Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

So, given what was shown, I'm sure that "Missy" is The Rani or at the very least someone with a Tardis with a working camelion circuit.

I don't know that she's necessarily The Rani, but it seems plausible that she's a Time Lord. There's a definite similarity between the way she's grabbed people who seem to be dead and the way The Doctor did it at the beginning of this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

HD DAD posted:

So the overnights are in, and they are...not good: 5.2 million, down 4 million from last week. Has it ever been that low?

According to the OP, last week's overnights were 6.8 million. How is 5.2 million 4 million down from that?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Industrial action at the time meant that they had to film the entire thing on film, whereas standard practice at the time was to film interiors on video and exteriors on film. That meant they were later able to release a high definition version on Blu-Ray.

I was really hoping your link was to anything other than that video so that I could post it myself.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It comes up occasionally in Doctor Who, as with some of the discussion regarding Journey to the Center of the TARDIS. For some reason, people groan whenever "that was a bit racist/sexist" stuff comes up, but it's just a comment. It doesn't mean the show or writers are suddenly evil bigots and the discussion would always be shorter if not for the four people who have to take up part of the conversation saying "Not this again, SJW tumblr nerds!" If that particular brand of discussion isn't your cup of tea, you can always wait a few pages at the most until the talk shifts to which person fits better into the Davros rubber mask they had to recycle and/or whether Moffat is the devil incarnate and who is buying a new Doctor Who coat.

It's okay to talk about racism sometimes and sometimes Doctor Who has has depictions that suffer from racist writing. It's okay that people post about it, here in the thread devoted to discussion regarding Doctor Who.

Peter Capaldi is great though, both in his depiction of the character and in the graciousness he's shown toward the hordes of fans.

Yep. I think people have trouble sometimes understanding that calling a story racist/sexist/*ist isn't the same thing as saying that the writer hates black people/women/*.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Or, in fact, that it's not the same as calling people who like it racist/sexist/bigoted.

Yes! This is actually probably even more important than what I said.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

So, who wants some Target novels? I've got a box of them here in my storage unit gathering dust. I was thinking I'll throw some in envelopes for the first 10 people (US only) who email me?

Doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail.com

Emailed! I'd love some. I've only been into the show a couple years so I've never had any of these.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

While "Hartnell" and "Pertwee" have mixed results (sometimes they sound perfect, other times you'd never know it was supposed to be them), "Troughton" is spot-on, perhaps because he was voiced by Frazer Hines (Jamie McCrimmon) who knew him so well.

If you haven't listened to any of the Companion Chronicles read by Frazer, you really owe it to yourself to do so. His Troughton is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jsor posted:

If everyone is referring to The Doctor carrying the Olympic Torch, that's just silly grandiose trademark Doctor Who nonsense.

Pretty sure that is what people refer to when the talk about the end of that episode. To me, it honestly never seemed any more grandiose than the way the Olympics are actually covered in real life.

• Locked thread