Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

My favorite roguelike is Rodent's Revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Oh also the proper term for games that are like roguelikes but are not roguelikes is now apparently "Procedural Death Labyrinths."

Like Tower Climb.
Tower Climb is a good Procedural Death Labyrinth

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I've heard rogue"lite" like they're lovely beers

or roguelikelike, but I don't think these games eat your equipment (only Gamers will get this)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the 12,000th dual stick shooter + permadeath will only sell if you call it a successor to an ascii graphics turn based rpg from 25 years ago.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

puckish roguelike

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
lol all these nerds comin in here and being all THAT AIN'T ROGUELIKE are just like the dipshits in high school going GREEN DAY AIN'T PUNK

even if it's true i'll keep saying it because lol lol lolly lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gonna have to side with the people who hate green day no matter how negative a light you try to put on them.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

The Silver Snail posted:

Oh also the proper term for games that are like roguelikes but are not roguelikes is now apparently "Procedural Death Labyrinths."

Like Tower Climb.
Tower Climb is a good Procedural Death Labyrinth

uh huh, yep, uh huh

and technically, it's not "techno," it's "Intelligent Dance Music"

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

gonna have to side with the people who hate green day no matter how negative a light you try to put on them.

Greatest loving band. Ev. Er.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I hope the term Roguelikelike sticks. Its complete destitution of self-evidence is beautifully ironic considering how much people seem to disagree on what is a roguelike to begin with. Plus it sounds rad.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

matrix ripoff posted:

lol all these nerds comin in here and being all THAT AIN'T ROGUELIKE are just like the dipshits in high school going GREEN DAY AIN'T PUNK

even if it's true i'll keep saying it because lol lol lolly lol

dungeons of dread more might, in particular, be a roguelike. But that won't save it from being a lovely game.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

SeXReX posted:

why the gently caress do they all still control like they're from the mid 90s. let me actually walk around with WSAD and poo poo.

actually just make one that plays like secret of mana but replace the anime storyline with endless dungeons and loot.

Try Soma Bringer

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Azraelle posted:

Try Soma Bringer

woah i'm angry about this never making it overseas now

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

woah i'm angry about this never making it overseas now

It is exactly, literally Secret of Mana meets Diablo and it's pretty good. You can even play with friends. And yes, it is crazy dumb that it never came here.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
There is a fan translation for soma bringer it seems.

Untold legends on the PSP would be another diablo-like with pad controls but it's pretty mediocre.

It seems that the psp have other games like this now that I looked into google do you guys know if any of those are good: Zenonia, dungeon siege and neopets wand of wishing.

Dec 26, 2012

Nihnoz posted:

dungeons of dread more might, in particular, be a roguelike. But that won't save it from being a lovely game.

it is, and it is

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't know how they'd aim AoE spells but i'd like controlling these like bastion

i don't like how arpgs control much so i don't play them. the last time i played much one of my friends hosed his save by being a huge rear end scrub in torchlight 2 and i ended up getting everyone to install a hundred mods at once and managing to accidentally gently caress out network up with the amount of packets one of my moves was trying to use

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

program666 posted:

I want something like Ys I guess, Ys with diablo-like loot.

apparently the dudes who made Ys made a game that pretty much was Ys with diablo loot. unfortunately its not in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

i don't know how they'd aim AoE spells but i'd like controlling these like bastion

i don't like how arpgs control much so i don't play them. the last time i played much one of my friends hosed his save by being a huge rear end scrub in torchlight 2 and i ended up getting everyone to install a hundred mods at once and managing to accidentally gently caress out network up with the amount of packets one of my moves was trying to use

i should see if van helsing works well with a controller, i know it has settings for that and im pretty sure the game is light on aoes that dont originate from you

Agean90 posted:

apparently the dudes who made Ys made a game that pretty much was Ys with diablo loot. unfortunately its not in English.

do tell

• Locked thread