Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Holdbrooks posted:

Do you need any sort of parts for that miata to help the sale? I still have everthing not needed for the exocet.

How are the wheels and tires?
Also it keeps rattling the sunvisor screws loose and I've lost 2 of them, and both Miata's in the yard have the visors missing already...

Other than that, it's really buttoned up and should be a stupidly reliable daily. Only time it left me stranded was when the 7 year old battery quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

some texas redneck posted:

For $900 I'd be glad if the brakes worked and the engine didn't tell knock knock jokes (yes, I stole that from you). And you really don't need AC most of the year in MN, do you?

We're still hitting high 80s/low 90s during the day here. :smithicide:

(how the gently caress does a dealer sell anything under at least $2k and still make a profit?)

It gets really hot and humid here during the summer. It's miserable without AC.

You make profit the same way you do on any other used car: buy it for cheap and mark it up. Cheap cars are good for us because they bring attention to our business.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mafoose posted:

Welp, second time my car friend has bought a car I've asked him to check out for me.

Guess I won't be returning the favor anymore.
Some people are dicks and they just can't see why.

That is profoundly hosed up. He is not a friend.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

meatpimp posted:

That is profoundly hosed up. He is not a friend.

You know, I wonder if his name is Rich.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

goatse guy posted:

It gets really hot and humid here during the summer. It's miserable without AC.

You make profit the same way you do on any other used car: buy it for cheap and mark it up. Cheap cars are good for us because they bring attention to our business.

Even the BHPH lots don't really go under $2500 from what I've seen, and I can't imagine MN getting anywhere near as hot as here. I mean, we break 110 in the summer more often than I'd like to admit.

It does get muggy here, but nothing like Miami or Houston. Way, way too humid to use swamp coolers (i.e. bend me over backwards and gently caress me with no lube when the electric bill shows up in August), but not nearly as bad as a tropical climate. My old mechanic's monthly electric bill, including cooling a nearly 5000 sq ft shop with central ac, is far less than my monthly electric bill (he's on 3 phase, I'm not; I have 2400 sq ft with 18 ft ceilings and one ac unit, he has 3 ac units spread across the building. also, he's on 3 phase, on a city-owned grid, while I'm on a deregulated grid that costs close to 2x as much per kwh).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome, Albertsons has announced that their point of sale systems also got hacked.

... they have what boils down to proprietary 386s and 486s based crap (NCR RealPOS stuff) handling their point of sale terminals. It's essentially a much older version of the NCR RealPOS stuff I used when I worked at Whole Foods, except running DOS 3.3 instead of XP Embedded. Basically an older version of the same hardware I used, right down to the exact same PIN pads. Those PIN pads are well known to be vulnerable to man in the middle attacks (sup Verifone?), and are, at least in my own experience, the most widely used PIN pad in this area. I think the POS terminals I used were Core 2 Duo running XP Embedded.

I'm more amazed that anyone is even selling a service contract to Albertsons for this ancient poo poo, it's at least 20 years old today. Even for point of sale, that's loving ancient, and I know damned well it's long, long "not supported".

Upside: I haven't been to Albertsons in over a year

Downside: Uh, well, Albertsons closed most of their stores here except for the oldest ones, and largely exited DFW aside from lower income areas. I haven't been to one in over a year, so.. no downside for me personally. USAA re-issued my cards, my credit union is supposed to re-issue my debit card. I haven't even seen an Albertsons since I lived in Denton visited my dad in El Paso.

NCR RealPOS is the second most common large scale point of scale system (talking about stuff like grocery stores, big box, etc), trailing IBM midframe based systems by a a little. So expect a lot more of this poo poo. IBM stuff tends to at least be *NIX based (with a System/3xx backend, while NCR tends to do x86/x64 based for pretty much everything). The IBM poo poo is absolutely not user friendly in any way, but it's insanely powerful and can do an incredible amount of insane poo poo.

For reference: both the Home Depot and Target hacks involved NCR RealPOS man in the middle attacks. I'm a bit shocked that they managed to carry the attack over to the ancient DOS based systems (which have a Win NT 3.x backend, if you're lucky).

The PIN pads can be configured to work with drat near anything with RS232 or USB.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 30, 2014

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Having dealt with them, it still provides me endless amusement that the acronym is POS. It's perfect.

