Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Missy grabbing the soldier girl is one of those Moffat-y season arc hints that comes from his occasional desire to play fair with the audience, like the jacket in the Angels two-parter and such. It's SO similar in how it's shot to the earlier scene of Journey being saved by the Doctor that you're clearly meant to notice the parallel. That plus Missy's earlier comments about liking the Doctor's accent and 'keeping' it, as if she can change fundamental things about herself at will, makes it pretty clear she's a Time Lady of some description. I still think the Master is too obvious for it to not be the gimmick, but I'd be shocked if she's not grabbing the near-dead in her TARDIS at least.

Which would be kind of a first, actually. The Master didn't actually have his own TARDIS in the RTD era, and even in The Doctor's Wife, Eleven only half-cobbles together a working console. Many of the revival's fans have never considered there being another working one. This is Moffat's Time Meddler reveal.

Other than that, episode owned. Loved Twelve begging the Dalek to see more in him than just hate. "There must be more than that..." :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'd say it's why he wrote it in quotation marks. It's not a weakness, but it's certainly not a strength and it is silly to include sections that play up that aspect of the character when there are so many excellent strengths he does have that should be getting focused on.

Look, J-Ru, I love ya, man, but if you don't want to see Capaldi in a cape judo-fighting a Cyberman on top of a gasworks while HAVOC The Next Generation get blown up under them, I just don't know where I stand.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Not to mention it has Tyres O'Flaherty!

Yeah, it's weird seeing Michael Smiley in such a straight role.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Does Dalek Frank Underwood have a really hammy South Kaled Dome drawl?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

Not to mention Jamie, who was a soldier. And Wilf. I'm sure there were others...

Kate Stewart's father, for one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, after he gets over the initial hump with Ian and Barbara, he becomes a mischievous and endearing fun Grandpa. He's too old to put up with any nonsense and speaks his mind because gently caress you, he's an old man and he'll say what he wants.

"...up there is the scanner scope, over there is a chair with a panda on it, sheer poetry!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They are broadcasting series 4 of the EDAs, yes. Apparently Death In Blackpool went out yesterday, and Situation Vacant is on next Sunday. Pretty likely they'll go at least through To The Death. Maybe into Dark Eyes 1, though that's new enough and wasn't made with the intent of radio airing, so I don't know how BF would feel about it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Industrial action at the time meant that they had to film the entire thing on film, whereas standard practice at the time was to film interiors on video and exteriors on film. That meant they were later able to release a high definition version on Blu-Ray.

I forget, why can't they do it for The Sontaran Experiment again?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

So has he not ever seen Asylum of the Daleks or

gently caress that, has his friend ever actually seen Threshold, or The Outrageous Okona or Miri or The Twin Dilemma or Profit & Lace or...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh gently caress, Jack Kirby writing for the Fourth Doctor would've been so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Requestion a Troughton, uh, request; got one from each of the other Doctors.

The Enemy of The World

Comedy option: The Dominators

• Locked thread