Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

quote:

USA! USA! USA!: 2.6 million, the highest rating ever for a premiere on BBC America,
the most-watched cable show of its timeslot

:stare:

Holy poo poo. I had no idea this show was so popular in the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

We actually have five times your population, so 2 million viewers isn't as big as it would be on the tiny island nation of Great Britain.

Of this I am aware, but I was expecting it to be super-super-cult. "most-watched in timeslot" sounds pretty serious, unless it's airing at four in the morning.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

Well, except Red Dwarf X was mostly sad and embarrassing (apparently they're going to make even more of it, the poor sods), but that's neither here nor there.

Red Dwarf was my favourite show as a kid. :smith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Well. I'm liking this one a lot already.

e: Wait, no Clara this time?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

If this is introducing a new companion, I already like this guy more than Clara.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

:catstare:

That. Is actually a pretty cool spin on "resistance is futile".

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I'm sure why they're being so coy about Clara's revelation, but it's a tiny blemish on what has been a great episode.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Looke posted:

A really good Dalek episode, I am surprised.

What is happening to the world, eh?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

So Missy wasn't a one time thing?

She doesn't scream "season arc" to you?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I have only two things to say:

1) Please, less Doctor calling Clara a christmas cake. Thank you.
2) I think that was basically a straight retread of Dalek. Only better, somehow. :psyduck:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Comfy Chairs posted:

Meet Merlin? Who do you think Merlin was? Timeless magician turning up out-of-the-blue (box) and manipulating history?

I don't know if you've ever seen John Boorman's Excalibur (which I adore), but the Merlin Nicol Williamson plays in that might as well be the (10th? 11th?) Doctor in personality as well, chewing any scenery in sight and bouncing around like an overexcited child. It's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjsiGd8iAfs

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Waiting for the episode to air here, but did they change this exchange in the actual ep?

Nope, it's in. Word for word, I think.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

monkey posted:

Expected greatness from Capaldi, was not disappointed. He is shaping up to be the best Doctor since Tom Baker IMO, hope he sticks around as long.

I was thinking about this earlier. He obviously loves the role, and he doesn't have to worry about being typecast or damaging his career by keeping it too long like the younger actors might. Assuming he doesn't get the boot, he might stick around until he keels over.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

That scene where the Doctor's sealing the crack in the power cells made me laugh. Oh, hey, look- it's a bloody great crack spewing radiation all over the room- I'll stick my head right over that, get a good dose going, yeah?

But by that point the episode had me so enthralled that I just didn't give a gently caress. Suspension of disbelief is a wonderful thing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of this episode for most of the little nit-picky reasons that others listed. However I have a new complaint to add to the pile. They could have easily used dead guy's line to get back up to the top of the Dalek, it would have been, to me anyway, an interesting situation and one where they were put in a position of being lucky that someone disobeyed the Doctor. It also would have been a clever call-back to earlier in the episode, etc. Maybe that was in the first draft but they changed it so they could give Missy a corpse? That is going to get really old if it happens every episode.

If they needed to give Missy a corpse, surely they could have just sent the first guy?

I think they just wanted the "brave soldier sacrifices self for the greater good" scene. Which is funny, because the Doctor barely has the semblance of a plan and it goes to poo poo anyway. :haw:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Shugojin posted:

I think it was mostly better than Dalek. Also I think the "you are a good Dalek" line has a different tone. It's similar, but in context it has a different meaning - instead of "you would do a really good job as a Dalek" it's more "you are what you get if a Dalek has a sense of good and evil".

DoctorWhat posted:

Browsing Tumblr right after it aired, it distressed me terribly how many people totally missed the distinction.

Alright, I need to go to bed, but I thought I'd address this while it's still fresh in my mind.

You could read the line this way, but it's not necessarily wrong to read it the other way, either. There's nothing in that scene that suggests that the Dalek has actually acquired a conscience, judged its comrades and found them worthy of extermination. All it says is that it finds the Doctor's hate beautiful- divinely so, in fact. It's entirely plausible (to me, at least) that the Dalek flipped because it looked on that hate and decided that it needed to get in on that. Or even that it finds the Doctor's hate so pure that it comes to see the Daleks as impure by comparison- Doctor as Dalek Emperor.

Honestly, there's no reason that the line couldn't be doing both simultaneously- and I think the episode is stronger for it.

HopperUK posted:

I liked the episode better when it was 'Dalek'.

And this, why the gently caress not.

The reason it doesn't bother me that this episode retreads a lot of well-travelled ground is... ...Dalek is kiiiinda ropey on rewatch. The central scenes with Eccleston are, yes, utterly brilliant, but everything around it is pissweak- the side characters, the set dressing- even the action pales in comparison to what we had tonight. The entrepreneur character is especially bad, and very nearly ruined the whole thing for me the first time around.

Doctor What may well be right that Dalek is irreplaceable and the only possible story that could have introduced the creatures to the revival, but it's nowhere near the best possible version of itself. And I'm a sucker for taking something that didn't work or failed to live up to its potential and trying to perfect it.

(Which is probably why I am actually hoping that Missy is the Rani)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

How does everyone feel about the idea of exploring the Doctor's childhood? Would you like to see his mum and dad or the house he grew up in? Would you like to explore the dynamic and events that made him leave Gallifrey?

I would, actually. :colbert:

That could be fodder for the best episode ever or the worst (or anything in between), depending entirely on what they do with it.

CobiWann posted:

That is the rumor, that he's going to be a repeat character on his way to becoming a companion after Christmas. Nothing confirmed, but I'm a blogger, I'm allowed to speculate on unsubstantiated rumors!

I think it's pretty obvious from the way it's shot, to be honest. You don't spend that much time and energy on a side character- that isn't even relevant to the plot of the episode- unless they've got long term significance.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Rewatching the episode now, and these blackboards in the TARDIS have caught my eye. The Doctor was doing Mathsy-Wathsy stuff when he woke up in the Paternoster house, too. At the time, I figured he was just trying to figure out the dinosaur stuff, but maybe he's working on something long term? :tinfoil:

Or it's just Twelve's schtick, I don't know.

PriorMarcus posted:

Every river begins life as a pond.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

please never remind me of that again

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The cuts put me in mind of Man of Steel- a film I liked a lot, though I know it is... divisive. That felt like something that had a lot of story to tell and no time to gently caress around with chronological hand-holding.

Here they were... jarring, I suppose. Or unexpected, at least; I had to take a second to adjust to the style. I don't think it hurt the episode any... once I had a handle on it. I guess I'm still not sure what to make of it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Man of Steel ripped off Miracleman for its entire third act, all the way down to breaking Zod's neck to finish it. I swear I'm the only person on the planet who noticed.

I have no idea what that is, and am perfectly okay with continuing in ignorant bliss for the rest of my life. :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Hrrm. I usually avoid cape comics, but that is a creative team to make me stop and reconsider.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

I've read theories that the presence of Twelve and/or The Curator in Day made Eleven a "past Doctor" for the sake of the multi-Doctor story rules to some degree or another, and his memories of Day were compromised as a result.

I think it'd be a mistake to get too caught up in untangling the rules here; Doctor Who's always worked more at an emotional, intuitive level than an intellectual one. Day was framed as Eleven's story and was part of Eleven's run- until the show suggests otherwise, I'm going to take it as read that Eleven was the primary.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Diabolik900 posted:

According to the OP, last week's overnights were 6.8 million. How is 5.2 million 4 million down from that?

Final rating for last week were ~9M; I assume someone got their wires crossed.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 1, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

While we're on the subject of ratings... I noticed that Wikipedia has figures for every season. Sooo... I graphed it!

Look, sometimes I get bored.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

I've opined at length in the past on the subject of the Other, but the gist is this:

If the Doctor is the reincarnation of the Other - if his heroism and his distinct attitude towards Time Lord society is somehow preordained - it does violence to the central ideological premise of Doctor Who, by which ordinary people become extraordinary through their actions.

The Doctor must never be "more than just a Time Lord" - he has to be a hero despite being a Time Lord.

It might work, I think- if you flipped it on its head. Rather than say that the Doctor was the reincarnation of a God and destined for greatness, the implication is that the Other, one of Gallifrey's founding fathers, was just some guy, you know? A big goof, winging it all the time.

Probably best left alone, though.

Attitude Indicator posted:

i don't know anything about the masterplan but what i've heard from this thread. and it all sounds dumb and unnecessary.

It's pretty much the definition of the inmates running the asylum, I think.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

I think (I might be wrong, ask Trin) that the ratings nowadays just don't match up to the 2006-2009 heyday.

I literally just made a graph, dude. :colbert:

Seasonal average ratings have been nailed to the 7-8 million range- the show is remarkably consistent. It has declined over Smith's run, but the change has been microscopic; 7.73 for his first season and 7.44 for his third, even with the half-season fuckery.

e: And it looks like 5.2 is a perfectly average overnight by the standard of Season 7. It's alright folks, we are shipshape and Bristol fashion.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 2, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He was asking for the comparison of Smith + Capaldi to Tennant, not Capaldi to Smith. And as your graph shows the steady climb that happened during Tennant's era stopped and dropped away rather sharply. It's a lot more stable now, but lower and not increasing.

That's relative to the population, mind. The UK has been growing rather rapidly in the past 15 years or so; we had close to exactly 60 million people in 2005 but it's likely to be more than 64 this year.

(The population was static for nearly the entire classic run)

In terms of the raw figures, it goes:

Eccelstone 1 - 7.31
Tennant 1 - 7.64
Tennant 2 - 7.54
Tennant 3 - 8.04
Smith 1 - 7.73
Smith 2 - 7.51
Smith 3 - 7.44

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

PoshAlligator posted:

I assume you don't really know much about British politics. Boris Johnson is more like an evil Tom Baker. He is a malicious McCoy hiding in Baker's body.

Oh no, I do believe Myrddin Emrys is British. Voted UKIP in the Euro elections, in fact.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

That's an eagle, son.

• Locked thread