Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I cannot read most of this thread right now, because I can't see Into the Dalek until tomorrow, but I just had to say that the end of Big Finish's Gallifrey Season 2 (Imperiatrix) is loving amazing. Gallifrey is a convoluted political drama, but goddamn if the end isn't very, very Doctor Who. If you're interested in listening to it, do yourself a favor and don't spoil it for yourself.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, I finally saw it.

The premise of the whole thing was a bit silly, and I think they're still getting used to how to write Capaldi, but it was okay, as far as Dalek episodes go. My major complaint with it, more than anything, is that it seemed to want me to care a lot more about the side characters than I could, with them getting so little screen time. It'll be interesting to see where they go with Danny Pink and with the Doctor sort of rediscovering his identity. The Missy stuff felt really shoehorned in and weird.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

My dad brought up the Brigadier as an exception to the Doctor not liking soldiers, but I wasn't entirely sure the Brigadier properly counted as a companion so much as just a big secondary character. I haven't seen the classic series, though, so I wasn't sure.

He also spends a great deal of his time shaking his head and saying "Typical of the military mind!" and disapproving of virtually any military thing that the Brig does.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jurgan posted:

I thought every classic Doctor met the Master?

I think this is technically true because of The Five Doctors, but I'm not actually sure that not-Hartnell or Troughton actually interact with him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They do seem to put Doctor Who on hiatus if somebody sneezes, though, it's the weirdest thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PoshAlligator posted:

One of my favourite Tom Baker things is that often when he's unconscious he rambles strange fragments that aren't relevant to the serial at hand. Does anyone know why he does this? Were they scripted, or was it a Baker flourish like sniffing water?

I think it was the writers for his serials, although it's definitely a very Baker/Four thing.

Payndz posted:

I always liked the very clear implications from the Tom Baker era that the Doctor was actually a rather mediocre Time Lord by their standards, barely scraping through academically and not fitting in with their staid and stuffy society, but that was exactly why he ran away in the first place.

The only trouble is that the Doctor then turns out to be, after all, more clever than all of them, which always made Time Lord serials feel a bit silly to me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The fact that there was so much of a gap and all these half seasons should probably indicate that the show has some problems on the back-end somewhere. I don't think it's going to get canceled anytime soon because of its fairly remarkable success, but it drat well could go on a mysterious two year hiatus at the drop of a hat and I don't think it's safe forever by any means.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It comes up occasionally in Doctor Who, as with some of the discussion regarding Journey to the Center of the TARDIS. For some reason, people groan whenever "that was a bit racist/sexist" stuff comes up, but it's just a comment. It doesn't mean the show or writers are suddenly evil bigots and the discussion would always be shorter if not for the four people who have to take up part of the conversation saying "Not this again, SJW tumblr nerds!" If that particular brand of discussion isn't your cup of tea, you can always wait a few pages at the most until the talk shifts to which person fits better into the Davros rubber mask they had to recycle and/or whether Moffat is the devil incarnate and who is buying a new Doctor Who coat.

It's okay to talk about racism sometimes and sometimes Doctor Who has has depictions that suffer from racist writing. It's okay that people post about it, here in the thread devoted to discussion regarding Doctor Who.

Peter Capaldi is great though, both in his depiction of the character and in the graciousness he's shown toward the hordes of fans.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Happiness Patrol and The Greatest Show in the Galaxy are the two hallmarks I can think of where Doctor Who was trying but was accidentally quite hilariously insensitive, off the top of my head.

I think shows kind of make a social statement no matter what their intent is. That's arguably encoded into story and nothing exists in a vacuum. The RTD years were definitely actively trying to put some messages out there. Sometimes they did alright and sometimes it was embarrassing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In the spirit of the Oxxipation thread and J-Ru et al's reviews here, suggest an episode of Old Who and I will watch it and do an effort post on it :getin:

The Twin Dilemma.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's this one as the first non-Twin Dilemma suggestion

How dare you cheat at this completely voluntary thing you agreed to subject yourself to for our amusement!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait, what's wrong with Happiness Patrol? I thought it was a fairly cut-and-dry mockery of Thatcher?

