Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

My personal "go-to" system for new players and groups is either Savage Worlds or PDQ.

Savage Worlds is probably what I'd recommend to people who are into the idea of playing RPGs but are looking to "play a game" more than "play a character" if that makes any sense. Basically Savage Worlds doesn't really demand much in the way of roleplaying so you can invest as much or as little into your character as you like. It's a good system for people who are coming into TRPGS from a background of things like video games, war games, or board games. It's rules are easy to learn, very simple and not very abstract at all. It has all the funny dice (which I find new players find engaging) but it avoids the "what do I roll for this?" question by making your rating in an ability be the dice that you roll. You'll have to put up with people mixing up d8s and d10s for a while though.

If you're interested in Sci-Fi Savage Worlds also has the benefit that you can play standard "sci-fi action" style right out gate with just the main rule book (which is extremely cheap). Star Wars, Firefly, Cowboy Bebop, etc. There is a sci-fi companion which can add a bit of extra stuff, but really the main book is plenty for the most part. Savage Worlds has the basic "test drive" rules available for free.

PDQ is what I use for people whose interest in TRPGs comes from things like free-form RP, improv or people who are into the idea of TRPGS due to the collaborative storytelling aspect and less into the idea of an action game. It's really simple rules but a lot of the ideas are more abstract and player-driven. It also only uses 6-sided dice and is pretty consistent on what you roll and what you can add to a roll (pretty much always 2d6 plus a bonus or penalty). The core rules are free (and only about 13 pages) and there are several settings/systems out there that are available quite cheaply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Sadsack posted:

Like the OP, my missus and I are interested in getting into RPGing but I don't really know where too start. Ideally we want to play a few games with each other so we can get to grips with the whole thing before we inflict ourselves on an actual group. Can anyone recommend any decent RPGs that work with just two players? I really like the sound of Dungeon World and the Star Wars games, but they all need three players minimum.

Keep in mind that in most games if it's just two people there will only be one player. The other person is the GM who takes charge of the setting/NPCs/plot.

The majority of games can technically be played one-on-one, but it requires more care constructing and balancing encounters, typically reducing the number of foes and their power level dramatically.

Unless you have a specific genre in mind already, I'd probably suggest a super-hero game for one-on-one play. They have a high power level and are naturally somewhat more suited to individuals rather than teams. The best ones are also fairly simple (personal preference is Truth and Justice)

But if you have a group that you're planning on joining you might just look into what games they're playing and try one of them out. You can afford to screw up when just playing around with just the two of yourself and learning the system before you join could help out a lot.

• Locked thread