Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Eyebrows. Eyebrows since the dawn of Time!

( Last week: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659405 )

On with the show. Your writers are Phil Ford (The Waters of Mars, DW The Adventure Games, Wizards vs Aliens) and GMS. The line producer was Nikki Wilson, and the director was Ben Wheatley. Into the Dalek will be the 243rd Doctor Who story ever told, and the 802nd individual episode.

Timeslot is 7:30pm in the Queen's Own Summer Time Zone, on BBC One. At this time, all suspicious Johnny Foreigner types must vacate the thread immediately (if not quicker) until watching the episode, or risk being foully and irretrievably spoiled!

Speaking of spoilers, if you feel the need to satisfy any weird and unnatural urges to discuss what might be about to happen next before it's been aired, there is a no-holds barred spoiler thread where you can pretend that you aren't all sad, broken people who hate fun and mystery.

And it seems like a quick restatement of the First Law of Doctor Who Fans is a necessary thing to have here, so. The First Law of Doctor Who fans says: "No substantive discussion group shall be entirely able to agree on the merits of any given story, not even the 'except X, that just plain sucked/rocked' corollary to this law." Please bear this in mind before bemoaning THE THREAD HIVEMIND CONSENSUS. (Wouldn't that make a great episode title? Or at least a great Big Bang Theory episode title?)

:siren: RATINGS GO HERE, IF YOU DON'T CARE, SCROLL RIGHT DOWN :siren:

Full explanation of what all this means is in the Deep Breath thread. TL;DR, it's all good news.

code:
Deep Breath

Overnights: 6.8 million, a 32.5% share.  AI of 82.  1st for Saturday.
Timeslot: Won, vs some awful poo poo on ITV that nobody watched
Final rating: PENDING

USA! USA! USA!: 2.6 million, the highest rating ever for a premiere on BBC America, 
the most-watched cable show of its timeslot
Canuckistan: 1.4 million on Space, the highest-rated show on the channel so far this year
Convictland: 1.187 million on the ABC, the highest-rated drama of the day.
:siren:

AND FINALLY, this week in Doctor Who history:

29th August 1964: The Tyrant of France, episode 4 of The Reign of Terror, by Dennis Spooner, with William Hartnell, William Russell, Carole Ann Ford and Jacqueline Hill. The episode no longer exists in the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You fucker, you closed the old one seconds before I posted a long reply and now it's lost, ARE YOU HAPPY

Well, I could see that you were doing your post up a bit.

I didn't like it.

PriorMarcus posted:

Do we really need weekly threads?

The mods specifically requested them a few years ago. IIRC we've been doing them all through Matt Smith's time.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Autonomous Monster posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo. I had no idea this show was so popular in the States.

"The most-watched cable show" is kind of like when Red Dwarf X was on Dave; it's doing great numbers for the kind of channel it is, but it can't compete with the big guns no matter how good it is. It's still possible for it to be a major event, though; it's just definitely a niche cult, even if it's a really big niche. The yin to Downton Abbey's yang, in the same way that PBS in the 70s was built around Tom Baker and Hyacinth Bucket.

Well, except Red Dwarf X was mostly sad and embarrassing (apparently they're going to make even more of it, the poor sods), but that's neither here nor there.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I still think I prefer The Invisible Enemy. I just can't get past what a fundamentally silly idea it is to shrink someone down all tiny and then put them inside a normal thing. At least that one knew it was a silly idea.

And then by being more serious it invites me to care about things like e.g. what the gently caress happened to all that radiation that was driving their Geiger counters off the scale?

quote:

A dose of under 100 rad will typically produce no immediate symptoms other than blood changes. 100 to 200 rad delivered to the entire body in less than a day may cause acute radiation syndrome, (ARS) but is usually not fatal. Doses of 200 to 1,000 rad delivered in a few hours will cause serious illness with poor outlook at the upper end of the range. Whole body doses of more than 1,000 rad are almost invariably fatal.[2]

And that's for a normal-sized human. For crying out loud, they didn't even have any anti-radiation gloves!

(shocked reactions)

(pin drops)

(crickets chirp)

(clock ticks)

...Drugs.

But yeah, if you're going to be all serious and po-faced about a story and act like you're making serious points about anything, you need to have this kind of poo poo shipshape and Bristol fashion. Genesis understood that much, at least.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 31, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Paxman posted:

Once upon a time it was common for the Doctor to have a young male companion who could be a bit of an action man while he concentrated on the clever dialogue and being mysterious, and I'm more than happy if we're moving back in that direction now we have an older Doctor again. I bet they squeeze a pretty girl into the story as well though.

The thought does occur that maybe the Doctor/Rory/Amy team would have been better suited to accompanying this Doctor than the last one...

