Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

xaarman posted:

Profit off of other's misfortunes, IE craigslist

Seriously, Craigslist is teeming with good stuff that people are unloading for peanuts if you have the patience to wait for a good deal. My roommate and I got sick of our ugly college junk furniture and wanted a nice dining set, so we trawled Craigslist for a couple weeks and came away with an amazing antique set - table with leaf, four matching chairs, and a really nice sideboard for a hundred bucks. Granted, that was a freakishly good deal, but other very nice sets made out of solid wood and stuff, were going for only a few hundred. If you go the new route, you'll pay as much or more for furniture that is made out of particleboard and/or MDF and covered with veneer. Roomie also picked up a solid oak desk for $60 on Craigslist. Can't get solid oak desks at Ikea for any price.

So yeah, if you want a nice dining set, go antique, either through Craigslist (look for solid wood, good jointing, that sort of stuff - and remember that chairs can always be re-upholstered and re-glued) or if you have a 3k budget, go check out the antique dealers in your area.

On the subject of couches, I'd probably just buy new couches, but I don't know much about buying couches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread