Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cliff Racer posted:

I still don't see why people dislike Dodo so much while liking someone like, say, Vicki who, despite having watched all of her serials, I can't remember doing anything at all.

Vicki was quirky, impetuous and irreverent (at least, when the script allowed her to be anything other than generic Girl In Distress). She had bags of personality compared to her predecessor and successor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I think Tyres' soldiers went to the Imperial Stormtrooper school of shooting at things.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Wait... There are people who dont think that Tennant did a lovely job of an english accent?

Weeeeelllll *sniffs*

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Age aside, I'm not entirely sure why but the way Capaldi plays 12 reminds me of Hartnell. I mean, there's nothing specific I can bring to mind or anything and it's less obvious than the way Smith did things with his hands the way Troughton did with his but there's something inspirational there. Maybe I'm just full of poo poo.

I think it's mostly that he just doesn't give a rat's arse about most people - he's very early First Doctor in that respect. Also, someone in the last thread noted about how insecure and unsure 12 is, which I think is quite true. He's similar to early Hartnell in that respect, in that he doesn't have all the answers, and has to fumble around and gently caress things up occasionally. It's definitely a big change from 11, who was basically a loving wizard, and easily the most competent Doctor to date.

EDIT - I mean, it's pretty interesting that he did gently caress pretty much everything up in this episode. He fixed the Dalek and was surprised when it returned to normal. His big plan was to show it the wonders of the universe in his mind, and then was surprised when all it saw was hatred. This guy doesn't know what he's doing, and that's a facet of the Doctor we've not seen in awhile.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 31, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

Speaking of which, is there anybody who still doesn't like Capaldi? You're entitled to your opinion and all (hell, I didn't watch any of Matt Smith's tenure because I didn't like his face), but have you watched The Thick of It? Once you've seen Malcolm Tucker berating some poor stupid bastard, Twelve looks like a saint. Also the end of the last episode is very similar to 12's arc, realizing what a bad person he was.

Capaldi's doing a very good job at being the Doctor he wanted to be, but so far the Doctor he wanted to be is kind of a shitbag. I particularly dislike his constantly negging Clara. It's weird and uncomfortable.

The overwhelming theme of Matt Smith's tenure was 'getting really, really old tends to make you really, really kind', and I found that sense of optimism refreshing. Capaldi's Doctor is the complete opposite of that so far. He's got his ideals, but he doesn't seem particularly bothered about the little people who might get in the way of them. It's not necessarily a new facet of his character, and it's probably just a matter of personal preference, but I think I've always warmed to the 'good' Doctors - Troughton, Davison, C. Baker (yes, really), McGann, Eccleston (yes, really) and Smith.

But who knows what'll happen - maybe Capaldi will mellow like Hartnell did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

You're so angry about this dude. Are you American? Culturally it doesn't have as much reach here in the UK as it did during Tennant, or at least, it doesn't seem that way.

Yeah, I agree with this. You couldn't get away from Doctor Who when Tennant was in the role, it was everywhere. Media interest in the UK has cooled significantly, and I think (I might be wrong, ask Trin) that the ratings nowadays just don't match up to the 2006-2009 heyday.

• Locked thread