Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Epic impzone-exclusive content, steaming hot For You

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Buschmaki posted:

Console shooters are okay if you're young like me and started out playing Goldeneye 64 and stuff like that, getting used to shooting on an N64 conttoller pretty much familiarizes you with almost all of the controllers out there.

My first FPS was also Goldeneye (or maybe the first-person sections in Banjo Tooie, which were basically goldeneye) but that doesn't change the fact that aiming with your thumbs is Turdsville. Not to mention the generally limited nature of poo poo like navigating menus, number of buttons available, and general complexity which are often pretty different between a shooter intended for consoles and a shooter intended for PCs- not to mention the difference between the two platform's playerbases :jerkbag:

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

PantsBandit posted:

*switches weapons via a wheel like a big gay baby* Man, this literal poo poo is delicious!

at least if your piddly console shooter lets you hold more than two weapons at a time

e: lol quoted a totally different person. Sorry Protag!

Schnedwob fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 17, 2014

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
ODST was definitely peak Halo. Between the noir-rear end soundtrack and how gorgeous New Mombasa was, even just wandering was really enjoyable

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

chumbler posted:

You have to crawl through the mud before you can truly appreciate the greatness of walking on a sidewalk that was laid 30 years ago and has had a few tree roots grow through it.

"let me hit you in the dick for an hour, and you might get a sweaty, unsatisfying high five" wow what an enriching experience, thanks Bungie

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

CharlestonJew posted:

bungie said they were gonna turn this into a 10 year franchise right?

They already did- 10 year olds are the only folks gullible enough to buy it!

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
The intermittent comparisons to PSO are sort of making me want to play this, but the other stuff- mainly that Light garbage- is a major turn-off. I can't imagine how frustrating that poo poo must be as a player getting matched into a higher level, not to mention the other players that you're now bringing down purely due to a lovely stroke of luck

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Silver Striker posted:

well, you only get matched like that if you choose to do so. it's entirely voluntary, but i don't think it should be an option for players who are basically useless from a numerical standpoint to be able to queue for something. that being said, i know for a fact that people would complain just as much or more if they locked the queue option until you were that level so :shrug:

ahhh, okay. that's slightly less lovely. I'm still wondering, though, why they thought it would be a good idea to negate 100% of the damage below a certain light level. like the half-damage sucks, sure, but at least you can still do stuff

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Harrow posted:

Light doesn't come in until you reach max level. It's ostensibly a way to level beyond the maximum (20), but in practice it's pretty much just MMORPG-style item level but only one number actually matters. It's a pain, but (to me, at least) it isn't a complete game-killer.

Destiny is structurally a lot like PSO. If the idea of playing Halo mixed with PSO appeals, you could do a lot worse than give Destiny a shot. Just know that once you hit level 20, there'll be one stat that's inarguably more important than any other, and you'll have to start collecting tokens and increasing faction reputation to get legendary gear to increase it. (Don't worry--faction "grinds" in Destiny aren't steep at all and are only going to feel like a real grind if you decide you have to be raiding within a week of starting to play the game.) Do yourself a favor and don't try to farm for good drops--unidentified items in Destiny are even more of a gamble than they are in most other games. You should think of them as pulls on a slot machine, not as a reliable route to gearing up.

Also PvP is a surprisingly good way to level quickly and gain good gear in the process.

And honestly I do think it'll grow into a really great game eventually. If you feel like getting in on the ground floor of a game that's mostly pretty fun but hasn't yet explored most of its potential, go ahead. I'm still enjoying it, despite some of the stupider decisions Bungie made.

My opinion may change if a month or two goes by and Bungie hasn't even acknowledged the lack of social features, but until then I'm overall fairly positive on it. I at least felt like I got my $60 worth already.

poo poo, this actually sounds pretty alright. If it ends up coming to PC I'll probably get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Minrad posted:

i wish pso2's localization wasn't abandoned

i wish i had time for a game like that

• Locked thread