Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

It's because ps4 owners are starved for games and latch desperately onto whatever they can get

The same thing happened with titanfall. People are just louder about destiny and will play it for longer because more people own ps4s than xbones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Wormskull posted:

He doesn't understand that pubbies (i.e., Not Goons) are generally easily satisfied morons, due to him being a dysfunctional clown.

goons overhype the poo poo out of sub par at best games too

see: alpha protocol, gone home, anything by team ico

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

No I can draw, it's the wii-U pad which can't recognize it. poo poo has the hardest time recognizing the hammer.

you also complained about needing to flail desperately to make motions work for the wii controllers so I think you should see a doctor about your motor skills

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Crown Face posted:

"I'm addicted to a game that I know has very real design and storytelling flaws, 9.5/10. See also: My 10/10 review for Candy Crush and cigarettes."

To be fair, most of the other early reviews are more logical and it's sitting at 85 right now. I didn't think it'd be below 90 at any point since it's so hyped and reviewers seem terrified of giving ps4 games poor scores.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Mach2 posted:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/11/paul-mccartney-didnt-receive-a-check-for-his-destiny-work/
What the actual gently caress was all the money spent on, then? Cheetos for the devs?

Marketing and the game was in development forever.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Purchasing that taught me the true meaning of regret

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The warp loading screen thing is really cool when you're stoned.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

Question for anyone who got suckered into buying this: do you ever talk to a NPc that is not a bored robot in the story mode?

They're humans and stuff but they sound like bored robots so I guess it depends on what you mean.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

lotta sunk-cost true believers in the games thread

looking forward to seeing the post rate of that thread in a month after everyone stops playing

ps4 players will keep playing it because the system doesn't have poo poo else

I'm kinda having fun with the game but yeah it's got a lot of flaws and I'm not sure how long I'll play it for

the metacritic score seems accurate

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

so far the biggest defense of Destiny I've seen in that thread is "you can dance lol" which does not inspire confidence

I like "people said d3's loot sucked during the first week too."

Uh yeah, they also kept saying that until Blizzard changed that this year.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Silver Striker posted:

man people weren't kidding about the bullet sponge bosses. decided to go back and do some of the strikes. the moon guy seriously took like 10-15 minutes of everyone unloading on him, and he spawns a million loving other dudes (which you have to kill otherwise you wont have enough bullets to kill the main guy)

The trick with him is your group needs to know to focus the adds once they spawn and not dps the boss until they're all dead. He stops spawning them at about 50% and then it's just another 20 minutes of shooting him and the fight is over.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Vargs posted:

actually the trick is to not play destiny

That is more effective, yes, but some of us have no other choice. :(

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

psyman posted:

Yes, yes, let the Destiny mocking begin :kheldragar:

It looks like the Avatar of games; super safe, tame and flat after being focus-grouped to the nth degree.

For all the criticism levelled at Titanfall as another hyped up game, at least it has an edge to it and does some fairly confident ballsy things, like not pandering to the MLG/COD crowd with excessive unlocks, featuring women prominently, no singleplayer campaign, AI minions, etc.

No you see titanfall is worse because xbone

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

DrManiac posted:

At least most major reviewers seem to be giving ~6 so baby steps

Honestly 6-7 is about where it belongs.

It isn't particularly good and doesn't exactly break new ground in anything, but it's not a terrible game and it's playable which is more than most poo poo that gets less than 6 can say.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Honestly the more I play this game the more it makes me want to play diablo, a game with a better loot system, or planetside 2, a game with better multiplayer and shooter mechanics.

So I guess it's a success on some level.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

01011001 posted:

this game reminds me of better games which are also not very good, and therefore it is a success

that is the level on which it is a success, yes

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Chelovek-Govno posted:

Ah yes, on that level: it is a success.

Thank you for explaining his post for the mentally retarded among us (which is another way of saying that I didn't understand his post because I'm a moron [stupid people can have trouble parsing even the simplest of statements somtimes]).

he was clearly having trouble parsing what I was saying and was repeating it, so I confirmed that he was correct in his interpretation

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Chelovek-Govno posted:

To that extent, it is a good game on that level, as far as that goes.

you're a bad poster and you seem to have a weird boner for what I said

I'm flattered

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Chelovek-Govno posted:

As far as having a weird boner for what you said goes, yes, I am a bad poster on that level.

so are we gonna make out now?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

the game has clans but as far as I can tell all that does is let you talk to each other on the bungie website because it doesn't have an option to add clanmates to your group or talk to them in game or anything

so I guess it doesn't really have clans, it just has a lovely social networking site with groups you can join

