Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If someones making an October thread right now I just want to say I throw my vote behind whoever had that "We're dressing up as Bellator all month for Halloween" suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I think you should let vitor use any steroids he wants. Why worry about it so much? We all do things.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Nifft posted:

Don't forget the UFC Gyms and the soon to open UFC Anti-aging clinics.
*a visit to the UFC anti-aging clinic*

Guy: Hi.
Doctor: Don't train at AKA.
Guy: OK, cool.

[fin]

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

fatherdog posted:

I'm not defending capital over labor, I'm being irritable because this discussion happens once every two months like clockwork and it's always somebody who has no idea about even the very basic known things about fighter pay saying "Fighter pay is too low, why don't they pay them more?" and having the various reasons that pay levels are where they are patiently explained to them.

After you get through

• Fighter pay is higher than disclosed pay
  • We don't actually know what the UFC's net profits are so we have no idea what percentage of them go to fighter pay
  • Some of the profits that aren't fighter pay are still labor-related - Burt Watson doesn't do his job out of the pure goodness of his heart, and there's an awful lot of people involved with setting up and running an event
  • They probably could and "should" have a higher base pay rate for the prelim guys, but they aren't going to do that because they have no real reason to

there really isn't much to talk about. Which doesn't prevent people from talking about it, at length.

Add this to the OP DumbWhiteGuy Thanks duder

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

red19fire posted:

Weidman is the best champion and dismantling Belfort piece by piece over 5 rounds would be an amazing spectacle worth paying for even on a garbage card. He should push for VADA testing for the fight, Vitor's like a walking ad for the necessity of stringent testing. Or an NSAC guy needs to follow him and take a sample every time Vitor takes a piss in the continental US.
As fun as a 5 round murder of a beskulleted neanderthal would be, the way I envision the fight going down between Weidman's excellent defense and Belfort's tendency to flame out rapidly when facing adversity is that Weidman is perfectly prepared by Luongo's gameplan to counter vitor's types of early violent rushes with range and footwork, get vitor to the ground sooner than later, and then proceed to bash the poo poo out of his head and body from the top until all his cardio is gone by minute 5, after which Weidman can just pick his sluggish unjuiced rear end apart in round 2 as the opportunities to finish increasingly present themselves.

vitor's strength is/was his strength. He has absolutely none of the top flight technique Silva or Machida had to offer in his own favor.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 30, 2014

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Vitor probably won't make it to the fight and if he does he's going to juice anyways.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

This is hilariously stupid, even by Vitor's standards.

Weidman also pointed out that his injuries have only had him out for a few months. He wanted to fight late this year but all the cards are booked up and he's a draw and they're obviously gonna wait to build the card around him. Accusing "I'll move up and fight JBJ in week" Weidman for ducking or sitting out long on purpose is dumb. He's taken like 3 replacement fights or something like that and offered to do others.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

TheRationalRedditor posted:

vitor's strength is/was his strength. He has absolutely none of the top flight technique Silva or Machida had to offer in his own favor.

What? Vitor's strength was speed. And he does have pretty good technique nowadays. His problem is that he has bad cardio and quits easy.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I hope Weidman keeps talking smack but then just immediately takes Vitor down. And dances all over him like he's getting points for guard passes.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I seriously doubt Vitor has been tested once since the commission meeting. We would have heard about it by now.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

kensei posted:

Add this to the OP DumbWhiteGuy Thanks duder

We've tossed around the idea of an MMA FAQ for a long time but it would require a lot of serious posting and effort and I don't know if we could collectively muster it. Also there are usually a lot of shows to distract people from such things, but next month honestly wouldn't be terrible if we did actually want to go for it. I can get behind it if you all can. I know we are all anxious to talk about how Fedor hangs out with racists.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Did I miss the fighter pay discussion? This is bullshit!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

mewse posted:

Did I miss the fighter pay discussion? This is bullshit!

It's okay, just have a seat on the couch next, watch Fight for the Troops 2 again and have a beer.
Pat Barry just absolutely wrecked Joey Beltran with leg kicks and read off the service number of his dead father from his dogtags before forgetting what he was gonna say and going "EY MAN, THIS IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD", making me forget that I'm not even american for a second.

