Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
SO this is the episode where the Doctor learns Dalek KungFu right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My complaint with this episode?

It centers entirely around the Doctor.

First and foremost-the gently caress good is a single good Dalek going to do? What can a single good Dalek DO to change the universe?

It's not like you're going to be able to rig up this mind meld bullshit on the entire species after all, so what really are you going to gain?

Also, Doctor, seriously. Stop being A) Surprised at the idea of a GOOD DALEK and B) SURPRISED AT WHAT A GOOD DALEK DECIDES TO DO.

Jesus Christ, let's take a short list of all of the Daleks with morality! This isn't even me trying to reach for examples either-

The Human Daleks from the classic series

The Dalek from Dalek

Dalek Sec

Dalek Caan

DALEK OSWIN

You know what all of those guys did?

TRY TO WIPE OUT THE DALEK SPECIES OR CHANGE IT ON A FUNDAMENTAL LEVEL. (And then kill themselves)

Stop acting like the idea of a good Dalek is so novel and new! Stop it!

Also please do something about the Daleks who are quite clearly kicking the asses of everyone and killing untold numbers of people if you could. I mean, it's your fault the new empire exists, mind trying to DO something about it? Beyond farting around inside of a Dalek case and then getting surprised when the Dalek realizes that, holy poo poo, my people are insane I need to kill them all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care that much about the radiation detail, I still call bullshit on the Doctor being so shocked by a moral Dalek (and then shocked that it does what moral Daleks ALWAYS loving do) but I will say on the radiation note that that's one thing the original Dalek serial got extraordinarily right.

They were barely on the planet a few hours but due to how loving toxic the whole of Skaro was, they were all pretty much dying. They didn't often get their science right back in the day, but they tried bless 'em.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Autonomous Monster posted:

Hrrm. I usually avoid cape comics, but that is a creative team to make me stop and reconsider.

It's uh, not exactly a cape comic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hell even if they did, they might have just thoguht it was ANOTHER Seventh Doctor showing up to hog the glory.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I guess the tumblr "Eww the doctor isnt hot anymore" crowd might actually be a thing... if those numbers turn out to be accurate.

Look at your custom title.

Take it's advice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spikeguy posted:

I have never watched the classic episodes and I know how each Doctor is slightly different from the others. So could you sum up each Doctor in a few words in whichever way you believe would best describe their personality?

First Doctor: Grumpy, mildly angry yet ultimately loving grandfather.

Second Doctor: Cosmic hobo, eccentric father/big brother figure. A clown.

Third Doctor: James Bond with Science and gadgets, venusian judo. A Dandy.

Tom Baker: Tom Baker.

Fifth Doctor: Put upon optimist, overworked dad in over his head.

Sixth Doctor: Angry, arrogant, terrific fashion sense. Carrot cake.

Seventh Doctor: Master planner, wheels within wheels.

Eighth Doctor: Romantic, war weary, optimist.

War Doctor: Weary, tired, defiant.

Ninth Doctor: PTSD, furious, death seeking-hopeful.

Tenth Doctor: Half hearted, regretful, self defeating, lucky.

Eleventh Doctor: Forgetful, makes poo poo up on the fly, hopes for the best.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know what (if any) version of Spearhead from Space is on hulu, but it is the ONLY classic story that is available in HD and it's well worth watching in that format if you can.

How did that wonderful thing happen?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Meanwhile my ThirdDoctorAthon slooooooowly creeps onwards ever more and I've gotten (back) to the Three Doctors.

I adore the interactions between Three and Two. I really do. I wish we could just have had an entire season of them dicking around.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite reaction of ANYONE to the TARDIS being bigger on the inside/smaller on the outside is the Brig's.

He is just so unbelievably pissed off that the Doctor would waste funds and equipment some how doing this. The Brigadier is impossible to surprise or shock-he meets the impossible with an angered brow and a raised fist. This is why he is, and always will be, The Best Companion.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

My dad brought up the Brigadier as an exception to the Doctor not liking soldiers, but I wasn't entirely sure the Brigadier properly counted as a companion so much as just a big secondary character. I haven't seen the classic series, though, so I wasn't sure.

Big Finish I'll leave to the others, but the Brig most certainly BETTER be a Companion.

He met just about every Classic Doctor there was, and in my heart has met the rest.

The Doctor has, on more than one occasion, gone out of his way to go and visit him, even if 11's attempt wasn't that...successful.

Name one other person the Doctor goes out of his way to go visit after having had a ton of adventures with them. Not accidentally bumps into or the other person tracks him down-actively seeks out.

It helps that the Brig is, in some ways, the most human character of them all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PoshAlligator posted:

Unless it happens more than once I'm pretty sure that's at the end of Inferno, and it is indeed wonderful.

