Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
MMA Hour is live, pretty good guests

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/2/6094441/the-mma-hour-with-michael-bisping-uriah-hall-matt-mitrione-ben-askren

1 p.m. ET -- Referee "Big" John McCarthy will discuss recent news pertaining to him.

1:25 p.m. -- Ben Askren will talk about winning ONE FC welterweight title and Dana White's recent comments about him.

1:45 p.m. -- Michael Bisping will look back at his win over Cung Le and ahead to what's next.

2:05 p.m. -- Matt Mitrione will preview his UFC Fight Night 50 bout against Derrick Lewis.

2:25 p.m. -- Uriah Hall will talk about his win over Thiago Santos last month and what's next for him.

2:45 p.m. -- Former MMA media member turned Bellator matchmaker Sam Caplan will discuss what's next for him after leaving Bellator.

3:05 p.m. -- We'll go Inside the Vault and look at one of our classic interviews.

3:25 p.m. -- We'll answer your #themmahour questions on anything and everything going on in the MMA world. Hit us up on Twitter using that hash tag, leave a question in the comments section below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Man, Big John is real-talking about lovely refs and lovely weight cutting

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
anyone else going to the foxwoods show friday? i got the cheap tickets but im in the front of the cheap area. i hope to see overeem at one of the clubs after if he doesnt cease existing during his fight

hope you all had a great long weekend

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

"I would rather retire and go coach my wrestling team than get on my knees and grovel for a UFC spot like some of these guys do" - Ben

He does NOT have an out-clause with OneFC by the way

OneFC has 14 shows booked in Mainland China, apparently their TV deals literally hits over a billion people (MRT, confirm?)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ben Askren talked himself out of a UFC contract again.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Askren : Johny sticks his fingers in people's mouths, also a biter

<yuriy> Ariel : "Can you cool it on the tweets? We all want to see you in the UFC and you keep instigating things!"
<yuriy> Askren: "I don't grovel and I have a hard time with the way Dana treats people"

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 2, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ben Askren is basically Billy Zabka in that he gets paid to beat up a bunch of people who took a couple karate classes like 3 weeks before a camera was in their face.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Dana's strategy of trashing people while in negotiation with them is pretty penny wise and pound foolish. "Hmmm I want to sell this person as totally legit so I can make millions from PPV buys from them in two years. I better tell the world how much I think they suck, so that I save $80,000." More generally even when that is a good negotiation tactic, it's just a sleazy thing to do in general. Boss man with a fuzzy hat and opera glasses hung around the neck, doing some professional negging.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

quote:

Guto Inocente drops to LHW to face Anthony Perosh at UFC Fight Night in Australia on November 8th.

who the gently caress is guto inocente

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Romero posted:

anyone else going to the foxwoods show friday? i got the cheap tickets but im in the front of the cheap area. i hope to see overeem at one of the clubs after if he doesnt cease existing during his fight

hope you all had a great long weekend

I'm going, God has blessed this show with health and heavyweights.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Lone Goat posted:

Barnett is really bad at magic though~

As opposed to Brock, who runs complicated tri-color decks?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What did big john say?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Yuriy posted:

who the gently caress is guto inocente

Well it's not Brock, Hunt or Nelson that's for drat sure

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

What did big john say?

defended the bendo stoppage, talked about other close stoppages and refs who cave in to pressure from the crowd over the safety of the fighter

talked about weight cutting and how different states do it

Edit: Might be some Cung Le drama brewing

quote:

@MMASun 1m
Why, Cung? Why?

Gonna guess he popped

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 2, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Ben Askren talks a lot of poo poo for a guy who's best win is a split decision over jay hieron.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
the Bendo stoppage was 100% good

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Dangersim posted:

Ben Askren talks a lot of poo poo for a guy who's best win is a split decision over jay hieron.

You know what, people keep making this argument and it genuinely bugs me.

The fight was a long time ago, he spent a lot of time in the #2 promotion around (Bellator): What would you have him do?

What 170lbs fighter would you have him fight outside the UFC?

He keeps winning, he keeps finishing fights, he has a large following and more buzz than the majority of UFC fighters

It's not like the dude can manifest better competition, he just demolishes anything that's in front of him.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

InfiniteZero posted:

As opposed to Brock, who runs complicated tri-color decks?

Lookit dis fuckin scrub what thinks three whole colours is complicated.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Just keep Brock away from Red and he'll do fine.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yuriy posted:

The fight was a long time ago, he spent a lot of time in the #2 promotion around (Bellator): What would you have him do?

He keeps winning, he keeps finishing fights, he has a large following and more buzz than the majority of UFC fighters

It's not like the dude can manifest better competition, he just demolishes anything that's in front of him.

All of that means nothing if Dana doesn't like you. Especially if you're not a striker.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Yuriy posted:

There are loads of fights that would be good challenges for Ben and raise his name value and they are all in WSOF which he rejected going to in favour of OneFC. So instead of potentially facing people like Shields, Palhares, Fitch, Burkman, etc., he decided to go to Asia and beat up cans for more money. Can't blame him for that, but I don't think it's going to raise his appeal to the UFC or average fans.

