Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

sleepingbuddha posted:

Someone watching the live stream posted earlier that the vegan survivalist accidentally killed a chicken, trying to feed it citrus. Was this the dead chicken Red through tantrum about
This is true.
She didn't try to feed the chickens citrus, she fed them citrus.

The hen house's biggest detriment is this insane animal lover's involvement in their care.

Bella is a screwball with screwy ideas and a mood pendulum that swings wide and often. Her "chicken tractor" idea isn't far fetched but how she presents it to non-layman persons make it off the wall. Bella is more full of dingy ideas than good ones. Eventually some of the poo poo that falls out of her head is helpful. Everything else is a constant mess of personal insecurities bordering on conspiracy theories.

For a proclaimed survivalist, Bella is wrong on many many things. Even basic things.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

The girl Bri isn't actually a vet tech. She used to be, but she's currently in college for nursing. She also didn't know that hamsters only live for two to three years and really doesn't know much about large animal care.

Also she said she saw ghosts as a child.

Also chicken tractor is a terrible idea because chicken manure holds a lot of heat and can actually scald and burn plants. But this is coming from the lady who thinks her hypothyroid was caused by the fluoride in the water and tells the others to watch out for helicopters that signal that the world has gone to chaos.

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 8, 2014

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Man, I gotta start watching the feeds.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

violetdragon posted:

Man, I gotta start watching the feeds.
You only get 5 minutes before they want you to pay $4.99/mo.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Josh Lyman posted:

You only get 5 minutes before they want you to pay $4.99/mo.

No, there's a free version. I signed up for it already, but I haven't watched much.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I was initially going to raise the point that several others have in this thread, that they should have had atleast a couple "normal" people on the farm to give the viewers somebody to cheer for. After thinking about it though I can't imagine staying there for more than a couple days with the constantly fighting, harassment and threats that are getting thrown around. Even a couple of the crazies who signed up for the reality show wanting to be involved in that kind of drama have nearly snapped and ran out the door.

At what point do the producers pull the plug on this thing for safety reasons? We've already had one of the inmates put another into some kind of choke hold in the first episode - you can kill somebody with one of those if you don't know what you are doing.

**on that note I couldn't believe that nobody had a problem with the ex-con jumping the drunk from behind and tackling him down to the ground with an arm around his neck when the guy was walking away from the argument. There should have been two people sent packing after the first night.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 8, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This show and watching the stream is loving weird. I don't know how to feel about watching a couple talk to each other like intimate and poo poo.

E: At some point there is going to be a live video feed of blurred out loving and everyone involved is going to be ashamed.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 8, 2014

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, this show is an absolute trainwreck. There is no loving way I would be able to stay around any of these people. Even the pastor is an rear end. I'm pretty sure you could kill everyone in their sleep and get off for justifiable homicide.

Also, I don't get some of the decisions of the show either, except that they are made simply to stir up drama. Why have the group pack up a box full of personal gear and then make them decide what stuff to keep by putting it in a large community box. The whole rationale of 'Oh you have limited space is bullshit' because they kept their personal boxes anyway. It's such a bullshit move and frankly the ex-con was right to throw a tantrum about it, although his anger at the group was misdirected. Then the whole weird trial, followed by the hillbilly blowup over a dead chicken. It seems like everyone is trying to stake a claim to their own little niche and won't let anyone intrude upon it.

This whole thing is going to be loving hilariously awful.

Also, seriously, the host is so douchey looking that I can't stand seeing him on the screen. Someone call him up and tell him the 1800's called and they want their facial hair back.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I'm watching the feed right now (it's free.) and I'm watching this musician talk to the ditzy asian chick who is a really bad vet, and I can't stand these people.

I feel like this was the premise to a movie though.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

TMMadman posted:

Also, seriously, the host is so douchey looking that I can't stand seeing him on the screen. Someone call him up and tell him the 1800's called and they want their facial hair back.
I couldn't shake the idea that he looks exactly like the unholy offspring of Johnny Depp and Gary Oldman. :stonklol:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Best reality-show pilot of all time, hands-down.

