Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Does this game have the Flood? If not then thanks I can save my $60 because lmao if I would ever give bungie money again after they hosed up and forget to include them in reach, odst, and halo 4. The best enemies in any shooter in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Silver Striker posted:

ODST was the best halo game.

ODST was very good and is the only game I will miss from the 360.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Why would they be in Reach or 4? They were all sealed up yet in Reach, and were all killed at the end of 3. And ODST... takes place before they get to Earth (if they even did, which I don't even remember.)

All of those games would have been better with the flood so they should have put them in. Maybe when they rerelease the games on xbox one they will retroactively add the flood in, that would make them perfect games. The covenant were only there to make you forget that the flood would be in a game and then you were like BAM oh poo poo its the flood this just got real. Then youd spend the rest of the game shooting at awesome enemies who bungie made hard by giving them lots of health and poor ai over and over again in repetitive missions while telling everyone around you that yes this game is perfect and fun and full of new ideas

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

yes the flood were very bad the first time and showed up in two more games after that

the zombie multiplayer mode was fun though.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Its very strange that some of the worst parts of MMOs are being touted as the greatest parts of Destiny and everyone who doesn't get why they should think its amazing is dumb. Grinding for gear with higher numbers just so you can do a new dungeon that requires higher numbers to beat isn't cool gameplay. Just make the dungeon fun and challenging to begin with that gets easier as your skill with the game improves rather than it only being fun if your numbers are high enough.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Harrow posted:

Also, the exotic items are pretty good. They often change just enough about how that weapon type/your character abilities work that they feel special and which exotics to use becomes an interesting choice. So good work on those, Bungie! You successfully made MMO gear that isn't just about higher numbers. Most MMO developers still can't pull that off, so that really is something special. There are guns I want to get because of how they handle or armor pieces I want that change how, say, my grenades or my super ability behave. Cool!

This is cool and the way loot or gear should be handled. Why should I give a poo poo if grinding for gear gives me a +1% crit chance? Getting cool gear should have cool effects on your gameplay by either giving you new abilities or adding side-grade options to your already existing gameplay.

Harrow posted:

But then there's the Light system. Then you go ahead and implement that stupid thing. I thought it was a neat idea at first--max level is 20, but you can get above that level by equipping gear with the Light stat on it--but in practice it's pretty much just item level. Even worse, because of the way levels work in Destiny, it's an extremely rigid content gate. Bungie knew that skilled players could probably beat content five or more levels higher than their character, regardless of the stats on their gear, and to prevent that, they made level (and therefore Light level) super loving important. If you're one level lower than an NPC target, you do 30% less damage. Two levels lower, 40% less. Three levels, 50% less. Four levels or more? Can't even scratch them. So it's pretty loving obvious that they don't want you fighting enemies that are a higher level than you, like, at all, ever.

But then they make it so you can go ahead and queue for strikes (dungeons) that are a higher level than you. And you can be matched with people who are the appropriate level for that strike and basically contribute no damage because your arbitrary level stat is too low. This ended up worsening the perception that bosses are dumb bullet sponges because players made the (very reasonable) assumption that if they're allowed into a strike they can probably complete it, and had no idea that the reason the bosses were taking twice as long to die as they should is because they were doing almost half damage. (Oh, yeah. The game doesn't tell you about the level-difference damage penalty.)

I stick by my claims that Destiny has the foundation of a potentially really goddamn awesome game, but boy, oh, boy does it have a long way to go to get there.

This is terrible and is like the opposite of fun game design. I would like to see someone try and defend this system because it sounds really bad. And hiding bad arbitrary game mechanics that severely inhibit your ability to play without explaining it to you is even worse.

Designing content that only the elite of the elite of your players are going to progress through and experience because they spent the 200 hours grinding proper gear is terrible. Content should be accessible to the average player because that's the majority of who's buying and playing your game despite how much the elite players bitch about casuals ruining the experience.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Harrow posted:

To be fair, I get why Light exists. Destiny follows an MMO-ish model (maybe closer to Phantasy Star Online), and that means the real content of the game is other players. So you want player retention: you want to keep as many people as you can playing for as long as you can, because it draws more people in and it's self-perpetuating.

But content like maps, strikes, raids, and missions take time and money to develop, so you buy yourself time by gating the content that's already there. You basically make it so a player has to stick around a certain amount of time in order to play new content so that you have the development time to make more stuff for them to do after that. The problem with this in Destiny is that it's an action game, so level-gated content feels even more arbitrary--a very reasonable player might ask, "If I'm a good enough player to do this without higher stats, why can't I at least have a fair shot?" Add to that the rigidity of the level-gating and people chafe against it.

(Again, I should stress that I play and enjoy Destiny and that I think it has the foundations to grow into something really great, but I just really hope Bungie knows how loving stupid some of their decisions were. This isn't even touching the utter lack of social features, too.)

It seems like you could have accomplished the same 'keep skilled players around' thing by making the content actually more challenging instead of just numbers challenging. Have harder versions of the same dungeons you can do but with different trap, environmental, or enemy layouts instead. Make it so you can add modifiers to your dungeon run kind of like the skulls systems from halo games. Beating these things gives you cosmetic options, badges, or things that are neat and cool but aren't requirements to grind before you go to the next dungeon. That way everyone can experience the content as their skill progression allows but gives those who want a harder challenge an actual harder challenge instead of a numbers challenge.

I do hope Destiny gets improved through patches and the like if only for the reason that its a series we are going to be seeing for probably the next 10 years.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Light sounds like a really good mechanic to ensure you can always play a coop console shooter with your friends who may have different schedules and availability to grind.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

There's nothing locking you out of grouping with a friend 10 levels lower than you so I see no reason to use the mechanic to gimp yourself while playing with a lower level friend.

I meant it as a joke but a coop designed shooter that has arbitrary gates on content seems un-conducive to playing with friends. And the big buzz with the game is that "the game doesn't start until after level 20" so it doesn't seem that fun to intentionally go back to lower level content and play stuff "before the real game starts." And if you do go to your buddy's game you're going to have way higher numbers on your gear so you are just going to trivialize his content. And its not like he can play with you because he hasn't done the appropriate amount of grinding.

City of Heroes had a system that fixed this and that game came out like 10 years ago. You could either autoscale down to your buddy's level so the missions would be challenging to you both or he could autoscale up to your level and do your stuff without being a waste of space. If it was just a characters level thing a system like this could mostly fix the not being able to play equally with your friend thing but since there is loot level gating you can't really do it.

e; The only reason I would play Destiny would be to play with my friends since the endgame content requires coordinated groups of players. Loot gating poo poo or making you useless in fights because your loot level isn't high enough makes it harder to play with friends.

Orthodox Rabbit fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 18, 2014

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

That spergy poo poo aside I hope destiny improves a bunch through patches and content additions cause it sounds like it could turn into a really fun game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Thank you for the realpost words on Destiny. I wasn't really interested in playing it after everything I've heard but now I will at least see if it gets better in the future months.

• Locked thread