Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Rewatching the episode now, and these blackboards in the TARDIS have caught my eye. The Doctor was doing Mathsy-Wathsy stuff when he woke up in the Paternoster house, too. At the time, I figured he was just trying to figure out the dinosaur stuff, but maybe he's working on something long term? :tinfoil:

Or it's just Twelve's schtick, I don't know.

Maybe he's still working on how to save Gallifrey from Day of the Doctor.

e:
I want to love Engines of War but it's kind of difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I don't stay up to date with BBC Radio iPlayer at all, but apparently the first two episodes of Big Finish's Eighth Doctor Adventures series 4 are available to listen to. I imagine they're broadcasting the series maybe?

That's Death in Blackpool and Situation Vacant. They're quite good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/schedule/?q=doctor%20who

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Over time they grew to trust and respect each other and the Doctor had a mellowing effect on the Brig who learned to keep an open mind and explore his options fully. Those early days were rough for both of them though, I think it's The Claws of Axos where the Doctor thinks he has fixed his TARDIS and basically goes,"SEEYA LATER, SHITLORD!" to the Brig and takes off, only for his ship to crash and he has to come trudging back and very politely ask his wonderful friend the Brigadier to help him extricate the TARDIS from its landing spot :3:

Unless it happens more than once I'm pretty sure that's at the end of Inferno, and it is indeed wonderful.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I think I heard somewhere an undisclosed black actor was approached during the casting for 11 but ultimately turned it down. Is there any truth to that?

I like Idris Elba, but I have no idea if he'd want to take the role, which if something most of his proponents didn't seem to consider. It could have been another Ecclestone (and I love 9 don't get me wrong). The enthusiasm of Capaldi for the role and the material comes across in spades, and that's what makes him a great choice to me.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

One of my favourite Tom Baker things is that often when he's unconscious he rambles strange fragments that aren't relevant to the serial at hand. Does anyone know why he does this? Were they scripted, or was it a Baker flourish like sniffing water?

e: the UK mainly spends money on Who due to a TV licence. I'm not sure the everyman is giving the BBC too much sweet, sweet merchandise money, even if they enjoy the show.

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 2, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

The only trouble is that the Doctor then turns out to be, after all, more clever than all of them, which always made Time Lord serials feel a bit silly to me.

I always liked the idea with the Four stuff that he was a medically Time Lord academically, but with all of his practical experience he managed to tack together ideas and theories that worked anyway. Even the way he flies the TARDIS is often referenced like this.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Okay, you're right. It's not billions. BBC Worldwide doesn't release exact numbers. HOWEVER, last year they made £300 from their TV shows. An episode of Doctor Who costs around £1 million to make. Their profits are much. much higher than what they are spending, just not as out of this world as I was saying. Sorry.

edit- Wait, gently caress, this article is from 3 years ago. So it's gone up, then.

A sweet £300 after selling all about 10 box sets down the market.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Don't worry, if it gets cancelled maybe we'll get an extensive grimdrak novel range starring the 12th Doctor and Clara where it's revealed the Doctor is a minor deity and Clara becomes some sort of space mercenary. And Rusty as a gritty K-9 reboot.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I would love 8 to appear in a multi Doctor story this series and he just describes everything in too much detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I don't hate Tom Baker, hes loving awesome, as is Boris Johnson, they are both eccentric as gently caress and mad as hatters.

I assume you don't really know much about British politics. Boris Johnson is more like an evil Tom Baker. He is a malicious McCoy hiding in Baker's body.

• Locked thread