On the live stream I just saw someone try four separate times to tap the last crumbs of a Cheetos bag into their mouth. I'm hooked

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 8, 2014

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Go gently caress yourself.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Why do people decide to dedicate one year of their life to reality TV show with no price money? I guess that explains why they only have crazy people on the show.

I mean even BMC Caleb (from BB16) would be a beacon of sanity on this show.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Fatkraken posted:

The BBC tried to do something a bit like this only way less extreme and less insane in 2000, called castaway. It was a bit of a trainwreck. Even without having to build their own houses, forrage for food, take part in eliminations OR being filmed 24/7, most people just couldn't cope with the isolation or get along with their neighbours. This seems like it will be ten times worse in every respect.

i liked that show

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Spiky Ooze posted:

Weird thing is it isn't fake. You can watch the live streams. They just fight with each other so much that that's what makes the tv edit.

I dunno, that isn't necessarily proof that they aren't actors and/or heavily coached. They just seem to blow up at the smallest things for no reason.

"I'd like to bring my bible."
"gently caress YOU AND YOUR BIBLE."

"I think this chicken is probably okay to eat. If you are worried, just don't have any."
"I'LL loving KILL YOU!"

Maybe it's just edited really poorly (probably) or they just cast a bunch of assholes. (also probable)

Also, I don't understand, if they have money and can go outside the compound to get food and supplies, how are they "creating a new society"? Sounds like they're just participating in the one we already have. At that point it's just the Real World without the swanky house.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Generic American posted:

I couldn't shake the idea that he looks exactly like the unholy offspring of Johnny Depp and Gary Oldman. :stonklol:

The host is a fairly famous cartoonist which is about the weird thing about the show.

I also hope they get to the point where they try to form 'Murica on the show

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
http://bizarrocomics.com/

Piraro (hipster cartoonist host) has a blog post up all about the show.

He claims no script, no interference, not even anyone on the compound.

The part I don't get is how TINY the property is. I mean, 5 acres? I don't think a farm that tiny could support that many people.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

PowerBuilder3 posted:

The part I don't get is how TINY the property is. I mean, 5 acres? I don't think a farm that tiny could support that many people.

On the livestream they've been talking about how they have to start a business so I don't think they're supposed to just live off of the farm.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Oh poo poo that's the Bizarro guy? Weird.

DarksydePhilFish
Dec 31, 2004

tabarnak ack ack
OK, so I just flipped it on for a second and somebody was saying something like "I cannot allow this to happen because I have healed myself of my cancer," and then I flipped it over to another stream and it was pretty clear from the conversation there that she's talking about the gang getting a microwave. I'm sold.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The livestream is pretty amusing. Bella thinks people are selfish and unreasonable for wanting a microwave.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

She will not shut the gently caress up. Bella may be the most insufferable reality-show character of all time, which is remarkable because it's clearly not just from creative editing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I suspect she's just an over-opinionated Natural News-type nut. I hope someone starts telling her how great vaccines are.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2014/09/04/fox-attempting-to-break-new-ground-with-risky-reality-tv-experiment-utopia/

quote:

...a made-over Santa Clarita, California, ranch that's often used as a location in films and TV shows.

The network reportedly spent $50 million to construct the "Utopia" site, which also includes a small man-made lake stocked with 400 fish, a phony water tower that actually holds a light used to illuminate the compound at night and access for the cast to electricity and plumbing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My parents were convinced they were in the north end of the valley near Redding, I said it looked way too dry outside the compound and said it was likely on the southern end of the valley; pretty close.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I googled some more, its the Santa Clarita Valley at Sable Ranch off Sand Canyon Road. If you google map that, you can see stuff under construction.

http://hometownstation.com/http%3A/...remiere-tonight

Heh, when I zoomed in the google map, a little indicator says "Wipeout Show Course".

