Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Prominent opposition leader found dead floating in a chaff bag out in the ocean?

Has anyone seen Alan Jones lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Anidav posted:

They said the same thing about The Nationals and they're yet to gently caress off.

But the Nats, they're for the bush maaate.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Lid posted:

Unlike Gillard Robbo has no redeeming features. Or any other features as such. A composite sketch of John Robertson given his media appearances.

Yeah. It's a leadership stoush between two people most of NSW have probably never even heard of, apart from in passing in Robertson's case.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Freudian Slip posted:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Freudian Slip posted:

He lost his free Mercedes :(

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
IPA comes out against George Brandis' piracy filter.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

I fully expect the PUP senators to be loyal LNP subjects within a year.

I dunno, Palmer's essentially funding them at the moment, and I don't know what the Coalition could offer them that he couldn't.

Gough Suppressant posted:

It took Tony Abbott almost a year, and significant concessions, to get a mining magnate to vote to decrease his own tax bill.
I don't think it says much about the negotiating skills of Abbott and co. PUP was their only chance to get the bill through, and Palmer knew it.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Ragingsheep posted:

IPA comes out against George Brandis' piracy filter.

IPA angry at LNP for coming up with a policy too much like a Labor policy. Interestingly, the IPA have heard of VPNs and actually mentioned them.

SMH posted:

Proposed changes to copyright law would mirror Labor's dumped internet filter and would not curb online piracy, the free market think tank the Institute of Public Affairs has said.
The IPA has slammed ideas raised in the government's discussion paper and warned there is a "real risk" Attorney General George Brandis will push ahead with the proposals "in defiance of Liberal values".

The government is calling for debate about an idea to introduce a new special injunction that would force Australian internet service providers to block sites which enable illegal downloads of content such as films or television shows.

It is one of several proposals included in the Online Copyright Infringement discussion paper that Attorney-General George Brandis and Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull released at the end of July.
In its submission to the government, the IPA has slammed the proposals and described them as a threat to free speech and predicted the measures will be ineffective.
"The policy resembles the previous Labor government's internet filter, and, like the internet filter, represents a threat to freedom of speech and digital liberty," the IPA argued.

"The government lampooned these ideas when Labor proposed them," the IPA's Simon Breheny told Fairfax Media.
"Alarmingly, this is a Liberal government that prior to the election made promises on freedom of speech. We expect a Liberal government to adhere to liberal values and this policy does anything but," he said.

Furthermore, the IPA argues that such injunctions would be easily bypassed by users buying a Virtual Private Network, or as they are commonly known, VPN.
"VPNs are not tools of a savvy, narrow elite,"
the submission said.

The IPA's 18 page submission also argues the proposals would see the costs of copyright protection unfairly shifted onto the internet service providers. The IPA believes a better way to deal with online piracy in Australia would be to introduce a "fair use exception". ***

Mr Breheny said he was "concerned" and "alarmed" that the government was not placing more emphasis on the importance of innovation and technological advances, such as content streaming platforms, to resolve piracy issues over ineffective regulations. He said ultimately rights holders needed to take responsibility by ensuring their content was accessible and affordable.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...l#ixzz3C8fUW9x3

From Wikipedia:
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders.

Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship.

This is something I don't see Village Roadshow ever going for, for the same reason they want the cost of piracy policing to be on the ISPs. Greed.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Bompacho posted:

IPA angry at LNP for coming up with a policy too much like a Labor policy. Interestingly, the IPA have heard of VPNs and actually mentioned them.

IPA is basically run by a bunch of internet libertarians so its not that big a surprise tbh

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Freudian Slip posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsd5OkLvShw

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
To be fair I think the IPA has always been fairly consistent on civil liberties stuff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Freudian Slip posted:

He's got a bit part in a musical, and apparently isn't very good in it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

He's got a bit part in a musical, and apparently isn't very good in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX7QMz76JPA

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Jumpingmanjim posted:

To be fair I think the IPA has always been fairly consistent on civil liberties stuff.

But property rights

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Haters Objector posted:

But property rights

Property rights are human rights!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mr Chips posted:

If I'm channeling Tony right, the enemies of freedom and justice are Scottish 'Yes' voters, not the Indonesian military.

I'm expecting ASIO around at my door any minute now for this exact rea

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ROVE IS STILL ALIVE???????

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
given this thread likes talking about dumb student politics, the monash liberal party club facebook is apparently boasting over how they passed a motion supporting the abolition of universal health care.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Gough Suppressant posted:

given this thread likes talking about dumb student politics, the monash liberal party club facebook is apparently boasting over how they passed a motion supporting the abolition of universal health care.

Take that, peasants! That will teach you to need things!

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Quick roundup on the MRC forum.

The general situation is all major heads are fuming at Graham Mason (Screen Aust CEO) for despite having coming out to SA on a road-trip last year and wanting to boost support for the industry in SA, he then decides callously slash funding from Screen Network institutions across the country, of which the MRC is one of the oldest.

The general gist of cutting the funding was "the states can do the heavy lifting" and "this government supports you too much from the cradle to the grave" - which is quite rich when you're cutting something that registers at 0.0062% of your allocation.
Thankfully this outrage is shared by the SAFC who aren't too pleased with being told to do all the work.

Also the laughable notion that YouTube is the place to put out your films, as opposed to finding a distributor within a network, or festival.

No overall consensus on where to go from here, as there are additional meetings with other councils tonight that will set the scene further, but the loose plan is to spend the next 18 months lobbying away in the hopes that some funds will be returned, perhaps gradually, as well as look as other sources of funding and to adjust the role of the MRC to better suit the climate.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

WebDog posted:

Quick roundup on the MRC forum.

