Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

elf help book posted:

gamers are retarded

E: proof VVV

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
saw a buddy play destiny yesterday. was very unimpressed, gunplay is 110% uninspiring, jetpacks fail to significantly change any sort of movement dynamic, abilities seemed to be very borderlands with 2-3 min cooldowns on everything.

it is literally the "safest" possible console fpsrpg, and suffers because it wants to be borderlands so badly. (which is baffling imo, borderlands 1/2 were pretty dire.)

has anyone made a good fpsrpg ever? i am excluding systemshock and deusex because they did not have enemy levels.

e: i am also excluding strife

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 15, 2014

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

01011001 posted:

i cant even fathom someone loving this up

from what i saw, jetpacks are just really slow extra height (3-5 ft?) on your jump or the ultimate for one class

e: remember the jetpacks in halo? the jetpacks in destiny are worse.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

titan jetpacks actually get a good deal of extra height, but you don't get any real control and it's basically just a super jump

also there are invisible walls loving EVERYWHERE

yeah, my buddy was playing as a warlock

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Harrow posted:

Light doesn't come in until you reach max level. It's ostensibly a way to level beyond the maximum (20), but in practice it's pretty much just MMORPG-style item level but only one number actually matters. It's a pain, but (to me, at least) it isn't a complete game-killer.

Destiny is structurally a lot like PSO. If the idea of playing Halo mixed with PSO appeals, you could do a lot worse than give Destiny a shot. Just know that once you hit level 20, there'll be one stat that's inarguably more important than any other, and you'll have to start collecting tokens and increasing faction reputation to get legendary gear to increase it. (Don't worry--faction "grinds" in Destiny aren't steep at all and are only going to feel like a real grind if you decide you have to be raiding within a week of starting to play the game.) Do yourself a favor and don't try to farm for good drops--unidentified items in Destiny are even more of a gamble than they are in most other games. You should think of them as pulls on a slot machine, not as a reliable route to gearing up.

Also PvP is a surprisingly good way to level quickly and gain good gear in the process.

And honestly I do think it'll grow into a really great game eventually. If you feel like getting in on the ground floor of a game that's mostly pretty fun but hasn't yet explored most of its potential, go ahead. I'm still enjoying it, despite some of the stupider decisions Bungie made.

My opinion may change if a month or two goes by and Bungie hasn't even acknowledged the lack of social features, but until then I'm overall fairly positive on it. I at least felt like I got my $60 worth already.

Counterpoint: levels, loot, and leveling mechanics in fpsaction games are dumb/bad

• Locked thread