Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PriorMarcus posted:

In the script Rusty goes onto the Dalek ship and self destructs in the same way the Dalek did in "Dalek", with his orbs detaching and spinning around. I guess they changed that because they want to bring him back?

I know I wanna see him come back. People here have talked about the concept of a Dalek companion before, and I think a recurring Rusty's the closest we'll get.

I think this is probably one of the stronger Dalek episodes of the revival. It has some silly moments, but it's a really neat idea that manages to construct an interesting way for the Daleks to be threatening. Rusty himself is a pretty nice exploration of the character of a Dalek. I thought it was going to be that he was lying and only using them to fix his radiation leak, but I much prefer the fact he actually did break in just the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The First Eight were all right after the events of Light at the End, and Nine went there during the three seconds he was away at the end of Rose.

The second Seven was actually Sylvester McCoy himself, popping in to make sure everything went smoothly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Burkion posted:

My favorite reaction of ANYONE to the TARDIS being bigger on the inside/smaller on the outside is the Brig's.

He is just so unbelievably pissed off that the Doctor would waste funds and equipment some how doing this. The Brigadier is impossible to surprise or shock-he meets the impossible with an angered brow and a raised fist. This is why he is, and always will be, The Best Companion.

My dad brought up the Brigadier as an exception to the Doctor not liking soldiers, but I wasn't entirely sure the Brigadier properly counted as a companion so much as just a big secondary character. I haven't seen the classic series, though, so I wasn't sure.

Speaking of, I've been thinking of getting my dad some Big Finish audios for Christmas (it would be for Father's Day, but I probably wouldn't be able to get them shipped to Australia before then), since he likes the classic series and that sort of thing seems right up his alley. He's said that Tom Baker is his favorite Doctor, are any of his stories especially good introductions to the idea and format? I could alternatively go with a 'sample platter' of good entry-level stories from each Doctor, and I remember someone suggesting examples of those a while back. Would anyone have any input on those?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

GonSmithe posted:

Don't be dense. The show was not anywhere near as popular during Tennant's run as it is now.

They also had no real proof that switching lead actor and showrunner simultaneously would work. Losing both at the same time would normally be a death sentence for most shows, and it's still been a big gamble even when it doesn't blow up in their faces.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

I think this is less likely than other people seem to, but I'm going to keep hoping. With a good writer and director, he'd easily be the best they've ever had.

With Skyfall they seemed to put their foot down and say that there's only been one James Bond, so as good as Idris Elba would be at being Bond, they've got the perfect excuse to never do that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jurgan posted:

People have noticed that the number of non-white actors in DW has decreased since Moffat took over. In the Davies era we had Martha and Mickey, off the top of my head, who were significant, sympathetic characters of color. I can't think of any major POC characters in the Moffat era, so the fact that he finally cast three black actors and they were lower class thieves is troubling. In most cases with racism/sexism/other isms, it's not so much the individual act as the pattern.

That's... a good point now that you mention it. I guess we've got Danny Pink now, but that' still not much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TheChad posted:

Are any of his episodes 'good'? :(

Well, some say Vengeance on Varos is a classic.

• Locked thread