Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Either way the cost of actually broadcasting the event is much more expensive than the venue fee. We don't really know the details of UFC's break even point, but for WWE it was about 70,000 buys (when they were PPV oriented.) UFC pays its talent a much higher portion of their revenue than WWE so their break even point can be much higher (when fighters with PPV points and a high downside fight.)

According to Meltzer, UFC events break even at 250k buys. Take that for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

According to Meltzer, UFC events break even at 250k buys. Take that for what it's worth.

I haven't looked at the numbers in a while but there have to be a lot of shows doing either less than this on a regular basis or close to it now, right?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I haven't looked at the numbers in a while but there have to be a lot of shows doing either less than this on a regular basis or close to it now, right?

Both Barao fights this year were around 223-230, and MM vs Baugatinov was 115k, but everything else has been comfortably above with the exception of 177, which they never released the numbers for and probably did absolutely awful since that was the one where Barao went 0-1 with a bathtub.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Aren't they getting like $100 million a year from Fox now though?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Aren't they getting like $100 million a year from Fox now though?

That's presumably paying for all the free shows they're doing without ppv revenue.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
not including the last two ppvs that will certainly lower the average the ufc has averaged 299k buys per show. not great. who knows what is included in that 250k number though

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

fatherdog posted:

That's presumably paying for all the free shows they're doing without ppv revenue.

You're getting on me for presuming things so be careful with that...

I'd add that the UFC isn't getting chump change from sponsors anymore either. I'm sure back in the Mickey's days they weren't making a huge sum but in the Bud Light/Harley Davidson era they have to be raking in a good amount.

Add to that merchandising which has to make them millions as well. (They grossed over half a million in merchandising at the UFC 110 event alone...one night)

Plus UFC Fight Pass revenue...

They have a lot of avenues for income these days.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Are any of the PPV providers giving more favourable terms now that the wrestling PPVs are gone?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Are any of the PPV providers giving more favourable terms now that the wrestling PPVs are gone?

A greater share of PPV ad buys are now UFC. I mean, I remember hearing that GLORY got a nice PPV deal, but that may have been just a rumor.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

ChampRamp posted:

A greater share of PPV ad buys are now UFC. I mean, I remember hearing that GLORY got a nice PPV deal, but that may have been just a rumor.

glory would be lucky if the head of directv ruffled their hair and gave them their first dollar to frame and hang on the wall after doing 12k buys worldwide

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Scrapez posted:

You're getting on me for presuming things so be careful with that...

It's not a presumption to look at the fact that they're getting paid X amount per year, and the fact that they're doing more free shows, and note that one accounts for the other.

quote:

Add to that merchandising which has to make them millions as well. (They grossed over half a million in merchandising at the UFC 110 event alone...one night)

Fighters get a cut of merchandising that isn't part of their disclosed pay.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Don't forget the UFC Gyms and the soon to open UFC Anti-aging clinics.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

fatherdog posted:

Fighters get a cut of merchandising that isn't part of their disclosed pay.

That is true and good but another thing that disproportionately favors the top end of the fighter pay scale. No one is buying Cat Zingano merchandise because the UFC hardly manufactures or retails Cat Zingano merchandise. Meanwhile I can still log onto the UFC store and buy a Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture or Nate Marquardt fathead.

I agree we don't know enough to draw accurate conclusions at the end of the day but when the argument is the pay floor needs to be raised, pointing to PPV buys and merch cuts don't necessarily counter that when those are things that only really affect the people who are already being paid well.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
these billionaire musclemen are just barely scraping by

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Maybe John Tuck hasn't done anything to deserve a huge payday

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Nifft posted:

UFC Anti-aging clinics.

Great brand synergy here with the line of Haute Couture dresses.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
Why are people defending capital over labor?

fatherdog posted:

Yes, it has, many times in interview by multiple fighters. Sean McCorkle made double his disclosed pay for every fight he had in the UFC, and he went 1-2.

I don't believe think that is consistently true. Miller said the bonuses were nice, but not something he expects or can live off of http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/ufc-172s-jim-miller-says-locker-room-bonuses-happen-here-and-there. If the UFC was consistently paying people bonuses equal to their purses, then they would not just advertise it. There's no reason to not have higher advertised fighter pay if it's consistently good. It would cut off controversy and attract more athletes to the sport potentially. If they were paying people bonuses equal to their purses, why would they be aggressively pursuing favorable contracts when they could just give a more favorable contract and lower the bonus payout?