I miss Pat Barry and I love this dumb sport.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If someones making an October thread right now I just want to say I throw my vote behind whoever had that "We're dressing up as Bellator all month for Halloween" suggestion.

You should all support this suggestion and the extremely clever nerd who originally made it

mewse
May 2, 2006

I liked "and augh dangit, people like me" as a thread title

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's okay, just have a seat on the couch next, watch Fight for the Troops 2 again and have a beer.
Pat Barry just absolutely wrecked Joey Beltran with leg kicks and read off the service number of his dead father from his dogtags before forgetting what he was gonna say and going "EY MAN, THIS IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD", making me forget that I'm not even american for a second.

I miss Pat Barry and I love this dumb sport.

I wish Pat Barry had Cain Velasquez's fighting ability :smith:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Dangersim posted:

What? Vitor's strength was speed. And he does have pretty good technique nowadays. His problem is that he has bad cardio and quits easy.
This disagreement is semantic. His explosive first round rushes are indicative of his willingness to sacrifice a ton of energy to gain a result based upon his blitzing striking power. I'd classify speed as an attribute of a fighter who is consistently fast in their movement, footwork & style and has the endurance to maintain it throughout a fight, like Machida or Mighty Mouse.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LobsterMobster posted:

I wish Pat Barry had Cain Velasquez's fighting ability :smith:

Then he wouldn't be nearly as funny.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
its impossible to know if vitor's hand speed changes as the fight goes on because he's never thrown a punch after the 3:00 minute mark of a fight

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I dunno man, dude said his strength wasn't his technique. I'd say rediculously quick, accurate strikes is a pretty technical thing. Dude might juice and die after the first round, but he knows how to fight.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Weidman also pointed out that his injuries have only had him out for a few months. He wanted to fight late this year but all the cards are booked up and he's a draw and they're obviously gonna wait to build the card around him. Accusing "I'll move up and fight JBJ in week" Weidman for ducking or sitting out long on purpose is dumb. He's taken like 3 replacement fights or something like that and offered to do others.

Yeah, basically most of his road to the belt was made up of taking last minute replacement fights and being one of those guys that will fight whoever whenever so Vitor is just being dumb as usual. The only way he'll have Weidman's belt is begging for an interim title so I guess his strategy checks out.

Looking forward to Vitor getting pounded into paste while we watch and laugh.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

TheRationalRedditor posted:

This disagreement is semantic. His explosive first round rushes are indicative of his willingness to sacrifice a ton of energy to gain a result based upon his blitzing striking power. I'd classify speed as an attribute of a fighter who is consistently fast in their movement, footwork & style and has the endurance to maintain it throughout a fight, like Machida or Mighty Mouse.

If you wanna just make up your own definition of words you can, but I think if you asked people "What is Vitor Belfort's best attribute" they would tell you he's really fast, and I don't think anyone would say, he's really strong.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I want to see belfort blatantly give up his own back and weidman standing up in disgust instead of sinking the submission

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Is Vitor the person that came closest to beating Jones? I know his fight with Gus was close, but Vitor's armbar was pretty legit from what I remember. Also, wasn't everybody riding the Belfort bus for that fight or was it just me? I hate being so alone in my MMA life.

edit - swingin deafie doesn't count because that was dumb

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Vitor is dangerous which is funny because he also crumbles after about 8 minutes of fighting. c.f. his fight vs. Sakuraba.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Depends on your definition of closest. The armbar was really tightand he was close to tapping Jones, but Vitor got steamrolled the rest of the fight. Gustaffson actually showed the skills to hang with him and lost a close decision, so I would say he was closest.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Ariza posted:

Is Vitor the person that came closest to beating Jones? I know his fight with Gus was close, but Vitor's armbar was pretty legit from what I remember. Also, wasn't everybody riding the Belfort bus for that fight or was it just me? I hate being so alone in my MMA life.

Lots of people ride the not-Jones train as Jones fights approach because he's insufferable and Vitor, while also technically insufferable, has turned the corner into hilarity.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Gregor Samsa posted:

Lots of people ride the not-Jones train as Jones fights approach because he's insufferable and Vitor, while also technically insufferable, has turned the corner into hilarity.

