Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Yeah, I don't qualify for HARP

Is this because you're not current on your mortgage?

What makes you think a new city will change everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Groceries $450.00

I'm not one to advocate a rice and beans diet, and forgive me if I missed mouths other than you and your wife, but holy poo poo this is high. You live in a rural area so supermarkets are a thing, you're not existing on food from corner stores. My wife and I eat a lot of local grass fed beef, eggs from a local farm, and that hippy and/or expensive poo poo and we're at $400 even including tp and that stuff.

We're in a very different income and housing position than you guys are and I know we spend waaaaaay too much. However, we have in the past cut our bill down to sub $200 and still eat meat at almost every meal.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

swenblack posted:

This isn't particularly useful. $450/month is $7.50/person/day. That's really not that high. It's a step above rice and beans, but not by all that much, particularly if it includes toiletries.

Zapf has nailed it. The problem isn't spending, it's income. Even if they do a short-sale and rent an apartment at $400/month, they're still an emergency away from bankruptcy. They could probably save a little money in some areas, like car insurance or phones, but it's not going to change their lives.

The problem is income, but short term he can absolutely cut spending. Go to the Goons with spoons cheap eats thread. You can feed yourself on $1 a meal and eat well.

They're in a very desperate situation and need immediate fixes. Not spending such a huge chunk of income on food is one of them.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I don't know what to tell you. We buy whole chickens at $1.00/pound or lower, cut them up, freeze them, and use the inedible parts for stock. We buy from cheaper grocery stores and buy according to sales. We do get fruits and vegetables from these stores. We try to eat pretty healthy, and none of our groceries are organic. We hardly eat out anymore... once every two or three weeks if that. I lump my toiletries under groceries, plus any cleaning products like Lysol or something.

I could be the ultimate coupon mom but it still wouldn't fix the fact I'm going nowhere.

If that's as low as you can get your grocery bill, then so be it. It's your money not mine. It's just worthwhile to examine whether you can get it lower which it looks like you have.

I'm not judging you at all, just trying to help by putting your grocery spending in perspective. But I'm a moron so I won't try to help anymore.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

adorai posted:

The disconnect is that it is his supermarket bill, not just grocery.

Toilet paper, tissues, cleaning supplies, etc are very cheap. $50 a month at most. I get that it's his whole supermarket bill. It just seems way too high to me. Maybe I live in a magical land of cheap groceries, but like I said, he's the one on the verge of losing his house... and only thinks walking away from his responsibilities and moving is going to fix his life.

• Locked thread