Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

AFAIK Destiny doesn't have a grappling hook so the comparison's a little off

Has there ever been a game that wasn't made better by the addition of a grappling hook?
Tenchu: stealth assassin is my nomination for best gaming grapple hook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

quote:

She leaves the Sparrow and climbs a long way across spars of volcano rock and between vents of blue fire. Down below the Ishtar ruins spark with skirmish light but the guns seem as distant and brief as the constant starfall and the brooding crater high above. She is alone on the rock. She goes on with her head down so as to fight the sense that she is going to fall up off the world and burn like an inverse meteor.

^that's basically what you can expect from destiny's writing

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

The Diablo 3 story is way less offensive if only because Bungie has their head way up their rear end on this one and thinks that obviously every one is gonna LOVE this great, rich narrative they've cooked up so we better force them to watch it.

Destiny has lengthy, un-skippable cinematic sequences filled with the worst dialogue to ever waste Peter Dinklage's time. These sequences will play again and remain un-skippable even if you're repeating a mission you've already completed, on the same difficulty, on the same character.

WHAT THE gently caress.

I don't disagree.

Benny D posted:

Has there ever been a game that wasn't made better by the addition of a grappling hook?

The Bionic Commando reboot, silly grimdark and all, was loving awesome. Too bad a bunch of manchildren were upset that he grew his hair out or whatever.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Lol people were making fun of them for this quote when they made it. Now that we know how much the story sucks, its even better.

Bungie posted:

"We like to tell big stories and we want people to put the Destiny universe on the same shelf they put Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Star Wars; we've already seen they do that with Halo. We were extremely proud of what we achieved with Halo... I'm pretty convinced we are going to do it again with Destiny in a way that maybe even Halo never achieved before," Parsons said. "What excites me is a number of years ago we talked with Activision and Activision believed in that vision, and that's why we like this partnership so much; these guys know big entertainment as well. They prove it over and over again."

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Benny D posted:

just cause 2 has really fun grappling hook stuff too

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Lol people were making fun of them for this quote when they made it. Now that we know how much the story sucks, its even better.

lol none of those franchises have good or interesting plots or settings
that "shelf" is next to my toilet paper

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

lol

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i bought this game and i sincerely regret it. i'd liek my sixty five dollars back please

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
x rebirth

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
it's loving gorgeous, though

if destiny would just steal diablo 3's loot 2.0 it'd be less soul-destroying

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Purchasing that taught me the true meaning of regret

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

To be fair, The Lord of the Rings had a super slow start. As a seven year old, I had to try reading it multiple times before they finally got to Rivendell and cool poo poo started to happen.

Perhaps more people than you think are seven years old?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So my time with the beta p much is the same as the full game. Ok shooting (with boring gun types) with super repetitive missions.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

far cry 3 had the best first person gunplay, why hasnt everyone else stolen it yet

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The warp loading screen thing is really cool when you're stoned.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Question for anyone who got suckered into buying this: do you ever talk to a NPc that is not a bored robot in the story mode?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

Question for anyone who got suckered into buying this: do you ever talk to a NPc that is not a bored robot in the story mode?

They're humans and stuff but they sound like bored robots so I guess it depends on what you mean.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

more reviews coming in

giant bomb - 3/5
polygon - 6/10

metacritic: 74 (the color of the box is now yellow)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Borderlands was a pretty boring game held up by its fun gear, quirky characters, and tone. Destiny is apparently a boring game that also has boring gear as well as boring characters and it doesn't know if its tone is self serious or kinda silly.

Diablo 3 only got good relatively recently after everyone bitched about how boring and lovely it was in the beginning. Destiny is apparently vanilla Diablo 3 only with even more boring gear.

I don't wanna sound smug, but this game looked like a stinker right from the start, and I'm surprised people were interested in playing it at all.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I just looked at the concept art and was thinking wow that's the most generic boring crap I've ever seen

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The entire purpose of a game like this is loot. Having boring rear end guns, perks, and abilities means getting that poo poo is unrewarding which makes you question why you're even playing (see vanilla d3)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

more reviews coming in

giant bomb - 3/5
polygon - 6/10

metacritic: 74 (the color of the box is now yellow)
lotta sunk-cost true believers in the games thread

looking forward to seeing the post rate of that thread in a month after everyone stops playing

