Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Ikea really isn't that bad. They've got quite clear tiers of quality, and you can find reviews of everything. Assembly won't make you want to kill yourself or your partner unless you're buying one of their godforsaken bedframes. Personally, I'd get an Ikea table and check reviews on their couches, since that's a place they're price-comparable to other retailers. No idea for chairs. I inherited mine, proving that's a legit path too.

Don't buy sofa-beds. They're loving impossible to get rid of later, and they weigh a billion pounds.

As for other retailers, complain about the price. Walk the show-room floor, pick up price tags, and frown. In almost all of them, the sales guy has a fair bit of flex to drop the price, or throw in bonuses. I figured that one out by walking a showroom floor, then telling the sales guy that the prices weren't even in the same ballpark as what I was seeing online. He asked me what I wanted to pay, so I midlined it, and suddenly a bunch of things were 50%+ off. (This was Sears Canada, incidentally.) Ended up with a couch the same price as the ones I'd liked online, except I actually got to sit on one and make sure it was sturdy before paying.

Couch-buying is trickier than it looks, though. I like that mine has uniform-size seating so I can rotate them instead of getting the gamer-slump cushion that gets used the most. Also means they can get flipped over to hide coffee spills. I forgot to make sure the back cushions detached, however, which is sort of convenient but makes it just a little too narrow to be any use for regular-size adults to cuddle on without risk of a man-overboard situation. I suppose you could gently caress on it, but there's no way you're getting through all of the Avengers without someone sliding onto the floor.

Priorities. I have them.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread