Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Individual threads are great for people with archives who want to see past reactions to things, and it doesn't cost us anything to do them, so I don't understand this argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love Peter Capaldi.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'know, I'm getting a little tired of this relentless negativity!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I actually really miss I Am the Doctor playing whenever Eleven came up with his clever idea of the week.

When Capaldi regenerated, I figured that music would be his new theme. No such luck.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, man. If there's a crossover ep with Capaldi, Smith, and Tennant, it's going to be bonkers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

I think it's mostly that he just doesn't give a rat's arse about most people - he's very early First Doctor in that respect. Also, someone in the last thread noted about how insecure and unsure 12 is, which I think is quite true. He's similar to early Hartnell in that respect, in that he doesn't have all the answers, and has to fumble around and gently caress things up occasionally. It's definitely a big change from 11, who was basically a loving wizard, and easily the most competent Doctor to date.
My favorite part about this is that they get to do all this without regressing him. He isn't just erasing fifty years of character development. He has the same tactics and ideas as Eleven, but he just doesn't lie to everybody about it like Eleven did.

Where Eleven was

"What are you going to do?"

"Something brilliant. Just you wait!" (Thinking, "I'd better come up with something.")

Twelve is more

"What are you going to do?"

"Haven't a clue, but it'll be something good."

And he believes it. He believes it so much that we believe it, and whoever he's talking to believes it.

And we're even given a reason for it. Eleven was the one who forgets. He's running from the time war. It's why he's so young. He's competent when he avoids the atrocities he's involved in and isn't distracted by them but that came at a price, and now that he's actualized; now that he's facing his whole past and finally, finally dealing with it, he's full of doubt, angry, short with people, and best of all, confident anyway. He's old now because he's ready to face himself and his actions.

Narratively speaking, I'm very much going to enjoy the moment(s) that Capaldi finally gets to be a kind old Santa Claus, because they will, in truth, be earned. They'll mean more.

Senor Tron posted:

With regards to Twelve doing lots of math in the last episode and having chalkboards around in this one, I like the idea that he's still working on the calcuations on exactly how to pull off the scheme to hide Gallifrey. At some point (almost certainly offscreen) he will realise that he needs to go help and pop back to make his appearance.
Though this would make me happy in so many ways, it would also be an anticlimax of crazy proportions if they didn't dedicate an entire episode to it, and those aren't good for my heart.

Edit: Still waiting for my eye stalk, J-Ru! :colbert:

Also, this is your yearly reminder that I gave you that nickname.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 1, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wasn't Mark Gatiss being talked about as the replacement?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Also the Conversative Party is always waiting in the shadows for the BBC to make a misstep so they can blow the doors up or smash through the walls screaming,"PRIVATIZE! PRIVATIZE!"
I always knew you were alright, J-Ru.

Senor Tron posted:

I was actually surprised that they didn't include a brief shot of the First Doctor receiving instructions. They had built a replica of the original console room, they had the role of the First Doctor cast and had the costume. At the "you might say I've been working on it all my life..." line it would have been a perfect moment to just have a brief shot from behind of the First Doctor picking up a blue envelope addressed to him off his console.
Y'know when somebody gives a hypothetical that's so much better than what's going to happen, or what's already happened and you can't enjoy reality as much as you did before you heard it?

I am so very angry with you right now. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CobiWann posted:

I’m a white male myself, I don’t notice these kinds of things.
When people talk about privilege (pause for groan), this is exactly what they mean, FWIW. The ability to spend your days not having to think about things like this.

But I landed pretty firmly in the camp of "would've been nice, but Peter Capaldi's awesome :dance:" when I found out.

I have this experience a lot, really. When something that I feel is damaging happens on television, or a cool opportunity is missed, my reaction is to groan at it, then move on and enjoy what comes next, but if I even mention it to anybody, or somebody's around to hear me groan, they feel compelled to argue the point with me as if I feel that one missed opportunity or misstep ruined the rest of it for me. As if one sexist, racist, or even ableist moment that I noticed, or one opportunity to make a cool statement being ignored made me hate everything else I saw.

It speaks to a moral absolutism that makes people think of things like racism as a disease you have. Something you are, or aren't. And that's not really how these things work.

A show that spent so much of its fifty-year run arguing for equal treatment does not become a racist show after one misstep.

Doctor Who has had its fair share of moments where something potentially damaging happened, or a bad message could be interpreted, as is evidenced by our continuing discussion of Journey to the Center of the Tardis, but the proper reaction, in my opinion, to this is not,

"DOCTOR WHO IS A RACIST SHOW AND I'M NEVER WATCHING IT AGAIN!"

in all caps, obviously.

It's "That episode was a bit racist."

"Sure was. But the rest of it was also pretty great/crap."

Then, if you're put in the position to create this kind of damaging content, don't. That's it.

But again, every time I mention it I get Doctor What's favorite clip regurgitated back to me. "Oh, here we go," followed by a justification for why it's perfectly okay that the black guys were carjackers because some black guys are carjackers, and it becomes a whole argument.

It would've been very nice to have a nonwhite or female doctor, but, y'know, Peter Capaldi. :dance:

• Locked thread