Funny part, right outside those gates are suburban homes. They ain't out in the wilderness somewhere.

PowerBuilder3 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 8, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Herpes. posted:

OK, so I just flipped it on for a second and somebody was saying something like "I cannot allow this to happen because I have healed myself of my cancer," and then I flipped it over to another stream and it was pretty clear from the conversation there that she's talking about the gang getting a microwave. I'm sold.

I love the fact they went full on crazy about casting. BB need this cast on the show

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Bella is telling the pregnant girl a microwave will kill her baby. :ughh:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hcreight posted:

Bella is telling the pregnant girl a microwave will kill her baby. :ughh:

Well it would if you put the baby in the microwave after it was born. Won't someone think of the children?!?

I've been thinking about it and I'm not really sure I'm going to be able to watch this 'show' for very long. It feels so forced and unnatural that even hate watching it for the crazy won't be amusing. Part of the problem is that these people didn't come together naturally to form this new society, so there will always be conflict and drama. Part of it is that there is no real story to be told, it's all going to be 'oh this person did this and here's the reaction'. It's just so fake and phony. At least with reality shows like BB and Survivor there is an end game and a reason to be there, but this doesn't have any of that and so it's just self serving.

I kind of hope it tanks in the ratings because I think it would be more interesting to see the fallout. Would they just stop the 'experiment' and send everyone home?

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009

TMMadman posted:

I kind of hope it tanks in the ratings because I think it would be more interesting to see the fallout. Would they just stop the 'experiment' and send everyone home?

No, its FOX. They killed off Firefly way to early which was a great show. This steaming pile of poo poo will fester on long past its time. :sigh:

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

TMMadman posted:

Well it would if you put the baby in the microwave after it was born. Won't someone think of the children?!?

I've been thinking about it and I'm not really sure I'm going to be able to watch this 'show' for very long. It feels so forced and unnatural that even hate watching it for the crazy won't be amusing. Part of the problem is that these people didn't come together naturally to form this new society, so there will always be conflict and drama. Part of it is that there is no real story to be told, it's all going to be 'oh this person did this and here's the reaction'. It's just so fake and phony. At least with reality shows like BB and Survivor there is an end game and a reason to be there, but this doesn't have any of that and so it's just self serving.

For all the money they spent on Terra Nova (I think about 14 million), they cancelled it after the first season. People thought that with all the money they spent on the show, they wouldn't cancel because of how much was spent on it. So it wouldn't surprise me if Fox canceled this show before the end of the year.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Turtlicious posted:

This show and watching the stream is loving weird. I don't know how to feel about watching a couple talk to each other like intimate and poo poo.

E: At some point there is going to be a live video feed of blurred out loving and everyone involved is going to be ashamed.

You've never watched Big Brother before, have you?

Brocktoon posted:

I dunno, that isn't necessarily proof that they aren't actors and/or heavily coached. They just seem to blow up at the smallest things for no reason.

"I'd like to bring my bible."
"gently caress YOU AND YOUR BIBLE."

"I think this chicken is probably okay to eat. If you are worried, just don't have any."
"I'LL loving KILL YOU!"

Maybe it's just edited really poorly (probably) or they just cast a bunch of assholes. (also probable)

Also, I don't understand, if they have money and can go outside the compound to get food and supplies, how are they "creating a new society"? Sounds like they're just participating in the one we already have. At that point it's just the Real World without the swanky house.

Keep in mind that all of these people are serious about creating their version of the perfect society. Especially for the first couple of weeks, they're going in there after doing tons of interviews, talking to producers, etc. so they're super determined to have it be perfect. If I'm an atheist who thinks religion has caused most of society's problems throughout history, having a bunch of bibles around is going to go against one of the core values of my utopia.