I bear no ill will towards Vitor and honestly could not care less if he was on steroids.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Ariza posted:

I think that designation should probably go to Gus, but he did have that armbar pretty well locked up and broke Jones' arm. Of course if we're going to count bone breaks that nearly ended fights then you gotta slot Sonnen in there too. Please do not tell me otherwise, tia.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Who is hated more definitely fluctuates back and forth between the specific circumstances of modern MMA's timeline and what odious thing has happened most recently. jones has certainly taken fewer PEDs than belfort, but he also gets his fingers into way more eyeballs. it's a crapSHOOT, brother

Dangersim posted:

If you wanna just make up your own definition of words you can, but I think if you asked people "What is Vitor Belfort's best attribute" they would tell you he's really fast, and I don't think anyone would say, he's really strong.
I didn't make up anything, I qualified my own parameters of a speedy fighter that I believe many posters here would probably agree with. every fighter who is known for knockouts moves their hands and feet very, very fast at some point in a fight

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

coconono posted:

Then he wouldn't be nearly as funny.

I just followed up with his fight on Cruz vs. Johnson and we were one supporting elbow away from Pat snatching the greatest slam-KO in (popularly covered and recited) MMA history from Rampage, and in this state of contemplation over all the great Barry-related things that could have been, I'm loathe to consider him funny.
:colbert:

Then again...mustard.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Vitor and Jones was cool because it featured Jones getting a fight against a middleweight, everyone expected Vitor to get picked up, thrown on his face and elbowed in under two minutes, but he did crazy poo poo like pull guard and came extremely close to pulling off a hail mary arm bar. It was cool to see a guy know he was going to get wrecked with ground and pound say gently caress it, and attack that way anyway because he had faith in his BJJ. It was all at once the best thing Vitor has ever done in the cage, a tribute to the beginnings of UFC and a rare show of courage from a dude to that point known primarily for crumbling mentally when over matched.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ariza posted:

It was Bonnar, Bonnar came the closest.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Dangersim posted:

I bear no ill will towards Vitor and honestly could not care less if he was on steroids.

I wouldn't say I bear ill will toward Vitor but I do think he is an idiot and says stupid poo poo on the regular. I find his steroid use more funny than outrageous and I don't think steroid use is a reason to hate a fighter. This is unlikely to endear me to PSP but on a personal level, I find his outspoken Christianity annoying and he has apparently said totally unsurprising but repugnant poo poo about gay people while training around SoCal.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, I guess there isn't much excitement for the Fight night card in Stockholm this coming weekend, even though I look forward to going despite the loss of TKZ. However the UFC put up a fairly neat little documentary about a few of the Swedish fighters that I thought was worth posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLYe-gt2YGM

Personally I most look forward to seeing how Bäckström preforms. He is easily the fighter most experts here Believe have the potential to become a really succesful fighter besides Gustafsson. It's also helps that he has tons of confidence and likes to run his mouth a lot. He's a bit like an autistic Northern Swedish version oc Conor Mcgregor.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Gregor Samsa posted:

I wouldn't say I bear ill will toward Vitor but I do think he is an idiot and says stupid poo poo on the regular. I find his steroid use more funny than outrageous and I don't think steroid use is a reason to hate a fighter. This is unlikely to endear me to PSP but on a personal level, I find his outspoken Christianity annoying and he has apparently said totally unsurprising but repugnant poo poo about gay people while training around SoCal.

I can accept this as leftover feelings from the Bisping fight.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I'm actually pretty pumped for the main event this weekend, Gunnar is a really cool prospect and I think Rick Story is pretty much a perfect test for him at this point.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The Gunnar Nelson fight is cool and I look forward to it, but a great name like TKZ in the co main wouldn't have hurt. It also feels a Little as if a few of the opponents for the Swedish fighters on the card have been picked to give the hometown crowd some nice wins. But all in all I look forward to it. Hopefully it will be a fun card.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

vainman posted:

Although Zuffa could afford to spend more on salary, there is no pressure for them to do so. Economics 101.

Lmao thanks dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Neil Magny is fighting at the end of the month.

He's like Cerrone except terrible.

• Locked thread