Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
why the gently caress do they all still control like they're from the mid 90s. let me actually walk around with WSAD and poo poo.

actually just make one that plays like secret of mana but replace the anime storyline with endless dungeons and loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

console diablo is a lot like that but still not SoM good.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I actually wanted to see something like this work. Maybe there is a mod for torchlight 2 that does it.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
:agreed: because its bad enough that you have to click every enemy a hundred times but you also have to click to move and thats exhausting when ur out of shape

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I want something like Ys I guess, Ys with diablo-like loot.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
make all rpgs ys with diablo-like loot

i mean add other features and reactivity and customization and stuff too but iawtop

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
What is an ARPG really OP? There's Diablo and Torchlight, but I've heard it used for Zelda, Mass Effect and even Dark Souls.

It's true that clicking to move anywhere in a game that isn't a strategy game that has multiple units is compete bullshit though.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Gimbal lock posted:

What is an ARPG really OP? There's Diablo and Torchlight, but I've heard it used for Zelda, Mass Effect and even Dark Souls.

It's true that clicking to move anywhere in a game that isn't a strategy game that has multiple units is compete bullshit though.

i was wandering around the depths in dark souls the other day and thought to myself that drat, this is a better sewer grinding experience than i'd ever have had in diablo 2.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Gimbal lock posted:

ok I'll use a less open to interpretation term "Loot grinding simulator with randomized dungeon layouts and a story you skip the scenes in on your first time through"

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i wish falcom would rerelease sorcerian again

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
maybe you should play roguelikes

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

DoubleDonut posted:

maybe you should play roguelikes

most people are afraid of roguelikes

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

SeXReX posted:

ok I'll use a less open to interpretation term "Loot grinding simulator with randomized dungeon layouts and a story you skip the scenes in on your first time through"

This is pretty close to the dungeon grinding in recettear, so I guess if you don't mind the anime.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

most people are afraid of roguelikes

we're at peak roguelike what the gently caress do you mean people are afraid of them

like 90% of greenlight is some stupid roguelike poo poo

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
RECORD OF LODOSS WAR MOTHERFUCKER

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
path of exile is cool

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

matrix ripoff posted:

we're at peak roguelike what the gently caress do you mean people are afraid of them

The worst part is that there are basically no good new ones despite everybody trying to do it. The only modern games that managed to borrow lessons from roguelikes and be good is like Spelunky and FTL. Where are all the other ones? Haven't everybody thrown enough spaghetti on the wall to get more noodles that are sticking?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

The worst part is that there are basically no good new ones despite everybody trying to do it. The only modern games that managed to borrow lessons from roguelikes and be good is like Spelunky and FTL. Where are all the other ones? Haven't everybody thrown enough spaghetti on the wall to get more noodles that are sticking?

Binding of Isaac and Desktop Dungeons as well.

I hear Necrodancer is pretty good, but I have not personally confirmed that.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

SeXReX posted:

why the gently caress do they all still control like they're from the mid 90s. let me actually walk around with WSAD and poo poo.

actually just make one that plays like secret of mana but replace the anime storyline with endless dungeons and loot.

Try Borderlands 2.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Hoodrich posted:

Try Borderlands 2.

I'd prefer a top down 3rd person one (I'm bad at aiming)

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

SeXReX posted:

I'd prefer a top down 3rd person one (I'm bad at aiming)

If you play an fps game on the computer, aiming with a gun is basically the same as clicking at an icon. it is very simple even for a child to do.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Hoodrich posted:

If you play an fps game on the computer, aiming with a gun is basically the same as clicking at an icon. it is very simple even for a child to do.

I also like hitting people with things, not just shooting at them.

http://www.secretsofgrindea.com/index.php/pre-order looks promising but will probably be poo poo

program666
Aug 22, 2013

holy poo poo I just noticed I posted the exact same poo poo that was in the OP but with Ys instead of secret of mana, how can anyone be so stupid, what is wrong with me, do I have aids

Also, check Cladun OP, it's kind of like what we want but I didn't like it. Maybe you will.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Kinda like Bastion, but less story driven and more gameplay driven.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

thuly posted:

CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG

hell yeah

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

No Such Thing posted:

Necrodancer indeed owns.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

matrix ripoff posted:

most 'roguelike' games are not actual roguelike games.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

No Such Thing posted:

binding of isaac and desktop dungeons are not roguelike games.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

conceitedguy posted:

binding of isaac and desktop dungeons are not roguelike games.

Yea I know.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
dungeons of dreadmor is good roguelike

edit: TOME is so loving spergy but once in a while i get drawn into it and i get a groove going that lasts loving hours

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

matrix ripoff posted:

It's gay.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
                                  /

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
diablo3 with a controller is the best version of diablo3. i wish more of those games could be played with a controller

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

I've always like the baldur's gate dark alliance games. And the two Champions games. clicking the mouse a million times reminds me too much of playing dota

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Howdges posted:

I've always like the baldur's gate dark alliance games.

that is what i was hoping for with diablo3 on the consoles and that is what i got making me very happy.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

matrix ripoff posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhh

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
there's like three problems here
1) dungeons of dreadmor is barely a roguelike
2) it's not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
good is holding down up on the keyboard to clear a vault. Good is mashing space because the game doesn't have a rest button but DOES have regenerating health. Good is tediously cleaning out every item to sell it to a vendor. Good games have optimal strategies that aren't horrible.

• Locked thread