Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's not related to this episode, but I've been working my way through the old episodes lately, watching stuff I haven't seen in thirty years again, and I had to share this (probably unoriginal) insight with someone. Dodo was the Poochie of companions. I know ratings slumped during her tenure so I'm assuming the mid-60's audiences agreed with me. I don't remember disliking her this much when I was a kid, though.

At least I'm up to the War Machines so she'll be gone soon. Unfortunately I'm entering the bad lands of missing episodes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bad lands of missing episode, good lands of awesome episodes

I cheated and skipped ahead to watch Enemy of the World and Web of Fear when they went up for streaming. They were awesome. I'm disappointed that Hulu doesn't offer any of the reconstructed episodes other than the one piece of Web of Fear; I want to check out The Tenth Planet and Invasion. :(

Also, why couldn't they have destroyed The Dominators and kept... well, pretty much anything else.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's worth getting the DVDs of those

It's not worth getting the DVD of The Ice Warriors to be perfectly honest; the missing episodes are incredibly boring and kill the flow of the story. It's much better with the 15 minute recon recap in their place.

I remember liking the second Ice Warriors story as a kid, but that's one of the complete stories that the Hulu archive skips over for some reason. They also skip over all of Trial of a Timelord so the gaps aren't all bad. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

I still don't see why people dislike Dodo so much while liking someone like, say, Vicki who, despite having watched all of her serials, I can't remember doing anything at all.

Baring in mind that I'm still reaching Vicki to refresh my memory (she was generic early female companion in Enemy of the World and Web of Fear, and Enemy of the World had two much more interesting women in the cast who I kind of wished would have gotten picked up as companions instead), Vicki had the benefit of being given a personality beyond "hip youngster that the kids will like". Dodo was such blatant pandering that she annoyed me constantly. Oddly enough, I don't think she was that bad in The Gunfighters but that story had its own set of problems. (Edit: Aw hell, I got my early companions mixed up. Oh well.)

I don't have any problem with Leela though she was equally pandering (though to a different demographic :v: ) probably because she was a more fun character.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 30, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Man of Steel ripped off Miracleman for its entire third act, all the way down to breaking Zod's neck to finish it. I swear I'm the only person on the planet who noticed.

Probably because it didn't. The plotting doesn't match, the character's reactions don't match, the themes don't match, and the climax doesn't match. The only thing they share is large scale destruction and a cause of death. I wouldn't count the first since every big action film these days has that kind of violence and I wouldn't count the second because the circumstances are completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm working my way through The Dominators on my Doctor Who rewatch and I've recovered a traumatic memory. When I first started watching Doctor who way back when, this was the first surviving Troughton story (there was about a decade until Tomb of the Cybermen resurfaced). Now that's a bad first impression, but for whatever reason, my local PBS station seemingly decided to make up for the lack Troughton episodes by showing The Dominators every Saturday night for a month. I'd tune in each week ready to see the next story, more of those interesting new companions, and possibly get an explanation why they were calling this weird guy "Doctor", and every week for a month they showed The Dominators again.

It's a miracle I survived to Pertwee.

Once they got over the Dominators hump and showed those few Troughtons, they didn't break up The War Games. The show started at 10pm and I think I stayed up until after 2am to watch the whole thing. That one was worth it.

• Locked thread