As an aside, when I was working retail the company had till screens with a card slot that we slid the card into, and the customer only used the (Verifone!) pad to enter their PIN. The story was some store had a huge data breach and this was the more secure method. It worked fine except the one time somebody tried to pay with an AmEx without a chip and the till freaked out. Fucker was angry he couldn't get his .005 of an air-mile on the £5 he was spending. :rolleyes:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh man, I still have so much "secret" Verifone documentation... from when I worked in the payment industry in 1997-1999. They really haven't changed jack poo poo on them, aside from being IP based instead of dialup. The most hilarious part: I put in a 2 week notice that had me quit in the middle of the week instead of on a weekend, and my boss said "lol gonna have security give you a hard time". Walked out with all of the documentation I'd written, on paper, and on a burned CD, by just shoving all of it into my backpack.

The look you get on people's faces when the register shows "PIN PAD TEST" after you hit a couple of buttons.. :haw:

e: 99.999995% of it is laughably outdated, but a tiny bit still works to at least get into diagnostics.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 30, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

goatse guy posted:

Sounds like you need to lower your standards.

They are already super low. They are basically "not a bitch" and "less fat than me".

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

There's always Grindr. :quagmire:

I'm hardly kastein (and nowhere near his build :btroll: ), but Dickies either fall apart immediately or hold together forever. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with them - I've had the buttons pop off on the first wear, and had them last for years (pants). Generally they last forever.

They have a decent warranty if you keep your receipt though. Basically email/call them to get an RMA, mail whatever you destroyed to TX, get new garment in the mail. And they're forgiving about the receipts.

The last car I had with dead a/c was a $200 1995 Civic. Black on black, it was misery to drive in August. I had the parts to fix it (high side hose + dryer), but managed to get in the way of an 18 wheeler before I could play parts swapper. It would blow cold for about 6 hours if you charged it before then. :haw:

I'm trying this tinder thing. We will see how it goes. I don't like how it ties into facebook, I'm pretty concerned about what access my facebook considering I have admin access to my workplace's facebook...

Pantschat: I keep wearing though the pockets on my Levi's-- Only the pockets. If I didn't like the cut so much I would be looking elsewhere.

And I destroyed the AC lines on my beater Celica when I was drunk and hooking up a toe rope, so my brother could drag it across the driveway with his truck. Makes me sad, because the AC still worked (sorta) in that thing.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

They are already super low. They are basically "not a bitch" and "less fat than me".
Dudes are way easier to get, just sayin.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

alternate.eago posted:

I'm trying this tinder thing. We will see how it goes.

I've had a couple of dates from matches on Tinder. Nothing further than a second date with any of them, but they were pleasant enough company, we just didn't 'click'.

As an average-looking dude, you have to swipe right a lot. I think I'm sitting at around a 100:1 swipe:match ratio at best, and maybe 10% of those actually led to meeting up.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I just got like 6 matches. I just logged in like 45 minutes ago. It's weird, I don't think I'm attractive, what in the hell do these other people see? Are they looking at their phone through the bottom of a beer glass?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Tinder broke a nearly 2 year dry spell.

It's pretty good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elviscat posted:

Have yah' tried Wolverine's yet? Bought a pair for a friend who worked construction, still functional after two years, including concrete soaking, which is as bad as it gets for leather.

Not yet. I've been trying to stay under $150 a pair.

Raluek posted:

Kastein, what pants do you wear? I've been super disappointed in Levis just falling the gently caress apart, and BDUs look dorky day to day. It's hard for me to find poo poo that fits, and you are a fellow tall skinny person who is hard on clothing; I was just thinking earlier today that I should ask you. And here we are! I was thinking of giving Dickies a shot, next.

I actually need like a 34x36 or 34x37 so I usually end up with $15 34x34 faded glory carpenter jeans. They last a year or two before they start getting bad, and by that point I've managed to make them into a greasy mess anyways so whatever.

drat those are expensive. Might have to give em a shot though.

Sounding like Wolverine, Redwing, or those. Or I might just be a cheap rear end in a top hat and get another set of Carolinas, I've been quite happy with them aside from the shorter than expected lifespan.

Dickies either fall apart immediately or hold together forever.
I have one pair of them and so far so good, I actually like them more than my other standard, $15 Faded Glory carpenters jeans.

jammyozzy posted:

Having dealt with them, it still provides me endless amusement that the acronym is POS. It's perfect.

