted:

Well if you enjoy spending hours grinding and getting nowhere like it's 1999.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Wormskull posted:

yeah Im ghonna buy it, really exciting thAT ITS BACK to nromal warcraft stuff isntead of insane panda crap. not sure which cahracter to level 90 boost though. i really hope that you can paly as a Brown Orc

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

They weren't flukes it was Blizzard North who did the good Blizzard games. Entirely different studio.

they were flukes because blizzard north did absolutely nothing of note after diablo 2, same with the company responsible for brood war

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Wormskull posted:

cartman: KITTY! THATS MY POT PIE!!!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really can't get excited for Warlords because they're making more legendary poo poo required to just play the end game. It's everquest type poo poo that goes against the original design of Warcraft.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

The Taint Reaper posted:

I really can't get excited for Warlords because they're making more legendary poo poo required to just play the end game. It's everquest type poo poo that goes against the original design of Warcraft.

wtf are you talking about

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Hoodrich posted:

wtf are you talking about

The long rear end legendary quest lines to get that one item which all classes need so people will take them to raids. Just like the awful legendary cape in MOP they're making one for WOD.

poo poo like that should not be in games in TYOOL 2014.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
diablo 3's story is like listening to a tipsy fan fiction writer who knows All the lore from previous diablo games make up a story for diablo 3

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Honestly, I want to love Diablo 3 but I compare it to Gauntlet Legends on the N64 for a number of reasons. Limited number of skills per class with no real impact or build potential, arcade style hack n' slash that really doesn't involve a lot of strategy or thinking(let's face it, some packs in Diablo II were stupidly hard to handle), and if you were to move the equipment drops to a shop NPC, you'd have Gauntlet Legends. Let's not forget the hilarious cartoon villains in both games.

I'm not one of those nerds that immortalizes Diablo II as "teh best ARPG ever zomg why didn't Blizzard just do an HD remake of it", but I would have liked the game to at least have a similar feel, but I can't even garner that from it.

E:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-QlTyfgBdg&t=55s I found a thing. I am so excited for this, and it's topical for my post to boot. I didn't know Gauntlet was being remade.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 30, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How long is the expansion btw? everyone keeps talking about how good it is but I'm not dumping $40 for a single act.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

DrManiac posted:

How long is the expansion btw? everyone keeps talking about how good it is but I'm not dumping $40 for a single act.

40 bucks for act5, a new class - the crusader which is a paladin which is awesome, and adventure mode. So almost kinda what the d2 expansion gave us minus a class but plus a full game mode with many new items and such.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

DrManiac posted:

I pre-ordered the expansion digitally, played it at its 10:00PM CST launch time, and beat it by 5:00am, no rushing or skipping side-areas. So for me it took 7 hours with a pre-existing level 60 character on Hard, since you have to lower the difficulty progressively. Mobs get harder and harder to beat if you begin on Torment I or Master and you eventually need to tone it down.

edit: I didn't fill out my map for each area though, I wasn't going for some kind of insignificant full-map clear playthrough or anything. I was around level 68 when I beat it.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 30, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

The entire issue with introducing Seasons now splits the player base in quarters. You have Normal, hardcore, Normal Season, hardcore season. All 4 of these cannot share anything with each other so You start from scratch with Normal or Hardcore season and your paragon levels don't even transfer over. When the season is over your Guy becomes a regular normal or hardcore character and you cannot re-use them for next season. Any paragon experience rolls over when the season ends but not the levels. So if your Normal guy is Paragon 200 and your Season guy is Paragon 30 you don't get 30 levels, you get the experience of the 30 levels added to your non-season paragon total.

Also if you have 10 characters you have to delete one or two in order to play a season to begin with. They're not increasing the character slots because that will ruin the digital CE edition's bonus of extra character slots.

So in the end, you now have a much smaller pool of players to choose from because of how divided everything is, to get the exclusive season reward helm you have to start a new guy and level to 70 and you can't use any of your previous items, you have to play through the 5 acts yet again, and they still have not fixed the item drops all that well.

Mind you the original idea was that you could have used your equipped guy starting at 70 and you would have been able to just do the conquest points as an extra challenge and didn't need to make a new character and it would have been a different mode like the assorted difficulties. But then e-peen got in the way and it apparently destroyed ~item prestige~ so now it's a less fun version of what was originally intended.

make diablo III free to play imo

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

this thread implies there was a time when diablo 3 was not hosed up which is misleading. the combat is good if you like pretty lights, treating every encounter the same, and pressing buttons i guess.

play path of exile instead.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

BigLeafyTree posted:

play path of exile instead.

It says it's Free to Play which makes me wary. is it loaded with microtransactions?

Dec 26, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

It says it's Free to Play which makes me wary. is it loaded with microtransactions?

i think it only has cosmetic ones but i could be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
path of exile is worse than diablo 3 which is very bad

• Locked thread