Magical Blues playing man.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish it were time to change my avatar to Four, but I want him to last for more than an hour if possible, so I suppose I should wait. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

As an aside, I’m currently having an argument with my good friend, who has declared Into the Dalek the worst sci-fi episode of ANY series since Threshold from Star Trek: Voyager.

How did you meet the Comic Book Shop guy from the Simpsons?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The preview made it look pretty intentionally goofy, which I'm normally okay with, but I'm sort of hoping the whole thing isn't some embarrassing flirt-fest where something about Robin Hood's ladykiller smugness mirrors Clara's dating life with Danny or whatever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

And now... Jason Alexander as the Doctor!

"Clara! How the hell do I drive this thing? Who makes a Time Machine this complicated? I can barely figure out my car radio, now I gotta work a Type 40? No more levers, I'm telling you, I am done with levers!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

Pfft, Idris Elba can't play the Doctor. He's a nice bet for the next James Bond!

I think this is less likely than other people seem to, but I'm going to keep hoping. With a good writer and director, he'd easily be the best they've ever had.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The role of space salvage men was cast with actors of african heritage, and people felt like this meant they were shown sealing the doctors space-stereo or something. There was also something about the brother being converted to a cyborg to save his life being treated badly by his brothers something something slavery.

While i respect a concern for how minorities are represented in public media, i also feel very uncomfortable with the idea of "If you cast underrepresented people in a negative role, you're sending the wrong message".

Whoa, MattD1zzl3, of all people, failing to understand the subtlety involved in racism? Really surprised here! What's that question you always quote yourself repeating about this subject, Matt? Remind us.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

With Skyfall they seemed to put their foot down and say that there's only been one James Bond, so as good as Idris Elba would be at being Bond, they've got the perfect excuse to never do that.

Hopefully they'll switch it up before Craig grows out of the part. Nobody wants another situation like the end of Roger Moore.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I apologize for interacting with Mattdizzle everyone, it's best just to ignore him.

Jerusalem posted:

James Bond stuff

You're mostly right, except for that terrible Lazenby line where he winks at the camera and says "This never happened to the other fellow!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

#1 being, of course, Pierce Brosnan saying,"I thought Christmas only came once a year :smug:" :cripes:

Yeah, that one is probably more embarrassing than the most embarrassing line in Doctor Who, it is actually that bad.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My favorite villains that the Doctor can't defeat, that I probably mention ad nauseum, are the Megara, who he goes to great lengths to play logic games with and in the end they still roll their nonexistent eyes and find him guilty, and the only way he saves himself is by grabbing the bad guy and using her as a shield so that they realize who she is and spend their time arresting her.

I could swear that they only postpone his sentence for an absurdly long time and leave (although I don't see anything about that in the summary for the serial, The Stones of Blood), and I've always wanted him to pop into the future somewhere and have a set of Tinkerbell-looking Kafka trial lights materialize and tell him that his time is up.

e: I thought Storm Warning was fun. Not the best Big Finish by any stretch of the imagination, but McGann really seems to enjoy himself :shobon:

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 3, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Just had a flick over to it and first thought is jesus that dress that Cessair wears is a bit risque isn't it?

"You have been tried and found guilty on the following crimes: Impersonation of a religious personage, to whit a celtic goddess, for which the penalty is imprisonment for 1,500 years. Theft of the great seal of Diplos, for which the penalty is perpetual imprisonment - the sentences to run consecutively." :haw:

And they say "There is still the matter of your delayed execution" before the Doctor sends them back to Diplos mid sentence.

It wasn't even comfortably revealing, either, because they just had to cover more of her with silver paint.

I thought I'd remembered it, thank you! Return to Diplos for Season 8, where they can walk by a rock and the Doctor can offhandedly say "I wonder..."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PoshAlligator posted:

I would love 8 to appear in a multi Doctor story this series and he just describes everything in too much detail.

In a cruel joke, they unite all the Doctors together, but Paul McGann just has to talk through a radio the entire episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The main effect that this bringing back had on the story is that it fairly obviously has no place for Adric, who had stowed away at the end of the previous story. His entire contribution to episode one is to sneak out of the TARDIS and then try and fail to steal some bread. In general he makes very little contribution to the plot and is generally ignored by all and sundry. He does have quite an amusing conversation with K-9, but that's about it, and his characterisation is different from Full Circle where he was less of a self-absorbed nitwit - saying that joining the vampires is better than just being killed by them.

