Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i played the beta and i liked how it felt like halo but with loot. it was like borderlands if borderlands wasnt bad. i played pvp with friends and it was cool. i am looking forward to the game a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i think goons are overhyping it, as they tend to do with basically everything.

if you didn't think the beta was that great OP i doubt the release will be that much better

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Overbite posted:

maybe its something wrong with me, whenever there's a huge hyped game the press and "gamers" are going nuts about i always fail to see why it's so great. Bioshock infinite, the last of us, and now destiny are all kind of middling? except bioshock infinite thjat was a huge turd and i regret paying full price.

I mean TLOU was a cover shooter with well produced cutscenes yet critics held that thing up like it was the drat lion king and went LOOK! LOOK AT THIS ART! THIS IS THE PINNACLE OF GAMING AS A MEDIUM! when it was just a regular old game done better. cover shooter with cutscenes. doesn't even tell its story in a way that only a game could do.

i know what you mean, i thought TLOU and bioshock infinite were both extremely overrated games. i dont understand why either of them gets praised as much as they do.

that being said, i'm enjoying destiny on it's own merits. i didnt even care about it until i played the beta, which i thought was fun and cool. goons are definitely overhyping it because as someone else noted neither next gen console has a quality selection of games yet.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Hoodrich posted:

bioshock infinite is one of the worst games ever made and the last of us is a console only gears of war game. idk where you are reading that theyre so great unless you are literally browwsing ign or wahtever

actually a lot of people really liked tlou. recently, the playstation 4 thread (following that thread is my shame) broke into a multiple page discussion about how Freaking Epic and Deeply Win the story in tlou is.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wonderful 101 was just an average game and they only latched onto it because the Wii-U had next to nothing out at the time. People had a ton of issues with Okami and Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2. Not a whole lot of people liked Bayonetta.

It fits the list.

reminder: the reaper played the wonderful 101 on very easy mode and cant draw unite gun or whip

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

halo is good, and fun.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i think 85 is a good place for it to be. it's definitely a well made game, but at the same time it definitely has issues and bungie could have done a lot more with it. their initial ideas were much more science fantasy and i hope we see bungie getting more creative with the later destiny games

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

honestly, i would liken destiny to an infamous game. with the setting they had the perfect chance to be extremely creative and do something new and refreshing, but instead they chose to do just normal video game stuff. they're both well made games, but destiny really would have benefited from taking more chances and being more creative. unskippable cutscenes are also extremely dumb, and bad.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

keithy george posted:

Everyone in the Destiny thread is passively aggressively talking about how all the other players are idiots who don't even understand and can't do it right, and you're expecting the wrong things.

i abandoned the thread before release because it was already terrible, sounds as if it has gotten even worse

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

man people weren't kidding about the bullet sponge bosses. decided to go back and do some of the strikes. the moon guy seriously took like 10-15 minutes of everyone unloading on him, and he spawns a million loving other dudes (which you have to kill otherwise you wont have enough bullets to kill the main guy)

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

pre launch i was so hyped, i thought i was going to easily hit 20 on each class and raid in destiny and poo poo and now i dont know if i'll even make it to 20 on a single character

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i've actually been having a lot more fun with the game now that i got to mars and started finding good loot. destiny has issues, you'd be an idiot to deny that, but i honestly think this is a pretty good game (that could have been way better if bungie hadn't played it so safe).

at the very least, it's much better than borderlands

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

borderlands is really, really bad so if destiny's pitch is "borderlands that is better than borderlands" that does not fill me with confidence, also its a lovely console shooter i can barely contain my excitement and interest

aside from both having loot i don't really think they're that similar. that being said, i was mainly trying to be snide because there are a bunch of dumb goons who think borderlands is actually really good.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

just did the old russia strike for the first time since the beta

it's still loving awful. easily the worst strike in the game. every boss has way too much hp, it takes too loving long, people still can't do it. it's harder than the venus strike, which was actually pretty fun.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

supposedly the 500mil number is the 10 year war chest, not the actual budget for destiny 1.

anyway, the more i play destiny the more i like it. it drags early on but as you start gaining levels it really picks up. mars is really fun, and the cabal are really satisfying to fight. at higher levels too better quality loot starts dropping, as in once you get past 15 you rarely see white quality loot from enemies. the moon and earth are pretty dry, they played things super safe in terms of design, strikes definitely needed more testing (some of the boss HP values are just stupid), but i'm having fun in spite of all this.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Widestancer posted:

Does it have memes so goons can go ugh

there was a line from the alpha that became a meme, which bungie removed from the beta and final release. they made a video referencing it, though

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

ODST was the best halo game.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

seriously most MMOs are more exciting to level in than destiny is

also the dungeons have more interesting fights than "KILL WAVES!" and "BULLET SPONGE BOSS WITH 40 WAVES OF ADDS"

I'm kinda having fun with destiny but I just did a strike that was a huge loving ordeal and I didn't get poo poo for upgrades so I think I'm going to take a break from it because gently caress that

yeah i'm starting to grind strikes because i hit 20 on all my characters and the fun is quickly drying up. there's some interesting design here, but i don't think the traditional mmo style bosses work in an fps with ammo, because it basically makes every boss fight feel very samey. they all have to have waves of dudes spawning so players can restock on ammo. it's basically what i was worried would happen. i haven't raided yet or followed the destiny thread so i don't know what raids are like.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i just started getting into the light grind and yeah. i haven't even queued for the daily strike thing because it's level 22 and i'm level 20 and i'd just be useless. i can't wait to get to 22 and then have level 19 people show up in my level 22 strikes.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

there are plenty of social features, such as being able to see what clan you are in under your username and nothing else

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Schnedwob posted:

The intermittent comparisons to PSO are sort of making me want to play this, but the other stuff- mainly that Light garbage- is a major turn-off. I can't imagine how frustrating that poo poo must be as a player getting matched into a higher level, not to mention the other players that you're now bringing down purely due to a lovely stroke of luck

well, you only get matched like that if you choose to do so. it's entirely voluntary, but i don't think it should be an option for players who are basically useless from a numerical standpoint to be able to queue for something. that being said, i know for a fact that people would complain just as much or more if they locked the queue option until you were that level so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

AHungryRobot posted:

it's sounding like destiny is making a lot of the same mistakes borderlands 2 made

eh, i'd say it's making different ones. the scaling isn't out of control and stupid like borderlands 2, and you can actually find good gear. destiny's is more on just conforming to traditional mmo/fps stuff.

• Locked thread