That is not to mention that a lot of costs of fighting are shifted to the fighter. Lauzon says a fighter earning 15k is breaking about even http://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/1wwj5z/16x_ufc_fighter_joe_lauzon_ama_i_will_start/cf65o9e . Forrest said that fighters should expect to maybe even go into debt for their first 2 fights in the UFC.

Without access to the UFC's financials it is hard to say whether their margins are large enough to up fighter pay, but fighter pay for the average ufc jobber probably is not high enough for it to be career on the level being a marginal basetballer in a euroleague.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Was someone really saying Caraiso's pay didn't seem like enough at 24k? Outside of his friends and family I don't think you could find 10 people that bought the PPV to see him fight. Literally.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Elemennop posted:

D and D is that way

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Elemennop posted:

I don't believe think that is consistently true. Miller said the bonuses were nice, but not something he expects or can live off of http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/ufc-172s-jim-miller-says-locker-room-bonuses-happen-here-and-there. If the UFC was consistently paying people bonuses equal to their purses, then they would not just advertise it. There's no reason to not have higher advertised fighter pay if it's consistently good. It would cut off controversy and attract more athletes to the sport potentially. If they were paying people bonuses equal to their purses, why would they be aggressively pursuing favorable contracts when they could just give a more favorable contract and lower the bonus payout?

That is not to mention that a lot of costs of fighting are shifted to the fighter. Lauzon says a fighter earning 15k is breaking about even http://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/1wwj5z/16x_ufc_fighter_joe_lauzon_ama_i_will_start/cf65o9e . Forrest said that fighters should expect to maybe even go into debt for their first 2 fights in the UFC.

Without access to the UFC's financials it is hard to say whether their margins are large enough to up fighter pay, but fighter pay for the average ufc jobber probably is not high enough for it to be career on the level being a marginal basetballer in a euroleague.

UFC's margins are probably razor thin once you take into account Lorenzo's HGH and Dana's gun-Bibles

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I guess I don't understand how PPVs work technology wise.

They're essentially renting a satellite for 3 hours or so, right? Is there not a lower cost way to broadcast an event that would save everybody money (minus the PVV middlemen)?

Seems like in the year 2014 there would be a replacement to the technology used to order Wrestlemania in the 80s.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the last time i ordered a pay per view was in like 1992 you had to rent a special box from the cable company which cost like 40 bucks plus shipping and handling and then you had to pay for the actual pay per view on top of it and i have since then been completely shocked that its a way that people buy and sell entertainment

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Elemennop posted:

I'm not defending capital over labor, I'm being irritable because this discussion happens once every two months like clockwork and it's always somebody who has no idea about even the very basic known things about fighter pay saying "Fighter pay is too low, why don't they pay them more?" and having the various reasons that pay levels are where they are patiently explained to them.

After you get through

• Fighter pay is higher than disclosed pay
  • We don't actually know what the UFC's net profits are so we have no idea what percentage of them go to fighter pay
  • Some of the profits that aren't fighter pay are still labor-related - Burt Watson doesn't do his job out of the pure goodness of his heart, and there's an awful lot of people involved with setting up and running an event
  • They probably could and "should" have a higher base pay rate for the prelim guys, but they aren't going to do that because they have no real reason to

there really isn't much to talk about. Which doesn't prevent people from talking about it, at length.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Jeremy Stephens vs Charles Oliveira has been booked for the TUF 20 finale :getin:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I watched MacDonald vs. Diaz for the first time last night. Rory's supplexes were super cool, but also by the end of the fight he had figured out that Nate was standing up like an idiot and taking clean shots every time so was essentially baiting him to do it by the third. It didn't really work in the end since the fight ended, but it was cool to see. MacDonald also seemed to have some of Nate's head movement figured out and almost nails him in the head with a kick as Diaz is dodging a jab.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This is the first time I've seen someone say "Well enjoy the next three pages of the bi-monthly fight pay talk" and it came to pass almost exactly. \

Here's some other news to talk about, from the MMA Hour but I didn't see it reported here...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/30/6869573/chris-weidman-aims-to-embarrass-and-make-a-mockery-of-vitor-belfort

quote:

In a recent interview with Combate, Belfort took shots at Weidman, who had to pull out of their Dec. 6 fight date in Las Vegas due to a broken hand.

Apprised of the comments, which were translated from Portuguese, Weidman didn't hold back, saying he'll have something special for the former UFC light heavyweight champion when the two finally meet in a bout expected to take place early next year.