I'm not sure about Claws, but there is another fantastic moment LIKE this in the penis alien serial I believe. The Doctor gets the TARDIS working, tells them to gently caress off, leaves, Brig orders him to come back on the count of three.

Four episodes later, Brig finishes the count and the Doctor instantly appears, his job done-much to his annoyance.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cerv posted:

it's more the reverse really.
a lot of the dumber elements were added later as the concepts were expanded out in the novels, and weren't a thing around the TV production office.

To be fair that's not the only dumb element added to the novels.

Or need I remind you of the "Ace must always be having sex even when she doesn't want to" clause that apparently dominated most of the loving things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Forget it, Livid. It’s the Internet. It’s not about who’s closest to being correct, it’s who can shout the loudest.

Peri Brown?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In the spirit of the Oxxipation thread and J-Ru et al's reviews here, suggest an episode of Old Who and I will watch it and do an effort post on it :getin:

Carnival of Monsters!

(Mostly because I'm about to start watching it and am curious what some one elses opinions would be)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

As an aside, I’m currently having an argument with my good friend, who has declared Into the Dalek the worst sci-fi episode of ANY series since Threshold from Star Trek: Voyager.

So has he not ever seen Asylum of the Daleks or

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

Huh? I thought Asylum was pretty good.

My reply is as follows:

I did not.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, watching The Three Doctors, I realize something.

Modern Who has had almost zero stories featuring a nigh all powerful being that the Doctor couldn't face on ANY kind of even terms. It wasn't TOO common in the old days either, but it happened in some lovely cases.

Even Satan doesn't count, since for the most part he was just a dweeb. I think the best we've gotten is Midnight? And even that's kind of suspect.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

There really weren't a lot in the old series. The only one I can think of is the Black Guardian.

An adversary that you can't possibly defeat doesn't lend itself to good storytelling.

How is that the only one you can think of? I mean it's not a bad one I guess, but come one-I mention the Three Doctors by name.

Omega definately counts.

So does Sutek for that matter.

And I wouldn't want one to show up all the time- it just makes for a VERY interesting dynamic when the Doctor has to tread VERY lightly. Let's us see him at his absolute best.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I would ask anyone uncomfortable with the casting if they were familiar with salvage and scrap metal work actually being a thing. And that while very occasionally being legally questionable, is not generally seen as an immoral or malicious act. The brothers mistook the tardis for an abandoned space pod and didnt take a thing until the doctor said "Ok, you can totally help yourself to the tardis if you help me find my friend".

For more insight i suggest the episode "American scrap" on the HBO version of "Vice". This shows pretty much the most shady and illegal version of salvaging (taking copper from long-abandoned buildings someone supposedly still owns), but is a very interesting watch.

I don't really care about what you're squawking about right now because in the end it's pointless.

Why?

Even if you make them white people or brown people or rainbow people or clear people or glass people, and I THINK we've had glass people before, at the end of the day, the characters are all awful horrific people.

Ignore the fact that they had illegal tech, that they were going to leave Clara to die, that they were stealing from the TARDIS despite ALL common sense. Ignore all of that.

Their brother got horribly injured, so they took advantage of him, convinced him he was a robot and their slave and heaped tons of abuse and insults on him, entirely because they were jealous of him- and at the end of the episode, THIS ISN'T RESOLVED.

The fact that they are also black and play to certain thuggish stereotypes only makes things worse.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spikeguy posted:

Thanks to the peeps who answered my question earlier about giving a brief description of the Doctor(s)' personalities. As a follow up, can you explain if there was a character arc for the various Doctors.

First Doctor: Grew more human, became fond of the human race, and decided to combat evil where he found it.

Second Doctor: Largely remained the same, but ultimately had to come to terms with what he was running away from and confront the Time Lords themselves.

Third Doctor: Learned to be less full of himself and abrasive and to hold his ego in check, just a little.

Tom Baker: Tom Baker (Learned not to marry Romana)

Fifth Doctor: Grew defiant in the face of bloodshed and villainy.

Sixth Doctor: Really hates to work out and carrot juice.

Seventh Doctor: Went from a bumbling idiot to...the Seventh Doctor.

Eighth Doctor: Emotionally torn to pieces, bruised heart.

War Doctor: Got Old

Ninth Doctor: Got over his PTSD and accepted life-in time to die

Tenth Doctor: Really didn't want to go

Eleventh Doctor: Got Old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I apologize for interacting with Mattdizzle everyone, it's best just to ignore him.

I also apologizing and shall commence the ignoring.

ikanreed posted:

I just want to quote this as a piece of super-clever double meaning.

I try. I seldom succeed, but I do try.

• Locked thread