Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Donkey Kong 64 was probably the tipping point for collectathons. I think the novelty of running around collecting gewgaws in 3D was starting to wear off at this point, or maybe it just felt like that since you had to do everything five times. Even Nintendo Power was like 'there's too much stuff' alongside their totally not biased praise for the game:

I guess they dialed back the collecting in Tooie but then again they doubled down on the backtracking so it's not that noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

darealkooky posted:

I dunno man the same people made banjo tooie like a year later and that's the best "collect all this bullshit in 3D" game ever

maybe they needed to ritually purge all their poo poo ideas into another game to make that game so good, like in the movie twins where to make arnold they needed to remove all his poo poo attributes and create danny devito

Well when I say tipping point I mean as far as the sheer volume of coins and fruits and crowns that you absolutely need to collect to progress in the game. They realized that was too much poo poo so they put slightly less poo poo in Tooie.

I mean on top of the crap you need to collect to unlock things, there's at least four other resources you need to manage for the different stuff your characters can do. I guess that didn't go away in Tooie with the different kinds of egg ammo, but at the same time it was all technically for single move, and the little nests of eggs would cycle through all the ammo types.

Then again it's hard to say what lessons Rare learned from DK64 and Tooie as far as collectathons go because they stopped making them after that, unless you want to talk about Star Fox Adventures (I don't).

• Locked thread