"I'm going to have a lot of fun," Weidman said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "I'm going in there to embarrass him. This is not going to be a close fight, this is going to be a completely, I'm going to embarrass him in that cage. I'm going to make him look like an old man who withered away."

Belfort accused Weidman of wanting 'to keep his belt over Christmas," of pulling out of fight dates, and suggested the UFC create an interim title. In counter, Weidman said that Belfort hasn't fought since last year, and that it was Belfort who pulled out of their first scheduled date after Belfort flunked a drug test.

"This is a guy who, I just fought in July," Weidman said. "It doesn't make any sense, it's not like I've been out for a year. This guy hasn't fought since November. And I was actually, we were supposed to fight. We were lined up to fight in July. And he had to pull out of the fight. And you know why he had to pull out of the fight? He failed a drug test. So this guy is failing drug tests and he has the audacity, he has the balls to start talking junk? About me not fighting. He hasn't fought since November. So what if he gets the belt? So what happens with that? He just makes no sense. That's the bottom line."

The undefeated champion from Long Island then went on to detail what he plans on doing to Belfort once the cage door finally shuts on the duo.

"I want to completely toy with him," Weidman said. "I want to toy with him. I want to beat him up standing, I want to toss him on his butt. Smack him in his mouth a couple times while he's on the ground. Maybe go for a submission, make him almost tap, and let go of it, let him stand up, beat him up on the feet, take him down again, just completely just make a mockery of him."

yes please

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
On one hand I think the base pay in the UFC is more than reasonable since there's no way those guys, especially in today's UFC, are adding 10k of value to any show. On the other it's way too little for what they do to their brains and bodies.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I am willing to vote Weidman for mayor on the strength of his robust "gently caress Vitor" platform

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Nate's head movement

His what now?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Also while Weidman is almost certainly going to win, can we all accept that if Vitor did get him with the blitz and knocks him out in the first it would be really funny

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Dangersim posted:

His what now?

In an appropriately chosen frame of reference, Nate Diaz has head movement. In that same reference frame Michael J Fox is a statue.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

On one hand I think the base pay in the UFC is more than reasonable since there's no way those guys, especially in today's UFC, are adding 10k of value to any show. On the other it's way too little for what they do to their brains and bodies.

its really weird because the agitators for higher pay are dudes like kennedy and volkmann who should, in a just world, be getting punched in the head for free. and somehow the biggest champion of unionization in a sport that contains literal IWW member jeff monson is, of course, tito ortiz

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Dangersim posted:

Also while Weidman is almost certainly going to win, can we all accept that if Vitor did get him with the blitz and knocks him out in the first it would be really funny

I would be heartbroken and probably mope for weeks.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Dangersim posted:

I will sign this petition if he fails a drug test afterwards too.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
This is going to be so very cool & funny when it finally happens exactly as Weidman and everyone smart in this thread for a year has called it

Dangersim posted:

i don't know if you heard this but at least one administration board is actively deterring vitor from injecting horse piss into his mullet and buttocks regions as of 8 months ago

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 30, 2014

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dangersim posted:

His what now?

Well maybe "head movement" is too strong a term.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Novum posted:

I would be heartbroken and probably mope for weeks.

Same

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This is the first time I've seen someone say "Well enjoy the next three pages of the bi-monthly fight pay talk" and it came to pass almost exactly. \

Here's some other news to talk about, from the MMA Hour but I didn't see it reported here...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/30/6869573/chris-weidman-aims-to-embarrass-and-make-a-mockery-of-vitor-belfort

yes please

god Weidman owns

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

This is going to be so very cool & funny when it finally happens exactly as Weidman and everyone smart in this thread for a year has called it

i don't know if you heard this but at least one administration board is actively deterring vitor from injecting horse piss into his mullet and buttocks regions as of 8 months ago

Weidman is the best champion and dismantling Belfort piece by piece over 5 rounds would be an amazing spectacle worth paying for even on a garbage card. He should push for VADA testing for the fight, Vitor's like a walking ad for the necessity of stringent testing. Or an NSAC guy needs to follow him and take a sample every time Vitor takes a piss in the continental US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

yes please

quote:

Belfort accused Weidman of wanting 'to keep his belt over Christmas," of pulling out of fight dates, and suggested the UFC create an interim title.

This is hilariously stupid, even by Vitor's standards.

• Locked thread