Even better, the NCR ones are called RealPOS :v: That HAS to be an inside joke in the engineering team.

e: note - I am NOT looking for fashion here. I don't give a rats rear end what my pants look like, or what I look like in them. I want durable pants that have enough pockets for the variety of tools and spare parts I usually have on me when working on cars/my house, and I want them as cheap as possible (within reason.) It's assumed that they'll be unfit for public use within two years due to oil and grease staining :v:

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 30, 2014

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I'm not very good at this Tinder thing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I go through work boots pretty fast working outside every day and the set of Wolverines I have now are the only ones that have lasted more than a year. They are also still waterproof after all this time. Luckily I caught them on sale for like $85 but knowing how well they hold up Id pay full price next time if I have to.

Also 2 goon recommended movies on netflix I just watched were good, Kid Cannabis (someone in this thread) and Out of the Furnace (ultimateforce). The main character in Kid Cannabis is soooo STR with the hair and the glasses and the weed, haha.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

Haha. I'm guessing you never got a reply for that?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

goatse guy posted:

You are doin it right. gently caress them if they don't have a sense of humor.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

goatse guy posted:

Tinder Fails

hahaha those are great. Good to know grindr/scruff/whatever arent the only ones good for the funny.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It does get muggy here, but nothing like Miami or Houston. Way, way too humid to use swamp coolers (i.e. bend me over backwards and gently caress me with no lube when the electric bill shows up in August), but not nearly as bad as a tropical climate.

I currently live in a 625 sq. ft apartment and keep my summertime thermostat set at 74. My power bill this past month was loving $153. For 625 sq. ft. At 74 degrees!

Also goatse guy those Tinder correspondences were great.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any time a girl says crippling loneliness is pretty much perfect. :v:

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

goatse guy posted:

I think I'm in love. :stwoon:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cards Against Tindermanity

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
How have I spent all morning swiping and not actually doing anything productive?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

alternate.eago posted:

How have I spent all morning swiping and not actually doing anything productive?

Welcome to Tinder. If I had data coverage or wifi at the site I'm working right now I would do nothing but gently caress around on Tinder and Snapchat between fixing broke poo poo. Instead I have to act busy.

Apparently I should move to Germany though because I'm getting a LOT more matches here than home.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 30, 2014

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I don't have a ton of people on my snapchat list. If I did, they would get pictures of crazy stuff around DC and my sad broken house.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
queue spergy discussion from earlier about snapchat being crap, everyone posting their u/n, et al.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

We did a snapchat name swap in here not long ago
I'm freelop722 if you want to add

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

alternate.eago posted:

I'm going to end up with arthritis in my thumbs from how much time I have spent on tinder.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Tinder requires a Facebook for authentication, doesn't it? I'd love an easy way to waste time but not so much a facebooker

I put the top of the jeep on last night since the cool weather has arrived, but a part of me wanted to iron-man it as deep into the winter as possible. Bombing around while it's 20 degrees and snowing heavily sounds so hilarious

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm kastein1986 on snapchat and mostly yell about snapchat being broken, post pictures of broken houses and broken subarus/jeeps.

So basically the same thing as on here.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'd give you guys my Snapchat but all you'd get is incredibly dumb selfies and pictures of whatever movie i'm currently watching. I'm a boring fucker :v:

EDIT: Blegh. Screw it, take my SA name and add a second g next to the first for Snapchat loving around-ness.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 30, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/work-pants-for-men/92204.aspx

These are my favorite work pants.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

My snapchat is szidev if anybody cares. Not much interesting content from me. Probably half of my pictures are pooping selfies.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Two long island iced teas while waiting for my meal to arrive on an empty stomach was an excellent idea, then .5L beer with/after dinner. Picking up chocolate on the way back to the hotel was also an excellent idea.

Added those of you I didn't have to snapchat.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

ssjonizuka posted:

queue spergy discussion from earlier about snapchat being crap, everyone posting their u/n, et al.

Well since I missed it, my snapchat u/n is sometimespoppit I haven't snapped it much because most of my friends don't use it, but my brother and his friends do. This will probably change if I get more people to send things to.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

savesthedayrocks posted:

gently caress them if they don't have a sense of humor.
I think you have this wrong.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

All the Duluth stuff is pretty awesome. I wish there were a retailer a little closer to me.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

alternate.eago posted:

Well since I missed it, my snapchat u/n is sometimespoppit I haven't snapped it much because most of my friends don't use it, but my brother and his friends do. This will probably change if I get more people to send things to.

Doesn't mean I don't use it (well, not much anyways) - was more a comment on the cyclical discussion about snapchat. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The only reason I even have snapchat is so I can bother AIers with dumb bullshit I find at work or cat pictures.

terrible_robot if anyone wants to add me.

• Locked thread