I really love how often this sort of thing happened with Classic Who and how they just kind of rolled with it. It was often really obvious, with people falling unconscious at the beginning of stories or getting kidnapped and stowed away. It's often a few scribbled lines or just crossing out a name and touching up the dialogue a little. I like State of Decay the way it is, but it would have been interesting to see it with, say, Leela and a Tom Baker who was a bit healthier.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Invasion of the Dinosaurs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh my god, I'd forgotten that the one with the Terileptils also has that wandering thespian guy. I've got to rewatch Classic Who at some point, maybe when I can stop being lazy and actually write a blog or something.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Are the commentaries good? Thanks to MrL_Jakiri I have something interesting of Four to watch and I was considering the Key To Time series on DVD but I'm up for any suggestion.

Key to Time is pretty great. It has a lot of Douglas Adams's influence, it sort of has a continuous story, Tom Baker's obvious crush on Mary Tamm is kind of hilarious. It does have moments that sort of make you feel like you're watching a Monty Python sketch about Doctor Who, particularly in the first serial, but it's loads of fun.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The character of Richard Mace came from some radio plays Saward had previously done for the BBC, where Mace is a Victorian actor who gets involved in some strange and mysterious mysterious stragenesses. Here he's played by the comedy actor Michael Robbins, best known for appearing in the ITV non-comedy On the Buses for six series, who chews the scenery in the manner of someone who's been thrust into performing Hamlet at the RSC and knows they only have one shot at it so may as well give it both barrels.

I don't remember this one too well, but after reading the summary on wikipedia, I do remember loving how unapologetically hammy this character is. He is written as a ham, he is acted as a giant ham, and the way the other characters interact with him seems entirely engineered to pour an applesauce glaze on his hamminess. The villains were generic warblevoiced rubbersuit Who things that I could recall but could not remember which serial they were even in, but I remember the sort-of-cowardly wandering thespian.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Waterhouse also accidentally calls Tegan "The Tegan", so imagine I retroactively called her that throughout this post.

Ahahahahaha this is amazing. It's so classic Who, you can just picture Waterhouse accidentally saying it and the entire staff, including his fellow actors, rolling their eyes and saying "gently caress it. Cut and print."

You also reminded me that Five sparring with Tegan was one of my favorite things about them. I think they're trying to go for that sort of thing with Capaldi and Clara, but it seems much more mean-spirited with Twelve, for a lot of reasons.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like Embrace the Darkness a lot more than most people seem to and I think Neverland is okay, but sort of just part one of the confusing clusterfuck that is Zagreus without the charm of having all the companions and Doctors come back to play different characters.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have a hard time with some of the accents in Invaders of Mars, but it's good campy fun. I'm up to Terror Firma with Eight and getting quite tired of C'Rizz, but it was a breath of fresh air to have him back. Scaredy Cat is next for me. I also started Cyberman, which had a fairly dull first part and feels as though it's emulating the Dalek Empire stories, which is a mistake for so many reasons.

It's pretty great that there's always more Doctor Who.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One thing that ensures that shows have to cancel around the 7-10 season mark often is that the continuing main cast usually gets higher salaries as it runs, which isn't really the case with Doctor Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I loved the Time Meddler, although I got grumpy very quickly with Steven's surly attitude, so I was perhaps a bit happier when they put it to rest fairly quickly. It's always kind of irksome to me when a show whose central tenet is time travel spends a lot of time having one character say "Yeah, right!"

I sort of enjoy how innocuous the Monk's plans are and how petty the Doctor's revenge against him is. Rather than two rebel Time Lords duking it out, it feels more like two doddering Time Lords without a plan trying to one-up each other and the both of them cutting off their noses to spite their faces. I can't remember if it's this one or the Dalek one where Hartnell keeps stealing little bits off the Monk's TARDIS and doing a Muttley the Dog laugh about it, but either way, they were clearly having a bit of fun with it.

You should definitely keep doing these, JaKiri. Put them on a blog somewhere if you have another crowd of people besides us SA Who people who might be interested.

• Locked thread