Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

For the record, Glasgow is not that bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Doctor getting his Carl Sagan on.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Of course "That's all you do", Doctor. It's a loving bucket on wheels with a gun attached. What else is it gonna do.

I can only hope Rusty now takes off onto galactic adventures, bodying Daleks.

He ideally wanted it to run around shouting AFFEC-TION-ATE!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, take that Verity Lambert what's with all this Aztec poo poo

That was more or less my first thought too, but I think the guys problem is the "UK" part rather than the (Pseudo-)"Historical" part. Personally I'm all for mixing alien world episodes with historical episodes, its a british show with a british cast so it will tend to skew towards UK history. As long as we stay out of late 20th/early 21st century London because for Who even Victorian London is less played out than that.

Also if he meets robin hood, I'm hoping he then goes on to meet merlin and then the 3 musketeers, just do a tour of all the BBCs "Doctor who slot" shows.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Plucky Brit posted:

When was the last time the Daleks killed several people on screen? I can't remember any since Dalek.

It was great to see a Doctor Who episode in space rather than on Earth. Having so many episodes focused on Earth is so boring. All of space and time to play with, and it's not like it takes much to make a set look like another planet so why are there so many ones centered on one planet?

Lets be fair here: This episode, Space. Last episode Victorian London. Before that was the Xmas special (alien world), the 50th (all over the drat place, some on contempory earth, but some on alien worlds and some in space), then last season Trenzalore, the moon (of the future), victorian yorkshire, the TARDIS (in space, in the future), 1970s haunted house, a cold war russian sub, alien world, modern day london.

I cant be arsed going back any further, but the last 11 broadcast Doctor Who episodes have actually shown a decent spread of settings.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Go watch a film called Outpost. Thematically related to the daleks!

If they're shrunk they'll be less susceptible surely - same amount of person just made smaller. If they're 0.1% of the size and they need the same absolute dose to damage them then the fact they're only hit by 0.1% of the radiation they would be if they were normal size has a huge effect.

Of course, this is a sci-fi show, so I'm perfectly happy to accept that "Yeah, we fixed the radiation off screen with anti-radiation pills", but if we want to apply some actual science....

Damage to tissue from radiation depends on a number of factors. Your Absorbed Dose is the energy absorbed divided by the mass of absorbing tissue (Measured in Greys). Higher numbers = worse. Now, this is a piss-poor measure of how dangerous the radation will be to a living being, so we then multiply Absorbed Dose by a radiation weighting factor (or Quality factor) depending on the type of radiation to give the "Equivalent Dose" (in Sieverts, or more usually milliSieverts). A dose of 0.1 Sieverts will increase yoru cancer risk, a dose of 2 Sv may be fatal, and with current technology 8 Sv will kill you, nothing we can do about it. Now, even this isnt a complete calculation of risk, because radiation absorbed by the skin will obviously have a different risk than radation absorbed by the brain or the bones.

So, short form; poo poo is complicated, but assuming that when they were shrunk they lost mass as well (seems reasonable as there were 5 people standing in essentially the same place and the dalek didnt tip over) and bearing in mind the square-cube law (the volume of tissue decreases faster than the surface area when you make something smaller) then their danger from radiation has drastically increased. D = E/M, and while being smaller will have decreased the energy absorbed, the mass will have decreased more, leading to a higher Absorbed Dose, giving us a higher Equivalent Dose.

If their mass hasnt decreased with their size then they are in less danger, but on the other hand at that point they could fight the daleks by reducing the size of the soldiers and dropping on them as all their mass will be focussed on a tiny area.

Like I say, I dont tend to let things like that bother me in a sci fi show (although the last Die Hard movie...), I was more taken out of it by them using "rad" as a unit as opposed to "Greys". As they are neither in the 1960s or American then they should be using the SI unit. It was as if they were describing distances in Furlongs or chains. It can be interesting to apply actual science to this kind o fthimn got thing about what woud actually happen in similar situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ten spoke in Estuary, he doesn't count.

Wait... There are people who dont think that Tennant did a lovely job of an english accent?

• Locked thread