No Utopian society (of the hundreds that have been attempted) is completely isolated. I think the show did an okay job of that, although they really should have limited what could be bought. People creating a new society bring in the money they have, and that's what is used to buy supplies. If they want to continue to have a bit of money for medical emergencies, to purchase food they can't grow on their own, etc. they have to come up with some way of getting a bit of income. It's often things like selling veggies they grow.

There are over 130 cameras set up over the compound, made to blend in, with no cameramen on set. They are allowed to hunt in the woods, but if they go out for too long (I'm assuming that means overnight) they're considered a walk-off and aren't allowed back in.

All that being said, wtf, a microwave? All of the supplies they could use - please go buy a vet text book or something - and they want to go buy something to replace something they can easily do on their own?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think a book they won't understand really helps them a whole lot.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

So people who are watching ahead, has any one of them really established themselves as the leader yet? I can't see anything productive getting done until they pick the smartest person amongst them to think for everyone else.

No matter what happens though, it seems to me that the only people likely to get close to what they want out of this experience are the ones that are into hedonism.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Starsfan posted:

So people who are watching ahead, has any one of them really established themselves as the leader yet? I can't see anything productive getting done until they pick the smartest person amongst them to think for everyone else.
Lawyer guy Mike at first was the goto leader, but as you will soon learn from the broadcasts it's a Herculean task with no upside to it. Unless something has changed over the weekend, Utopia is a rudderless ship with zero direction.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SteveVizsla posted:

Keep in mind that all of these people are serious about creating their version of the perfect society. Especially for the first couple of weeks, they're going in there after doing tons of interviews, talking to producers, etc. so they're super determined to have it be perfect. If I'm an atheist who thinks religion has caused most of society's problems throughout history, having a bunch of bibles around is going to go against one of the core values of my utopia.

Even if I was an atheist, I think I'd rather have a few bibles around than deal with that meditation stuff. I know mediation can be actually useful but it can also be so pretentious too. Plus if you don't take it as actual gospel, the Bible can be read as an interesting story.

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009
So, I may have missed it. What is the payoff at the end of year? What is the incentive to put up with this crap and waste a year of their lives for?

Or did FOX pick just a bunch of unemployed bums, a convict and a preacher with nothing to do anyway?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Rancid Liverwurst posted:

So, I may have missed it. What is the payoff at the end of year? What is the incentive to put up with this crap and waste a year of their lives for?

Or did FOX pick just a bunch of unemployed bums, a convict and a preacher with nothing to do anyway?

well the money that was given to them has been referred to as "seed money" so I think the expectation is that they will invest that into some sort of business to create a living for the people at the farm. Maybe at the end of the day they'll make some real money seeing as everything they need has been provided to them free of charge.

In reality all the money will be spent on take out food and booze. I can't even say I'd do anything different if I was there.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Rancid Liverwurst posted:

That's the million dollar question. These people are doing this for shits and giggles and the experience (the Screen Actors Guild stipend they are earning doesn't hurt either but that probably has a laundry list of production contract contingencies attached to it before they can collect).

These people uprooted themselves from wherever they came from to possibly spend as much as one year in the Angeles National Forest. The show itself has no grand prize or payout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarksydePhilFish
Dec 31, 2004

tabarnak ack ack

Robnoxious posted:

Lawyer guy Mike at first was the goto leader, but as you will soon learn from the broadcasts it's a Herculean task with no upside to it. Unless something has changed over the weekend, Utopia is a rudderless ship with zero direction.

Yeah, and the thing is, they're mostly competent with their chores and stuff, so it's not like they're on the edge of disaster and have a ton of motivation to organize at the moment. Things aren't going to pick up until they begin to get bored with their current stable-but-lovely lifestyle and then realize that they're stuck with it for hundreds more days (theoretically) if they don't start figuring things out.

Also, apparently someone was bandying about an idea for a yoga business the other day, which I'm all for because it brings the show one step closer to the thread where a goon bought a bunch of land in Hawaii to start some kind of colony and wound up getting ambulanced out a few months later because he was covered from head to toe in yeast.

• Locked thread