(Who wants chips?)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I always got the impression that what RTD did to other people's work was just really intense script-editing, rather than the kind of stuff that used to result in a David Agnew. I'm not entirely sure where that comes from, mind you.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

The Chief Whip must be so bored, nobody ever needs to be forced to tow the party line. Also there is only one party. Like you, that's why I love the Dalek Parliament so much :allears:

I'd be more inclined to say that all the Daleks in the parliament think they're the Chief Whip.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Astroman posted:

And Wilf. I'm sure there were others...

Wilf did National Service. (Ian was the right age to have been called up either for the war or National Service as well.) Being conscripted is an entirely different kettle of fish to career volunteer soldiers like the Brigadier and his men, who it took a long time of working with every day for the Doctor to warm up to.

And, of course, let's not forget that HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE!!!!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sanity check time.

Overnight for Into the Dalek: 5.2 million, 24.7% share. That's a small-but-noticeable drop over last week's number.

However. It still won most of its timeslot against a celebrity special of The Chase (4.2 million) and was 2nd for Saturday behind the return of The X Factor on ITV, an established ratings juggernaut that sweeps all before it. Even more interestingly, during the overlap between Doctor Who and The X Factor, Doctor Who maintained its audience. There are about 2 million people interested in watching both shows on original broadcast, but they stuck with Who to the end, when they could have switched. We also have an AI of 84, which is two points higher than last week.

And we also have final consolidated numbers for last week. We're looking at 9.14 million viewers watching within a week of transmission, which is the highest final number since The Eleventh Hour, and the second-highest programme of any kind on any channel for the entire week, beaten only by the bad fortune of competing with an unlikely scandal on The Great British Bake-Off (9.28 million, and no, I am not making any of that up).

And then we have the cinema showing, which took £522,908 at the box office, the 8th highest-grossing cinema show of the week, despite competing against films that are showing multiple times a day all week.

I know that we like to imagine that the sky's falling and everything, but this is kind of like if you were in London in 1944, and you were terrified that they're ringing the church bells because clearly it means Zee Germans are invading. Settle down.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In the spirit of the Oxxipation thread and J-Ru et al's reviews here, suggest an episode of Old Who and I will watch it and do an effort post on it :getin:

I appear to be too late for this, but I'm going to set an RNG for between 1 and 155, and if anyone wants to pick it up, please watch...

#146, Delta and the Bannermen.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CobiWann posted:

As an aside, I’m currently having an argument with my good friend, who has declared Into the Dalek the worst sci-fi episode of ANY series since Threshold from Star Trek: Voyager.

Please remind him that both Demon and Course: Oblivion aired after Threshold.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Best commentary moment will always be Peter Davison on Resurrection of the Daleks, drawing attention to certain qualities of Mark Strickson's acting, although Colin, Nicola and Paul Darrow vs Timelash has plenty of great moments (I'm particularly fond of the "no advertising on the BBC!" riff).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I reckon The Visitation would actually fit in quite nicely as a modern 45-minute episode. It's certainly got the "entertaining cobblers" spirit down pat.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If I were worried about the show coming to an end, what I'd be fearing is 1989-itis all over again.

As I understand it, the fundamental issue in 1989 was that Peter Cregeen (head of series and serials) and Jonathan Powell (controller of BBC One) both had a long-running slightly creaking programme that nobody wanted to work on. The whole point of JN-T agreeing to do Powell's dirty work and sack Colin Baker in 1987 was that he would be allowed to leave the show and do something else; he then returned from holiday to find that if he didn't do another year, Who was going to be shitcanned. He tried to resign again at the end of S24 and S25, but both times was told there was nobody else to do the job, and if he went so did the show. Finally he said "enough", left, and that was it. The ratings and the scheduling opposite Coronation Street are a complete red herring; if there'd been someone willing to stick his hand up and say "right, I want to be the producer of Doctor Who and here's exactly how I'm going to revitalise it and breathe new life into it", they'd have got the job and who knows what happens next. (Peter Cregeen says something to this effect on the Survival DVD extras.)

(This "nobody wants to work on Doctor Who" thing is how Andrew Cartmel somehow ended up becoming script editor in 1987 despite at the time working as a CAD software developer; the sum total of his writing experience was two unproduced scripts and attending a few BBC workshops. He's a pretty good writer and there's a reason his unproduced scripts got him an agent, but it's not unlike appointing a Football Manager grognard to be the next England manager because nobody else wants to do it.)

So this is my slight worry; GMS decides it's time to move on, nobody sticks their hand up and goes "Me! Pick me!", and the show dies for lack of enthusiasm. Mind you, if I were a betting man and there were no obvious writerly candidate, I'd put my money on Phil Collinson talking his way into the job; the guy's far too much of a fanboy not to at least try.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

So I've got a question. Has anyone else noticed ever that one of Rose's denim jackets has a random cock and balls on the back shoulder?

What's that all about? Costume designer having a giggle? I can't look at anything else while it's on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I have mysteriously decided that it's time for a new thread :colbert:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662849

• Locked thread