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

lotta sunk-cost true believers in the games thread

looking forward to seeing the post rate of that thread in a month after everyone stops playing

ps4 players will keep playing it because the system doesn't have poo poo else

I'm kinda having fun with the game but yeah it's got a lot of flaws and I'm not sure how long I'll play it for

the metacritic score seems accurate

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Everyone in the Destiny thread is passively aggressively talking about how all the other players are idiots who don't even understand and can't do it right, and you're expecting the wrong things.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

keithy george posted:

Everyone in the Destiny thread is passively aggressively talking about how all the other players are idiots who don't even understand and can't do it right, and you're expecting the wrong things.

i abandoned the thread before release because it was already terrible, sounds as if it has gotten even worse

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
so far the biggest defense of Destiny I've seen in that thread is "you can dance lol" which does not inspire confidence

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

so far the biggest defense of Destiny I've seen in that thread is "you can dance lol" which does not inspire confidence

I like "people said d3's loot sucked during the first week too."

Uh yeah, they also kept saying that until Blizzard changed that this year.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

Only thing that's good is the art style, which is pretty nice and Star Wars-like, and the music (but there'll be no more of that because the main composer got fired for being too expensive and Paul McCartney will probably demand millions more if they ask for him to come back for Destiny 2: Electric Boogaloo).

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

man people weren't kidding about the bullet sponge bosses. decided to go back and do some of the strikes. the moon guy seriously took like 10-15 minutes of everyone unloading on him, and he spawns a million loving other dudes (which you have to kill otherwise you wont have enough bullets to kill the main guy)

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Silver Striker posted:

man people weren't kidding about the bullet sponge bosses. decided to go back and do some of the strikes. the moon guy seriously took like 10-15 minutes of everyone unloading on him, and he spawns a million loving other dudes (which you have to kill otherwise you wont have enough bullets to kill the main guy)

The trick with him is your group needs to know to focus the adds once they spawn and not dps the boss until they're all dead. He stops spawning them at about 50% and then it's just another 20 minutes of shooting him and the fight is over.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I like "people said d3's loot sucked during the first week too."

Uh yeah, they also kept saying that until Blizzard changed that this year.

Destiny will be loving rad in 2016

Destiny 2 GOTY 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The trick with him is your group needs to know to focus the adds once they spawn and not dps the boss until they're all dead. He stops spawning them at about 50% and then it's just another 20 minutes of shooting him and the fight is over.

actually the trick is to not play destiny

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

There's also all sorts of destinies, don't forget!

Slightly more serious answer: there was a big space ball on Mars and some astronauts found it. The space ball knew all about science and we learned a lot from it like how to make floating robots who sound like Tyrion Lannister and how to use midichlorians. Then some bad stuff happened and only one city that was directly shielded by the Space Ball survived, and then the Covenant came but there are four main groups who don't like each other very much.

It is your destiny to get loot, Diablo/Borderlands-style while shooting things Halo/Borderlands-style.

Your *Destiny.*
but what's the shoehorned-in moral message that a 10th grader could have come up with?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Vargs posted:

actually the trick is to not play destiny

That is more effective, yes, but some of us have no other choice. :(

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

pre launch i was so hyped, i thought i was going to easily hit 20 on each class and raid in destiny and poo poo and now i dont know if i'll even make it to 20 on a single character

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Yes, yes, let the Destiny mocking begin :kheldragar:

It looks like the Avatar of games; super safe, tame and flat after being focus-grouped to the nth degree.

For all the criticism levelled at Titanfall as another hyped up game, at least it has an edge to it and does some fairly confident ballsy things, like not pandering to the MLG/COD crowd with excessive unlocks, featuring women prominently, no singleplayer campaign, AI minions, etc.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

psyman posted:

Yes, yes, let the Destiny mocking begin :kheldragar:

It looks like the Avatar of games; super safe, tame and flat after being focus-grouped to the nth degree.

For all the criticism levelled at Titanfall as another hyped up game, at least it has an edge to it and does some fairly confident ballsy things, like not pandering to the MLG/COD crowd with excessive unlocks, featuring women prominently, no singleplayer campaign, AI minions, etc.

No you see titanfall is worse because xbone

Dec 26, 2012

6? what is this foreign number?

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Ekster posted:

I just looked at the concept art and was thinking wow that's the most generic boring crap I've ever seen

destroy conceptart.org & the feng zhu school of design

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

have there been any good hi profile 2014 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

i really need to get a wii u

• Locked thread