Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Never been totally clear on this. A lich is like, an undead wizard? A necromancer? Someone who does "black magic"? Please clear this up, god bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Concordat posted:

Something about putting their souls in a safety deposit box so they can't die I think.

So is Voldemort a lich? Thats exactly what he did.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Ragg posted:

Hello OP. A lich is a wizard who takes his soul and puts it in a jar, and now he can't die unless the jar is destroyed.

Hi Ragg! So that sounds like exactly what Voldemort did so i'm 90% sure Voldemort is literally a lich, which is weird because I swear they never used that word in ny of the Harry Potter books.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Ragg posted:

Sounds like JK Rowling is a hack whole stole liches from Gary Gygax without attribution, but I guess its not quite the same cuz voldemort split up his soul into different pieces. But its basically the same so yeah. He's basically a lich.

You raise an interesting point... So were litches actually first invented for Dungeons and Dragons? I thought all the monsters in that were traditional and existed in various folk traditions or whatever.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

matrix ripoff posted:

lich
warlock
wizard
mage
magician

that's the hierarchy of wizardry for nerds

if you get soemone who flashes you they lich card, you best take them seriously

otherwise they playing

0____o

You're talking like a black guy, but I highly doubt someone black would be into this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
I just realized this song is exactly the opposite of everything liches stand for. Its good to not be a lich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?Su2jltmOITU

• Locked thread