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Anime Device posted:

Will you tell me whether Destiny is worth it?

if you can get it on sale and have other people to play with then yeah kinda

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Wales Grey posted:

from what i saw, jetpacks are just really slow extra height (3-5 ft?) on your jump or the ultimate for one class

e: remember the jetpacks in halo? the jetpacks in destiny are worse.

titan jetpacks actually get a good deal of extra height, but you don't get any real control and it's basically just a super jump

also there are invisible walls loving EVERYWHERE

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

matrix ripoff posted:

warlock sucks, titan is boring, hunter makes the game bearable

nah, titan is pretty fun if you go defender because it's just charge everything and poo poo out shield bubbles

quote:

it still sucks tho

yeah, kinda

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

500 Million to develop something average isn't really worth it either.

It doesn't matter how good it is compared to the cost of development as long as it turns a profit in the long run, and it's been proven games don't need to be above average to turn a profit.

That being said; I kinda doubt destiny was ever going to turn a profit, just because of how much money they dumped into it, even if it was the most amazing game ever created.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

you're not getting any of that profit though why should you care

I don't?

I was explaining that the quality:cost ratio is meaningless.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

it kind of does matter if the game is good or not when you pay for it

it doesn't matter in regards to whether the company sees it as a success or not, which was being discussed

"$60 isn't worth it for a mediocre at best game" is a completely different statement from "$500m development cost isn't worth it for a mediocre at best game" and I was responding to the second statement

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Ragg posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

he thinks it's going to be like last of us due to stylistic choices

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Protagonist posted:

lol if you don't key select the right weapon at the right time for the job at hand

Chivalry forced me to start doing this because the wheel is mapped to attacks.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

I like how Bungie is trying to use the classic "Oh it gets good about this many hours into the game" argument. That begs the question, "Why wasn't it good from the start, you dumb gently caress?"

seriously most MMOs are more exciting to level in than destiny is

also the dungeons have more interesting fights than "KILL WAVES!" and "BULLET SPONGE BOSS WITH 40 WAVES OF ADDS"

I'm kinda having fun with destiny but I just did a strike that was a huge loving ordeal and I didn't get poo poo for upgrades so I think I'm going to take a break from it because gently caress that

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

like why is there even a 10 page thread dedicated to people bitching about a game of middling quality wherein virtually nobody has actually played the game. Really weird how bungie games seem to bring out the crazies.

All of my complaints are being made after playing the game a good amount.

Silver Striker posted:

there are plenty of social features, such as being able to see what clan you are in under your username and nothing else

Yeah I don't even know why they included clans at this point. Was it that difficult to have a clan member list like friends and local or is it like that by design?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SarutosZero posted:

Light sounds like a really good mechanic to ensure you can always play a coop console shooter with your friends who may have different schedules and availability to grind.

There's nothing locking you out of grouping with a friend 10 levels lower than you so I see no reason to use the mechanic to gimp yourself while playing with a lower level friend.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

BrettRobb posted:

It's more likely that bungee didn't pay, but I don't believe that either.

Game journalists are literally biting the hand that feeds them to make it seem like they have integrity.

Destiny has really been getting reasonable scores, with a few outliers. It's pretty fun but it has a lot of issues and doesn't deserve much over 7/10 in its current state.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

honestly I've seen worse games get 8s and 9s. I've been having a blast with the pvp and I really like that you can seamlessly transfer guns and equipment from the campaign to the versus modes. That alone makes up for the problems it has imo but I guess it's all subjective.

"I've seen worse games get better scores" is completely subjective.

The fact you have the weapon bonuses in PvP is somewhat interesting but the PvP itself isn't anything amazing and I don't feel it can carry the issues with poorly designed single player content, which is the bulk of the game. Supposedly the raid stuff is interesting and more than just "boss is a bigger, bullet sponge, version of a regular enemy" that strikes have going on, but I haven't gotten to the raid stuff due to the garbage loot system. Even if I was geared for it the might-as-well-be-nonexistent clan system seems like it doesn't help in getting a group together for it in any real capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

see I think it's just a certain type of game that appeals to a certain type of person though.

This is probably where our divergence is coming from because that describes a niche game and, unless it is absolutely amazing, I am not of the opinion that niche games should be over 8/10. If you're aiming for a specific subset of people that's great, but it will turn off a lot of other people and that is reflected in scores.

We also need to move away from this mindset of "anything less than 9/10 means garbage" and that's something that needs to be done by reviewers.

Honestly people should stop giving a poo poo about reviews and sales figures and poo poo. If you're enjoying it currently that should be all that matters to you.

• Locked thread