Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Autonomous Monster posted:

That scene where the Doctor's sealing the crack in the power cells made me laugh. Oh, hey, look- it's a bloody great crack spewing radiation all over the room- I'll stick my head right over that, get a good dose going, yeah?

Oh, look, the Doctor is fighting a giant crack in the wall! Yeah, that better not mean what it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jurgan posted:

Oh, look, the Doctor is fighting a giant crack in the wall! Yeah, that better not mean what it looks like.

No one responded to this, so I'm just going to ask directly: they're not really bringing back the crack in the universe, are they?

Also, I've liked both episodes so far (though they probably should have cut the dinosaur out of Deep Breath). In two episodes, Clara has shown more clear personality than in half a season.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Journey BLUE + Missy RED = Danny PINK

Give a couple more, and we've got Reservoir Dogs.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Finally, the Dalek Parliament makes sense! It's a pep rally!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Plavski posted:

Moffat's successor will be Rob Shearman. There's a rumour I can get behind!

Careful- just because someone makes good episodes doesn't mean he'll be a good showrunner. Remember who wrote Blink and The Doctor Dances.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

You might also like "Terror of the Autons" (the first appearance of the Master),

I thought every classic Doctor met the Master?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

For me this is the disconnect. Despite them being the antagonists to the doctors motivations in the episode, i dont find them horrific or "Thuggish". Normal humans make arrangements to salvage derelict ships, care little for human life they dont know personally, and treat disabled relatives like poo poo. They recycled metal from derelict spaceships and made a deal with the doctor for the technology from his. Their actions did not constitute an immoral act. This is not to say we should ignore the misuse of minorities in "lower class" or antagonist roles in the media at large, but i think IN THIS CASE, and when it comes to doctor who we can give them the benefit of the doubt as they have shown themselves to be very progressive when it comes to sexuality and race relations. (They are "On notice" when it comes to gender) They were talented actors cast in a well written, believable role and we dont need to pretend racism isnt an issue to think that in the future a black family wont treat a relative badly or do a legally questionable thing.

TLDR paragraph? Calling them space thugs who rob the doctor is dumb, and i wont stand for it.

People have noticed that the number of non-white actors in DW has decreased since Moffat took over. In the Davies era we had Martha and Mickey, off the top of my head, who were significant, sympathetic characters of color. I can't think of any major POC characters in the Moffat era, so the fact that he finally cast three black actors and they were lower class thieves is troubling. In most cases with racism/sexism/other isms, it's not so much the individual act as the pattern.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I've finally decided to try watching Torchwood, and gosh, this would be almost good if John Barrowman as Captain Jack didn't feel like watching a sixteen year old in a school play. Eve Myles is really good! It's just...put her opposite Barrowman, and...

Seriously? Most people say he's the best thing about Torchwood. I really liked all three seasons (I choose to ignore Miracle Day). Well, to each his/her own. I'll tell you what I tell everyone, though: If you don't want to watch all of Torchwood, at least watch Children of Earth. CoE is freaking brilliant, though very dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

A man who dislikes Doctor Who is about to review a disliked episode of Doctor Who. Will he dislike it? :iiam:

It actually might be fun to see his reaction. It's a decent episode for a while, kind of like "Blink" in that it's a Doctor-lite episode about getting over your youthful obsessions and living your life. I really like the new characters, and Jackie shows unusual strength of character. But then the alien at the end is disgusting, with a face sticking out of his rear end, and then we get implied blowjobs from a stone Moaning Myrtle. Yeah, it could be fun to see a hatewatching of this episode.

• Locked thread