Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Do we really need weekly threads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

Oh no, there's a climactic scene involving Capaldi and special effects!? Guess there's no point in watching the episode now.

Yeah, I'd like to see people guess, in spoilers, what happens that he could be referring too and see if anyone gets close.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

I also like how everyone is just sort of trying to forget the whole Power Rangers Daleks thing ever happened.

Yeah, even the "leader" Dalek wasn't one of them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It was better than the script, I'll give it that. I thought the reuse of antibodies was a little blatant but whatever.

It's a shame we didn't see some past Doctors in the mind meld scene.

Also, and this isn't really a complaint, just an observation: has anyone noticed that Capaldi Doctor isn't as physically active as Tennant and Smith? They avoid showing him running or climbing for obvious reasons. I don't mind, Capaldi is amazing, but it is kind of noticeable how some of the action directing is having to work around him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I noticed the same thing, it seems for these early episodes at least they've decided to write the Doctor as physically active as the most recent "young" Doctors and just film around it. Capaldi is still very spry and they can easily play up his physical agility without having to have him handstand-surfing a horse galloping underneath a Sontaran battleship.

Capaldi is amazing, and I hope they write towards his strengths more as it goes on rather than trying to film around his 'weaknesses'.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not even sure I buy into the "weaknesses" thing, really. A healthy 56-year-old-man in 2014 is a far cry from a 55-year-old former boxer with arteriosclerosis in 1963 in terms of physical capability.

It's not really a weakness, but they are showing less of the Doctor being physical on screen. My comparison wasn't against Hartnell but rather Tennant and Smith. The scripts are still writing in action for a younger actor, but the show is having to film around it. My point is just that it would be nice if they start writing action for Capaldi.

For example, in the leaked script, the Doctor is climbing with everyone else, in the episode though he's already reached the top.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Kin posted:

There's active and then there's clown active. Tenant and Smith danced around like clowns far too much which made it hard to take anything they did seriously (even in "serious" episodes which are the few I tried to watch).

Capaldi's doctor seems more like the eccentric grandfather kind that I think a lot of the old series had.

I mean specifically in action scenes, where they don't show Capaldi running or jumping, etc. I'm very happy to have a calmer, more still Doctor in general.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Waiting for the episode to air here, but did they change this exchange in the actual ep?

Nope! It was intact, in fact they didn't change anything from the script.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Excellent. I was worried they'd tone it down. :unsmigghh:

One thing I did notice is that while they didn't change the dialogue at its a lot less evident with Capaldi's emphasis how desperately the script was trying to justify the lovely Asylum ending.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rochallor posted:

How long have these Dalek saucers been around? The one with the bumps all over them. I know the Daleks have had flying saucers since forever, but was this particular design a new series thing? The only time I can recall Dalek ships appearing in the old series is Dalek Invasion of Earth. I think there might have been one in Remembrance, too, but I can't recall.

In Bad Wolf and The Parting of the Ways we are first introduced to the revivals new Dalek Saucer design.

In The Stolen Earth we first see a larger ship design that docks with the ones seen in Bad Wolf. This is the first revival saurcer to include the bumps on its main dish rather than just at the center. This episode also introduced Dalek fighter craft but they are literally just the Bad Wolf saucer design shrunk down.

In Victory of the Daleks that smaller ship had been redesigned slightly. It's a little flatter and has a ray gun at the bottom of it instead of guns on its sides.

Then in the 50th the larger ships has been redesigned to what we saw in this episode: lots of guns, armour plating rather than a smooth surface, and the larger open docking bay on two sides.

The 50th also introduced the new Dalek fighter ships that I've been dying to get a closer look at.

The original series Dalek Saucers didn't have bumps on them.

Interestingly the loving massive ship in this episode, that dwarfs the Aristotle is the same type that Eleven destroyed with his Dragon Ball regeneration.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 31, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

In the script Rusty goes onto the Dalek ship and self destructs in the same way the Dalek did in "Dalek", with his orbs detaching and spinning around. I guess they changed that because they want to bring him back?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

How does everyone feel about the idea of exploring the Doctor's childhood? Would you like to see his mum and dad or the house he grew up in? Would you like to explore the dynamic and events that made him leave Gallifrey?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is the answer "leading question"?

No? That's not what a leading question is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Journey BLUE + Missy RED = Danny PINK

Every river begins life as a pond.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Don't they have the black or red Dalek props anymore?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

marktheando posted:

But how good is it to see future soldiers with actual proper future laser guns instead of stupid modern bullet guns? It is very good.

This would've been better if it wasn't the cheapest, most blatant reuse of toy guns I've seen in ages.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

I always got the impression that what RTD did to other people's work was just really intense script-editing, rather than the kind of stuff that used to result in a David Agnew. I'm not entirely sure where that comes from, mind you.

No, it's true. He rewrote nearly everything in every script, apparently except for Moffat's; though I'd probably call bullshit on that to some degree.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

What question is that?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Would the Doctor really prefer that these people DON'T fight the Dalek's? The episode kind of confuses things by calling them a rebel fleet, and by having the Doctor dislike them like they are a controlling force. I'm sure the average Joe of the future human empire is happy to have people with guns between him and the Dalek army.

It's kind of odd characterisation because all of these people are soldiers and are dying because of his gently caress up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

That's probably why they did the thing where they were going to chuck The Doctor out of the airlock, to establish they weren't all just about protecting people.

Except they suspected he was a Dalek duplicate.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I've heard rumours that they don't want to cancel it, but instead put it on an extended break when Moffat leaves, which is why we've heard no rumours of his successor.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Plavski posted:

Idris Elba was being bandied around seriously for a while and it was really cool.

No he wasn't. Maybe some people seriously believed but anyone with the briefest understanding of the BBC, Doctor Who, acting or the entertainment industry in general laughed off that suggestion as being loving ludicrous on many levels.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

The network could give less of a poo poo who is running the show as long as it's making them money. That's how it works.

They already wanted to end it when Tennant and Russel left, but Davis managed to convince them to give another show runner a chance.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

The reason I'm using it, however, is because (as a fan of GoT as well) fans of GoT, every single season, clamor about how it's going to get cancelled because of some stupid reason (like my example), without realizing how much loving money the network is making off the show.

The BBC doesn't really give a poo poo how much money it makes though. It's nice to have a big hit with the audience, but an extended hiatus after Moffat or Capaldi wouldn't be too unusual, it would basically be the Disney vaulting method to generate hype. Look, I'm not saying it will happen, just that it's not out of the question.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Don't be dense. The show was not anywhere near as popular during Tennant's run as it is now.

You're so angry about this dude. Are you American? Culturally it doesn't have as much reach here in the UK as it did during Tennant, or at least, it doesn't seem that way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Well I don't know dude, you seem pretty angry about it. What qualifies you to know so much about TV and the BBC?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

IIRC the half seasons were caused by some major budget fuckery in series 5 that they were only just now able to recover from.

Rumblings about debts unpaid for location shooting, and the production team in general being incompetent which resulted in a lot of "resignations" and transfers.

This is correct.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's terrible.

I agree.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

A man who dislikes Doctor Who is about to review a disliked episode of Doctor Who. Will he dislike it? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Do you sometimes have to actively try to live up to your custom title, or is it totally automatic for you?

Awww, I'm just ribbing dude. I'm happy you enjoy the thread. Don't take me so seriously.

But, no, I'm a much more positive person in real life in part because I use the boards to vent a little.

• Locked thread