The general situation is all major heads are fuming at Graham Mason (Screen Aust CEO) for despite having coming out to SA on a road-trip last year and wanting to boost support for the industry in SA, he then decides callously slash funding from Screen Network institutions across the country, of which the MRC is one of the oldest.

The general gist of cutting the funding was "the states can do the heavy lifting" and "this government supports you too much from the cradle to the grave" - which is quite rich when you're cutting something that registers at 0.0062% of your allocation.
Thankfully this outrage is shared by the SAFC who aren't too pleased with being told to do all the work.

Also the laughable notion that YouTube is the place to put out your films, as opposed to finding a distributor within a network, or festival.

No overall consensus on where to go from here, as there are additional meetings with other councils tonight that will set the scene further, but the loose plan is to spend the next 18 months lobbying away in the hopes that some funds will be returned, perhaps gradually, as well as look as other sources of funding and to adjust the role of the MRC to better suit the climate.

Thanks for the update. All news coming out of the SAFC has been pretty grim.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
After starting a new job, I am expereincing the never-before joy of driving down the Tullamarine and Citylink each morning. The only amusing thing is that every single driver curses Bolte when you cross that bridge at a dangerous crawl (or splatted on the side when a truck crushes you when it changes lanes without warning, much as almost happened to me today). How the hell did they gently caress that road up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jumpingmanjim posted:

ROVE IS STILL ALIVE???????

Yeah, his dream of being an American late night TV Show host bombed cos, well, he had no Rudd or his dumb unfunny mates

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Comstar posted:

After starting a new job, I am expereincing the never-before joy of driving down the Tullamarine and Citylink each morning. The only amusing thing is that every single driver curses Bolte when you cross that bridge at a dangerous crawl (or splatted on the side when a truck crushes you when it changes lanes without warning, much as almost happened to me today). How the hell did they gently caress that road up.

It is certainly appropriate that we named a terrible thing after Henry Bolte

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

This country sucks, I'm going to sweden and becoming a bartender.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Judge Dredd was never satire.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

chaos rhames posted:

This country sucks, I'm going to sweden and becoming a bartender.

Would vote for Li Hung.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Li Hung transforms into a boat that saves asylum seekers.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Would vote for Li Hung.

I dunno, what's her stance on illegal nanodrone arrivals. I mean, we need a strong leader willing to use the nuclear space laser defence grid, but just how far is too far, you know???

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Thanks for the update. All news coming out of the SAFC has been pretty grim.
There's some reassurance that the SAFC understands the MRC's role in supporting emerging film talent and where it's been forced to cut it's own development initiatives, it's tried to pass them down to the MRC - who can take on smaller scale projects and script assessments.
This has been a success in that it's allowed people to prove themselves and get proper funding from Screen Aust/SAFC.

It's an argument that they're aiming to use to convince Screen Aust to bring back some funding as most other emerging film establishments across the country have a poor, or dead, relationship with their state.

The worst case is the MRC scales back down to mid 2000 levels. In this case a severe scaling back of services would be needed to operate with less. The Mercury would still be operating to a lesser degree as well.

It's pretty making GBS threads timing, given we're in the middle of a boom with emerging developments.

If you do want to help in some shape or form, the very least is to pop into the Mercury and catch up on some great films or buy an MRC membership.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aaronicon posted:

I dunno, what's her stance on illegal nanodrone arrivals. I mean, we need a strong leader willing to use the nuclear space laser defence grid, but just how far is too far, you know???

If we just nuke every other country there won't be any more refugees left alive to come here. Protect Australian boarders, Kill every Non-Australian in the world!

Vote 1 John Howard Jr.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

dr_rat posted:

If we just nuke every other country there won't be any more refugees left alive to come here. Protect Australian boarders, Kill every Non-Australian in the world!

Vote 1 John Howard Jr.

"CRUSH, KILL, DESTROY" VOTE 1 LITTLE JOHNNY

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

WebDog posted:

There's some reassurance that the SAFC understands the MRC's role in supporting emerging film talent and where it's been forced to cut it's own development initiatives, it's tried to pass them down to the MRC - who can take on smaller scale projects and script assessments.
This has been a success in that it's allowed people to prove themselves and get proper funding from Screen Aust/SAFC.

It's an argument that they're aiming to use to convince Screen Aust to bring back some funding as most other emerging film establishments across the country have a poor, or dead, relationship with their state.

The worst case is the MRC scales back down to mid 2000 levels. In this case a severe scaling back of services would be needed to operate with less. The Mercury would still be operating to a lesser degree as well.

It's pretty making GBS threads timing, given we're in the middle of a boom with emerging developments.

If you do want to help in some shape or form, the very least is to pop into the Mercury and catch up on some great films or buy an MRC membership.

All the MRC news is really interesting, thanks for the update.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Also, an Asian lesbian cyborg would be the best prime minister Australia ever had. Would totally vote for her.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Get Penny Wong a robot arm already.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Haters Objector posted:

It is certainly appropriate that we named a terrible thing after Henry Bolte

This. gently caress Henry Bolte. The Ryan case was a sham and Bolte wanted him killed because the courts blue balled him with an insanity ruling the last time he tried to off someone and he needed some blood to appease the electorate.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/2488125...0-000-hectares/

Tasmania saw the mining tax repeal and wanted to double up on destroying the environment.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Mad Katter posted:

All the MRC news is really interesting, thanks for the update.
Rip It Up has some of the facts and an idea of what the greater impact will be.

For more info as it comes, keep tabs on the MRC facebook page.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Holy loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nuclear Spy posted:

Holy loving poo poo

Dip Morrison in tar and set him on fire.

• Locked thread