Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

The Sharmat posted:

there were death knights in Warcraft before Warcraft 3

god you loving kids

Notice the capital U in Undead? Retard idiot bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my mom was talking to me about world of warcraft and kept saying 'witch king' even though the box was right in front of her

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Hoodrich posted:

Notice the capital U in Undead? Retard idiot bitch

I do not recognize the nationhood status of the undead

Endorph posted:

my mom was talking to me about world of warcraft and kept saying 'witch king' even though the box was right in front of her

your mom is cool for talking to you about epic games

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Endorph posted:

That is what they ripped off though.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Endorph posted:

so, uh, your mom plays wow? whats her ign?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
someone make the cool mom thread

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I pronounced it as litch way before wow and wc3 so that's the real pronunciation

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Dongslayer. posted:

someone make the cool mom thread

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Liches are bitch rear end wizards that are a pain to kill

Compare to Graveknights
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/graveknight-cr-2

Masters of combat and almost impossible to kill.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
skelton wizard

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

If a lich decides one day and says "Screw it, im pretty much an epic bone wizard and rule this physical plane with an iron skeletal fist, time to cash in on this 401k plan.", they can elect to become a Demilich, escaping the bonds of this mortal coil and unleashes its soul into the astral plane. Its body deteriorates until all thats left is a bad rear end floating skull that sucks souls and dominates hos.

Demilich: the upper echelon of steady straight lich'n.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Arkevillain posted:

quote:
Gary Gygax, one of the co-creators of Dungeons & Dragons, stated that he based the description of a lich included in the game on the short story "The Sword of the Sorcerer" by Gardner Fox.

On the subject of fantasy crap's sources, I always wondered where whole spade tipped demon tail came from. The cloven feet and horns I get cause of goats, and goats are assholes.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Concordat posted:

On the subject of fantasy crap's sources, I always wondered where whole spade tipped demon tail came from. The cloven feet and horns I get cause of goats, and goats are assholes.

goats are cool as hell and do whatever they want. sometimes that means they are assholes, but not through intent. makes you think about devil's motives.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

A Lich is a Skeleton/Ghoul/Magician/Warlock/Necromancer cmon use ur brain a little here

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Many rich people are elderly and a common translation/localization error from Japanese resulted in the term Lich

Liches often guard or are adorned with expensive items hence the misunderstanding

dendy crew
Jun 1, 2011

Dendy!, Dendy!, We love Dendy! Dendy - Everyone plays it!
is it possible for liches to be friendly or my boyfriend

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
a lich is that guy from eternal darkness

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
they call him a Lich but I don't think he had a phylactery so I don't think he really counts

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Concordat posted:

From what I can gather it's based on Greek mythological satyrs, goatlike beings who also had a tail. The bible itself does not depict the devil or demons as goats, although it does reference a number of goat worshipping cults. The image of Satan/demons as a goat-like creature as we know of today originates from medieval times as far as I can tell.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

why the spade tho

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Concordat posted:

why the spade tho

afaik the barbed tail is how they used to portray dragon tails, and dragons are deemed evil by Christianity, so why not put one on Satan?

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Man Christians love to hate on rad things.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei

OG lich

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

where are sorcerers in the hierarchy

spontaneous casters are disgusting, you're disgusting

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Voldemort is a septuple lich, it would seem, OP.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

yeah i was gonna say, the concept of a skeleton wizard who hid his soul somewhere is much older than d & d, but gary gygax may have been the first one to refer to it as a lich. i hope you've found this informative re: the development liches.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

http://2p.com/1046441_1/Female-Lich-King-Cosplay-as-Stunning-as-You-Can-Imagine.htm

proof that it's shameful to be part of the video came community(tm)

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
wikipedia:

quote:

Various works of fantasy fiction, such as Clark Ashton Smith's "Empire of the Necromancers", had used lich as a general term for any corpse, animated or inanimate, before the term's specific use in fantasy role-playing games.

so it looks like the concept & the name developed independently, and d&d was the first to combine them

dendy crew posted:

is it possible for liches to be friendly or my boyfriend

according to my research, it's impossible to ever answer this question

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

yeah, voldemort is basically a lich but maybe Rowling wasn't up on our hip nerd vernacular so she called the phylactery a horcrux instead.

but I would say that a lich is really more the corpse of a wizard who managed to seal off their soul into a phylactery for safety's sake.

the real question is what the hell is a demi lich?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Skylark posted:

You raise an interesting point... So were litches actually first invented for Dungeons and Dragons? I thought all the monsters in that were traditional and existed in various folk traditions or whatever.

well there was Koschei the Deathless in Russian myth. He was basically the first lich: he was an rear end in a top hat wizard who couldn't die unless you found his soul, and he hid his soul in a needle inside an egg inside a duck inside a hare inside an iron chest buried under a tree on an island in the middle of the ocean.

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context
There is in fact a Lich in our world today, cursing our existence as we speak.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

1upclock posted:

There is in fact a Lich in our world today, cursing our existence as we speak.

LOL!

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

in a needle inside an egg inside a duck inside a hare inside an iron chest buried under a tree on an island in the middle of the ocean.

what a fuckin rear end in a top hat

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context

It was either that or a mobile game developer.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

Verisimilidude posted:

yeah, voldemort is basically a lich but maybe Rowling wasn't up on our hip nerd vernacular so she called the phylactery a horcrux instead.

but I would say that a lich is really more the corpse of a wizard who managed to seal off their soul into a phylactery for safety's sake.

the real question is what the hell is a demi lich?

Answer: the lich gets bored with the world and fucks off to another dimension, leaving its body behind. Magic keeps the body going, but usually just as a head or something. A demilich will eat your soul

Real answer: A cheap rear end in a top hat skull that is hard to hit

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

01011001 posted:

what a fuckin rear end in a top hat

:smugwizard: what's the matter, hero? can't get to my soul?

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
are the draugr in skyrim liches, mummies or zombies? i need to know for tax purposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Those guys are 100% dead.

As far as original D&D creatures, I'm p sure the Beholder/Eye Tyrant is OC.

• Locked thread