I like him a lot, but I think his decision to go to OneFC massively hurt his chances of getting to the UFC.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If Askren had gone to WSoF and wrestled the poo poo out of Fitch and Burkman he'd probably be coaching a season of TUF as we speak

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Askren exclusively has extremely bad fights against no names and afaik he never beat Dan Henderson so I don't see why he should be in UFC getting paid the big dollars.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Google Butt posted:

All of that means nothing if Dana doesn't like you. Especially if you're not a striker.

Kinda sad

quote:

@shaunalshatti 38s
UFC 177 salaries: T.J. Dillashaw pockets $100,000 for short notice title defense over Joe Soto

I know there's all sorts of bonuses and sponsorships but it's kinda funny that Askren makes more money than a UFC champ anyway

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Yuriy posted:

Have you still not watched the fight?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Askren exclusively has extremely bad fights against no names

this isn't reality

he has extremely entertaining fights against no names

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

Kinda sad

I know there's all sorts of bonuses and sponsorships but it's kinda funny that Askren makes more money than a UFC champ anyway

"I know TJ makes way more than this but it's kinda funny that this figure, which is less than what he makes, is also less than what Askren makes"

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

quote:

@Anthony_Rumble 1h
How can Overshit call me a pussy when he ducked JDS? Biggest pussy in the heavyweight division. I know the truth kid lol a cpl of us do!

Reem vs Rumble escalating

fatherdog posted:

"I know TJ makes way more than this but it's kinda funny that this figure, which is less than what he makes, is also less than what Askren makes"

In all fairness, who knows what Askren makes behind the scenes at OneFC. If he's making more than a UFC champ to beat up Japanese dudes, then that's funny imo

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Reem vs Rumble make it loving happen Joe

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

the Bendo stoppage was 100% good

Yeah I agree. Nothing to defend there

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Yuriy posted:

In all fairness, who knows what Askren makes behind the scenes at OneFC. If he's making more than a UFC champ to beat up Japanese dudes, then that's funny imo

I find that highly unlikely.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

MassRafTer posted:

I'm going, God has blessed this show with health and heavyweights.

theres still time

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Overshit is the worst name calling I have ever heard. Be more creative, Anthony.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ChampRamp posted:

Overshit is the worst name calling I have ever heard. Be more creative, Anthony.

yeah, analreem was right there

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Yuriy posted:

There is probably pretty close to zero chance OneFC offers backroom bonuses comparable to what the UFC purportedly does, where Liz Carmouche only made like $6k to lose a title fight and then had a new truck in her driveway the next week. Any significant money outside of disclosed pay is sponsorship payout, of which I don't think Askren has anything significant.

In fact, does that number TJ made include his POTN bonus? Because if not then his pay is the same as Askren's according to this http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1934827-ben-askren-details-one-fc-contract-including-financial-figures

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
TJ the bulldog Dillashaw has made a ton of money this year, I bet.

Anyway TJ is basically a lock for Fighter of the Year, right? He's won 3 fights this year, won the belt from a gremlin, saved a card from cancellation unlike the coward Jon Jones who almost cancelled another card, and he set a record with two 5th round stoppages.

The only other contender is Robbie Lawler but he's 2-1, even if those 3 fights were all extremely cool. Cerrone might also be up there depending on how the Alvarez fight goes. Technically we still have 4 more months to go but I don't see how anything else the rest of the year would change things unless Weidman snaps both of Vitor's feet or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

TJ the bulldog Dillashaw has made a ton of money this year, I bet.

Anyway TJ is basically a lock for Fighter of the Year, right? He's won 3 fights this year, won the belt from a gremlin, saved a card from cancellation unlike the coward Jon Jones who almost cancelled another card, and he set a record with two 5th round stoppages.

The only other contender is Robbie Lawler but he's 2-1, even if those 3 fights were all extremely cool. Cerrone might also be up there depending on how the Alvarez fight goes. Technically we still have 4 more months to go but I don't see how anything else the rest of the year would change things unless Weidman snaps both of Vitor's feet or something.

If Lawler/Hendricks II somehow ends up in 2014 Lawler has a chance (although I think he'll lose that fight) but otherwise it's between Cerrone and Dillashaw right now. I guess I wouldn't count Werdum out either just because there's a chance Cain injures himself, doesn't pull out and Werdum pulls off a shocking upset.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Y'all motherfuckers are forgetting about Aoutneil "Neil" Magny, winner of 4 straight fights in 2014.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Werdum should win fighter of the year based entirely off of his performance against Browne anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

If Lawler/Hendricks II somehow ends up in 2014 Lawler has a chance (although I think he'll lose that fight) but otherwise it's between Cerrone and Dillashaw right now. I guess I wouldn't count Werdum out either just because there's a chance Cain injures himself, doesn't pull out and Werdum pulls off a shocking upset.

Cain wouldn't have to come in with an injury to get upset by Werdum, just a gameplan that involved performing a takedown at any point.

• Locked thread